1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

All I need now is a cheap fuzz box

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Obsessed, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, fallen off the wagon with my new Chinese full hollow P-90 with a very loud Jack White sound kick hitting me hard. Got the feedback going, so now I need a fuzz pedal. With Black Friday coming and Christmas just around the corner, it seems like perfect timing. I am a clean to dirty OD player and have never ventured into fuzz, so this first shot is a total experiment, but I want White's Big Muff fuzz sound for dirt cheap. If I can find it on Amazon, I can put it on my wish list and my guitar playing step-daughter will almost assuredly snap it up for me for sure. If a little more, I could spend some time looking for Black Friday deals.

I already know about Chicago Stomps's Bald Fat Guy at $60. I want to beat that. Donner has one for $29.99, but more 60s vintage sound. Would that matter to a fuzz first timer? I am willing to buy a real McCoy fuzz clone used on FleaBay if it can come in under $30. Oh, and I don't care about the battery thing either way or the pedal size, just give me some fuzz.

Okay, one last challenge. I'm a f****** boutique pedal snob, so no plastic crap or a pedals dying after two weeks. Plus, it has to be true bypass, so no Boss stuff either. Yeah, it took me ages to finish my perfect pedalboard, so this pedal will never see it. If I get hooked, I'll get the right thing later on.

Sample:

Whatcha got?

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

With a budget that low and other requirements you might have to break out the ol soldering gun

Might be able to get a rat for around that much proco rat is technically a fuzz I don’t think it will do white stripes though

Obsessed and beyer160 like this.
  3. Fretting out

It may be over kill but to get a tone like that I put a tone bender through an op amp big muff clone

I’d say expand the budget if possible and just get a big muff although I don’t know if they are true bypass they work forever and are a great gateway fuzz and can be found for 80 bucks new so I’m sure used will be closer to your budget

straightface and Obsessed like this.
  4. Obsessed

$80 new? I didn't even look.:oops: Okay, maybe I should check fleaBay. Thanks for pointing that out.

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

this thing. they sell them in standard MXR-sized boxes too for about $50. it's the best muff on the market... and I'm including the real thing in that assertion. it's based off the ram's head big muff and sounds killer.

if Jack White tone is more to your liking, you might be better off with an old bender style fuzz. but for big muffs... check out that fuzz moo

OttoCorrect and Obsessed like this.
  6. Obsessed

OMG, there are zillions of different Big Muffs.:eek: I had no idea. The prices on fleaBay are all over the place. WTF?:confused: A green one went for $35 with some "wicker" thing.o_O Does that matter?

7. Obsessed

Ooh yeah, that is what I am looking for. Is the Rams head Big Muff a Pi Big Muff? Or is a Pi Big Muff the same as a Rams Head Big Muff?:lol: Okay, yeah, I have no idea what I am talking about here.

I suppose the Moo Fuzz sells on fleaBay used too. I'll check. Thank you for all of the info.

Hiker likes this.
  8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

yeah... "rams head" is a version of the big muff pi. there's like a dozen or so variants that were built in the 50-ish years they've made the big muff. i haven't tried them all... i just know the fuzz moo is a lot thicker sounding than most muffs which tend to have a mid scoop that gets drowned in a band setting. the fuzz moo has a lot more balls in the mids, especially in the lower mids

Obsessed and Hiker like this.
  9. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Can I make a suggestion? Build your own. GGG has a kit, and their Green Russian clone has become a mainstay in my lineup. OP, if you would like any of my extra (custom) parts, let me know. I'll be glad to mail parts to you, OP (gratis) for your 'fuzz' project!

Bottom left:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    telemnemonics and Obsessed like this.
  10. Obsessed

Got it, thanks. Wow, how time flies. These old pedals have been made for a heck of a long time now. How did I avoid this for so long?

Good news is that the Moo Fuzz coming straight from China on fleaBay for $36/free shipping. Excellent! Gonna be hard to beat that, especially coming with your recommendation. Top of the list. Thank you again.

brandonh likes this.
  11. Obsessed

Wow, thank you for the idea and the super offer. I would normally consider building one. I've modded a DS-1 many moons ago, but this is more of a quick experiment in an effect and I'm going to be in busy holiday mode starting in a few days, so I think I'd rather spend my free time playing instead of building. It is a great option that I did not even think about ... and I love DIY projects to no end. Hmmmm. Something to chew on.

I looked this kit up. Why do I see a Moo Fuzz box as part of one of these kits? For $19. Wow, this might just be the avenue to take. I'll have to think about this one. A really good option. Thanks.

Hiker and Fretting out like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a new fuzz pedal for $10 bucks delivered a while back. I keep forgetting to try it out. It's a Muzzizy or something like that. I think it's a big muff clone. Not sure.

I like the look of the DOD carcosa. From what I can tell from YouTube demos it sounds good used in a variety of ways.

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Fretting out

To clear things up if it’s still in the running I was referring to this big muff it’s just the original full size one they still sell image.jpg

the tone wicker is okay it’s the Same circuit with more tone shaping possibilities

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Good to know. Thanks. I'll be keeping an eye out on fleaBay, but those Moo Fuzz look like a heck of a hard deal to beat.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Obsessed

You are forgetting to try out a new pedal you received?:eek: That could be a Stomp Box card pulling offense.:mad:

Okay, you owe our society some clarification about this pedal to redeem yourself.;):lol:

Chunkocaster, Hiker and telemnemonics like this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

:D
    I had to buy it when I spotted the price. I did plug it in to a fly 3 to see if it powered up before putting it away somewhere safe and forgetting about it. I know where it is now so will have a play with it tomorrow. It's in a weird looking mini green enclosure but the knobs and switch look like the same layout as donner, mooer etc. Its probably got the same guts inside just in a uglier case than the others.:)

Obsessed likes this.
  17. teleaddicted

teleaddicted Tele-Holic

EHX Deluxe Big Muff PI

Screenshot_20191125-115844_Samsung Internet.jpg

Obsessed likes this.
  18. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Rowin LEF-606 + Tom's Line G-Fuzz.

Both cheaper than breathing, have different characteristics, true bypass and sound ruddy awesome!

Buy both within your budget and fall down the velvet lined hole that is fuzz.

Obsessed likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Behringer fuzz in the last 1/3rd or so, plus info on their line

Obsessed and blowtorch like this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've heard some people don't like theirs, but I really want one of these

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.