1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

All I need now is a cheap fuzz box

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Obsessed, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don’t be so cheap. If you want the Big Muff sound, buy a Big Muff. EHX has responded to the booteek fad by re-releasing a variety of updated reissues. The Nano series are true bypass, have normal 9-volt power jacks, and come in NYC, Russian, Op Amp, Triangle, and Ram’s Head flavors. More important, it has the EHX name on the front. They invented the Big Muff and nurtured the product line for 50 years. $70 -$100 for a real BMP is not really that expensive and they deserve the support.

2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You could do a lot worse than spending a couple of hours here: http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html It's pretty much the definitive source of info about all the different Big Muff versions, with sound clips, gut shots, etc.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I say no reason to pay boutique prices for garage trash sound, which is what fuzz is, anyway (in a very cool way)

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Ouch. You are touching my soul with that comment. I know you are correct. Dang, and I have such a guilty conscious too. Oh whoa, the angst. I definitely have to mull this over. Thanks ... I think.;)

5. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Biyang Baby Boom Fuzz Star! Three different flavors in one! I like mine - don't use it much, but I break it out now and then. I have the Moen Fuzz Moo, also. That's a great pedal, but I think I've over my fuzz lust at this point.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Sweetwater has the Pigtronix Disnortion Micro Analog Fuzz and overdrive pedal on sale right now for $49.99. I just ordered one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...nortion-micro-analog-fuzz-and-overdrive-pedal

but really and truly, as required by TDPRI bylaws, there is one and only one and am I the first one to intone:

RAT! RAT! RAT! ONE OF US! RAT!!!

EDIT: wait, what? Am I reading post #10 correct? You already pulled the trigger? Amazon chinese? oh, @Obsessed , I'm worried about a slippery slope here...

well ok, but you could have gotten RAT.....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

EHX has made some really great pedals. they've also made some cheap garbage and their own fair share of knockoffs. brand loyalty is pretty senseless unless they're paying you.

in some cases, i think buying the cheap version of a pedal will lead to players buying the real thing to have a better made pedal. but in the case of EHX, i don't think their quality is any better than the Chinese companies copying them. and that fuzz moo is really well built

i love me some rat. the big box reissue is one of my all time favorites...

but speaking of Amazon Chinese... if you're looking for a rat-alike... there's none better than the Mosky Super Rat. $30 shipped and the only rat pedal that comes close to my big box (better than the Rat2 in my opinion)
    Capture+_2019-11-25-11-32-51-1.png

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/174057560710

teletimetx likes this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+1 I paid $42 OTD for a lightly used one a few weeks ago, I sold my Park Fuzz Sound the next day.. Shouldn't be hard to find a used Muff for < $50 w/a bit of patience.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

My first thought was a Big Muff.

There’s also a silicon BBE Windowpane for under 50 GC used. I don’t know anything about it, but BBE are quality affordable pedals.

Bump up your budget to 60-70 and there are tons and tons of options.

10. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

Biyang Baby Boom Fuzz Star is a steal or get a green russian ehx and be doen

11. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Second vote for the Moen Fuzz Moo. That thing is just great.

Regarding the Jack White sound, his live and studio stuff mostly revolved around the 2000’s era Big Muff, aka what you would currently be getting if you buy the big silver box version or the white Nano Big Muff. The nano in particular is very cheap on the used market and is true bypass.

The Biyang Fuzz Star is another cheap Big Muff clone, that might be worth looking into as well though I personally have not tried it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.