All I want for XMAS... is surgery?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Dec 16, 2019.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Haha -- that's exactly what happened with an old woman I knew. After the first one she refused the second.

I have a relative who's facing two knee replacements. She told me a few days ago that her orthopedist wants to do them three months apart.

moosie likes this.
  2. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Conversation at the initial visit when it was realized that both knees needed to be replaced (no surprise to me):

Doc: "I could do one, then come back in 6-8 weeks and do the other. Or, I could do both at the same time"

Me: "Well you know doc, I was born and raised in Jersey City."

Doc: "What does that have to do with anything?"

Me: "In my old neighborhood, if a guy cuts you, you cut him back the very next time you see him."

Doc: "Well in that case we'll do both at once and then I'm going to France!"

I thought he was joking, but as it turned out, that was exactly what happened. I never saw him again, except immediately after I came to. When I asked his assistant about it at my 2 week post-op visit, he told me that he'd gone to France. True story.

As it turned out, this was nowhere as bad as I imagined it was going to be. It was actually my hope that I'd have both done at the same time. The first few days at home were tough, but by the third I was walking with a cane only. After a week, I really only used the cane for balance (and swagger). I was 66 at the time and believe me, I'm no NFL athlete or insane tough guy. Sleep was hard to come by at first, but to eliminate pain from my life has been a beautiful thing.

Hope each day is better and better for you, moosie.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    moosie and stormsedge like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.