1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

All bodies on bikes.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Apr 5, 2021.

1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

take it easy.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Good advice...I have not trained at all this year except to ride the weekly MTB rides. Despite riding with the D group, I expect to pay handsomely on the road ride. My motto: Start slow and taper off;).

gregulator450 and drf64 like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

With my bad knees I can’t imagine riding a bike now.

Alex_C likes this.
  4. stormsedge

My "first" road bike is a Schwinn Cross Cut I purchased for the commute while living in Japan during the early '90s. Four years ago, I passed it to my grandson and then ended up swapping him some high end skateboard stuff to get it back (wanted the frame mostly). Overhauled and upgraded it, then rode it in my first distance event Three Mountain Three State out of Chattanooga (more ride than a novice biker should have bit off, but completed the 100k...ever so slowly). Later that year, I purchased a Domane---but it didn't make me any faster:lol::lol::lol:.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. stormsedge

My knees have gotten pretty wonky, but they tolerate bike riding pretty well. Except the occasional fall off and scrape routine:(.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Managed a bike shop for five years and raced until I was 28 when a serious crash ended it. Continued to ride heavily on the road and also toured fully loaded. Wrists and back started getting to me, and Ms. Nutz and I traded in our sleek machines for these two years ago. Put in our first ride of the season for 16 miles Sunday.

D240866A-CDAF-45FD-B916-2E7130C04798.jpeg
    36E2D951-A257-4796-B731-1772AFDE2337.jpeg

7. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I need to get back into biking. Since working from home, I can now get in a 6 mile ride around my neighborhood almost every morning, but I've pretty much quit my weekend biking.

My son and I used to go ride the local BMX track for fun a couple of times a month. The local track is an Olympic Supercross track. On weekends when we didn't go there, I'd ride mountain bikes with friends. Need to get motivated again.

imwjl likes this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I do. That's in theory plus hands on experience.

Some people can't help that as one of those women said. I was lucky. It always struck how from riding a bike with a lifelong pal when we were probably in middle school. I got skinny and lost terrible nick name some gave me. He didn't skinny but we both developed some courage and a sense of adventure.

Later in life I got involved in an organization that does sports programs for PSTD vets and other people with challenges. I was a co-founder of a kids on mountain bikes program. The one who had patience and love for those with some challenges. I've witnessed first hand the benefits whether or not people got skinny. I've had a mom in tears say I did the most important thing in her kid's life. All I did was build a pump track and make sure that boy was not teased and had fun.

In another instance a woman in her 20s who showed up in our bike posse shared that her whole life was struggles with mental illness and obesity. She said making the space, feeling welcome and accepted changed her life. It was really neat to see.

It was self-interest that got me into the trail building and advocacy thing but proximity to these successes changed it.

My sincere hope here is to help people find some happy.

Wally, Ron C, telemnemonics and 12 others like this.
  9. NC E30

NC E30 TDPRI Member

2 words.... Gary Busey

I get it, I spent my youth on a BMX bike jumping ramps with my friends. None of us ever wore a helmet unless we were racing in a sanctioned race. Now that I'm that old guy out there on my bike, I feel a bit more concerned about protecting my melon.

teletail and lmjmitchell like this.
  10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Went recumbent when neck, butt and wrists complained too much. Love it.

I have to reassess my tire choices here...sand everywhere. Gotta lose the slicks. The FWD helps.

upload_2021-4-6_8-44-15.png

11. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My theory is if everybody could become bike nuts, we would all be much better off.

Like a couple of others have posted, bikes are my other favorite activity in addition to guitars. When I was 5 years old my dad came home with a used Schwinn Spitfire for my brother and I to share. When my brother started going to elementary school that year, I had the bike all to myself all day long. I still remember the sense of freedom and adventure that simple machine gave me - I could go anywhere under my own power. I've loved riding a bike every since then. For decades I have dreamed about having a frame built for me so I could get that 'just right' fit. I have historically made each bike last me about 20 years so when I turned 60 I did the math and figured, if I was ever going to get a custom frame, I better get to it. There is a great bike shop in my neighborhood that specializes in building bikes to order. I stopped by on my way home from work every week or so to see the progress and talk to frame builder and the mechanics. It was a much more satisfying process than just picking something off the rack and going home with it the same day. The result fits like a glove and rides like a dream. Here are a couple of photos...

Attached Files:

12. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A48F8AF5-D01C-4C85-AF7D-347324DD8BB0.jpeg Favorite bike: 29er wheels, single speed, disc brakes.
    Just about every day.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

25D78EA6-E323-473D-BDEB-0ED0FC0C4581.jpeg I’m getting on mine pretty frequently now that the weather is getting better. I’m gonna try to do about twenty miles today. I need it. I got freakin FAT over the winter.

14. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

50 hits me this year. For the last decade I have been thinking of getting back into pedal biking. I used to ride a fair bit when I was in my teens and into early 20's. Then I got busy with life. I decided not to put off regular exercise any more, until later. Later has arrived.

I prefer road biking. I purchased a used bike about 2 weeks ago. I have ridden every second day since then. I discovered how truly unconditioned my body had become. I controlled my weight by diet, not obese, but certainly out of shape. Every ride I push a little harder, further. It's getting easier. Its taking 2 weeks to get my ass conditioned to the small hard seat. Yesterday's 1 hour ride felt like I had a tail wind, compared to two weeks ago.

My body aches most mornings. I push thru knowing I am building muscles back up. A couple Advil here and there helps. Tight back muscles, neck muscles, in a good way. The pain is relieving. My weak knee, from a couple of pervious injuries is getting stronger. I will push on. As mentioned every day, it gets a little easier. It feels good!

rocky mtn.jpeg

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I have a bike I rehabbed, and old fat tube Cannondale from back when those were new. I really like it--put a Brooks leather saddle on it. But it's surprisingly steep and hilly around here and I don't find it all that much fun. There are good bike lanes, but they are very crowded and there is always a lot of beef between "serious" riders and recreational riders. I'm a moderator on NextDoor and it's just constant complaints from each side about the behavior of the other. And the walkers--both camps of bikers complain about the walkers.

We tend to stay off the paths altogether as a result. Age does take its toll. I still do my daily rowing instead.

A neighbor got an electric assist bike and she rides it all the time--she's a decade younger than me, but she said it "bends the curve" of the hills, so you still have to work but not as hard. I don't really want another gadget to plug in or spend money on, but she makes it sound appealing.

telemnemonics, hdvades and imwjl like this.
  16. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Been riding for a long time. Cycling has been a good alternative to running. Really feeling the lack of core strength, since I haven't been to the gym in over a year because of Covid. Usually ride 2 times a week - 50 miles after work and 70 miles on the weekend.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and hdvades like this.
  17. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Two times in my life, quality (Specialized but there are others) bicycle helmets have saved me from, at a minimum, fractured skulls due to high speed impacts. Once on a mountain bike when I lost it going downhill, did a flip and the back of my head slammed into a rock. The second time, going about 20+mph around a downhill bend and hit fresh tar poured into the cracks in the road. Got thrown off and landed on my head upside down. That one landed me in the hospital with a major concussion. A good Samaritan took me (and my trashed road bike) to the emergency room. Indian Larry would probably still be alive if he was wearing a helmet. To each his own I guess.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Got back into mountain biking last summer. Took a while to get a bike with pandemic, but worth it. As it's warmed back up I've gone out several times this month. I'm very fortunate to have a plethora of great technical single tracks just a few minutes drive from me.

I try to live a decently healthy life, and to some degree have been successful. But mountain biking is really one of the few physical activities I both look forward to and pushes me to keep increasing the amount of workout I get. Plus, it literally keeps me on my toes, and engages all of my mind and body. I'm the type that gets easily bored and inattentive, so the terrain keeps me alert. Same reasons I also love to drive and ski.

I turn 50 this year, and am reminded every time I go out that I will have to adjust to activities with less chance of injury and impact as I age. As much as I love riding a bike, I've never been much of a long distance and/or road rider. Just never been my thing. I'm thinking that will need to change. Any tips on making that transition?

imwjl likes this.
  19. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I've been riding bikes and motorcycles my whole life. I've seen enough broken bones and cracked helmets to respect their need. If I'm just bumping down the street I might skip the helmet, but if I'm going to hit any trails or ride for a work out that lid is on.

teletail likes this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I would never feel comfortable riding on the road in the States. There are some decent paths around here I could make use of, but I'd need a bike and I don't see myself buying one.

Frankly I just don't want to fall (same reason I don't ride my longboard). Falling hurts and I've broken enough bones to know I don't want to do it again, especially at my age, and double especially right now.

Good on you folks who do it, good reminder for me to get out there and do literally anything today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.