All I want for XMAS... is surgery?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Dec 16, 2019.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I had surgery on my right shoulder 22 years ago. For the time afterward when my arm was in a sling, I traded cars with a friend whose car had an automatic transmission. Do that if you can.

Good luck with the surgery.

moosie and Greggorios like this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

You can do it! Just make sure to work hard in the follow-up PT, that seems to be just as important as having the surgery.

I’d worn out my right shoulder before I was 40, too much of everything:lol: I managed a full recovery, but I’m still cognizant of taking care of things. Warm up and/or stretch before activities, etc.

3. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I'm in the "Doctor! I'm broken! Fix me!" group.
    Get-er-done and God's speed brother!

4. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Hang in there moosie.

As a veteran of more ortho surgeries than I care to remember, I say be patient and do what the doc and therapsist tell you, and you'll get through it.
    8 weeks isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, and if it takes longer you just do what must be done. My last surgery was 6 months before I could put any weight on my leg, that was a real pain in the butt. Every day my dog gave me a disgusted look as if to say" don't tell me your going to spend another day laying around".

When I was much younger I really messed myself up because I thought I knew more than the doc, and didn't follow orders. That turned into an ordeal that lasted twice as long as it should have.

Hopefully you keep a positive attitude, and heal quickley. You will get through this, and you will be in better shape because of it.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  5. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Good luck with the surgery! It's amazing how we can do something all throughout our lives and then just that one time something goes south. I did a similar thing with a knee ligament years ago doing a movement I've done millions of times. But just that ONE time...

I hope it goes well and you heal quickly and get back to the guitar!

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wishing you patience and a speedy recovery . Give mother nature the time she needs to heal your shoulder. Years ago I used to travel extensively with some flights taking 10-12 hours. Time can run painfully slow on those trips. The only thing that worked consistently for me was getting buried in good, long books, particularly a well written novel. Start reading and suddenly 3-4 hours have passed in a blink of an eye. James Clavell, Robert Ludlum and Herman Wouk all became good friends in those days.

Best of luck.

G

moosie likes this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Heal up! do the PT... it pays off.

harlycarly, moosie and boris bubbanov like this.
  8. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a reluctant wish list of orthopedic procedures, for both me and the wife. And, like you, I'm pretty sure the cortisone alone will be insufficient. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You can dream up novel wiring arrangements while you're healing!

moosie likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope everything goes well, and that you recover to your previous condition and can do everything you want to do when it's all done. Fire up that TV and watch the 2000 or so episodes of Law and Order, when you're finished do an Elvis on your TV, you'll be ready to.

moosie likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There may be a connection between the failure, and the limited sorts of things you were doing so much of. There's a lot to be said for the fitness we gain by being 100% mobile and able to do basically unlimited amounts of all kinds of activities. When your list of choices of what you can do is limited, you probably didn't have a healthy balance going on there with that shoulder.

Has the surgeon done a lot of these? There's been huge advancements in what surgeons can do to fix some kinds of shoulder injuries, but the surgeon still needs to have plenty of seat time or the percentage of success goes down.

Getbent is 100% about the PT. It could be the single most important aspect of your recovery.

So, here's to voice lessons and lots of time spent singing! And reading books I suppose. What else ya gonna do? :^)

moosie likes this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well I'm still here. Managing the pain okay in my recliner. Pain was rough coming out of surgery - they have a hard time dealing with people on chronic pain meds I guess.

All the docs, nurses and techs were great, but the pain management policies were a little disappointing, as usual.

They sent me home with this fantastic ice machine. My wife has been running around getting ice to fill it, getting funny looks because of the 0 degree temps around here.

I put all my guitars away in their cases because I figured I wouldn't be using them for a while, but I left two Telecasters out and they are just calling to me. They glow when I walk into the room :).

I've been re-reading a John Sandford 'Davenport ' novel, and Tom Wheeler's Stratocaster Chronicles, which has been on my shelf for a long time and I never actually read it before.

Hopefully I get this sling off on Monday, although if it still hurts this much I don't really want it off. But progressing pretty well for just two days after surgery.

One of my grandsons loaned me his new toy, one of those 'grabbers' that old people use to pick stuff up that's out of reach.

I had been making my wife a Christmas present in the shop, a picture frame, I didn't get to finish it. I was worried because I didn't have anything for her for Christmas. So yesterday I called the jeweler ... :D Two hours later my son swung by the store and picked up a couple of small wrapped boxes. Good to go. I feel better about that.

12. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Best wishes Moosie

13. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries, I highly recommend an adjustable bed frame If you don't have one.

14. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Good Luck! from me as well! Hope you are soon on the mend and playing again.

15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

That sucks. Hope it goes well and you blast through expectations with your recovery.

16. moosie

Another update (because I figure a lot of you guys with sore shoulders are going 'hmmmm....')

Things are breaking down into:

Days 1-3 post-op: severe pain, needed to remain immobile in a recliner, with arm in a tight sling, constant icing more or less. Range of motion, near zero.

Days 4-8: Each day has noticeable improvement. I was sooo ready to get the sling off on day 5. No more ice needed, not even intermittent. Got a waterproof dressing, so I'm able to take a hot shower. Range of motion limited but improving. Pain lessening so that by day 8 I'm only taking my normal base narcotic dose (for my unrelated chronic illness), plus an extra 1/4 dose once or twice a day.

Now it's day 9, and I received an IVIG infusion today, along with some steroid to combat side effects. This happens every ten days as part of my chronic treatment, and I last got an infusion the day before surgery.

I'm not sure if it's the infusion meds, or just time, but jeez, this evening my shoulder pain is nearly gone. Range of motion is double, triple what it was this morning. I can put a shirt on over my head (cleverly... but still). I can sit at my desk and touch type on a full size keyboard. I can PLAY GUITAR! I just grabbed a Tele and spent twenty minutes chicken pickin. Keep in mind for the two months leading up to the operation, I could only play for five minutes at most, due to the pain.

Still not ready for push-ups... or slicing bread..... :D

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve never had shoulder surgery, but that sounds like extraordinary progress! At least you can play! That’s gotta be a load off your mind.

moosie likes this.
  18. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Moosie,

Just take it slow in the beginning and do only what you're supposed to. Pay STRICT attention to what they tell you to do. I'm sure you'll have PT and exercises, follow them with OCD precision. After your 8 weeks, a little stint with a personal trainer at the local gym could really help down the road.

I had a double knee replacement 2 years ago. I built a "nest" in the area I was prepared to hang out in. I had plenty of ice water, access to cold drinks (non alcoholic) and health treats like fresh fruit, nuts, all the healthiest nibbles I could find, and everything very accessible. Psychologically it made a big difference in pain management (my misspent youth prohibits me from using narcotics). Let people help you, and don't overdue.

One of the best things I found to do was listen to lots of music of my choice with headphones on. For me it was Coltrane, Miles, Allmans Live at the Fillmore, Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokum, Michael Bloomfield, BB, Freddie and Albert King, classical and acoustic guitar, you get the picture. I also forced myself to go down the rabbit hole and listen to a service like Pandora and I discovered a lot of music I'd been previously unfamiliar with. That was a silver lining in the clouds for me.

Pain sux. My hope is that after what you've been through, yours will get some relief.

moosie likes this.
  19. moosie

"Nest". Good descriptive. That's exactly what it was.

The night before surgery, I rearranged bed and recliner in my little sitting room. Moved the bed, testing so I could get in and out of it with my hand in my pocket. Pushed a couple of tables together next to the recliner, and extended the footrest actuator handle with a vaccuum cleaner part, so I could use it left-handed. Thought out the power strip arrangement, so I could charge the phone, and use my BiPAP and heating pad (which I didn't need). More stuff like that. Took my time with it, but still found the reality pretty difficult to make do, when the arm was completely immobilized.

I start PT in four days. Feeling how I do now, it should be pretty tolerable, even at first.

Double-knee... do they recommend that because they know you will never come back for the second, if you only do one? Otherwise, seems extremely difficult. At least I could walk around, make it to the bathroom, etc.

stormsedge likes this.
  20. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Heal well, don’t overdo it. Prayers for a rapid recovery. Your progress so far is very encouraging!

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.