Alien beeps and chirps from my MXR Micro Flanger!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 2, 2021.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I put my Micro Flanger back on my board and I love it but there’s an issue. When it’s on and I’m not playing through it I occasionally hear some weird chirping sounds. They’re not loud and everything else about it is working fine. Has the pedal developed a problem or could it possibly be a power supply issue? Could it be aliens? Do I need a tinfoil hat? I’m using a One Spot to run my board. Thanks for any input!

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you have it hooked up the right way 'round--signal input, signal output. You probably already do, and the pedal has developed a problem. I mention this because some effects will make weird alien sounds when a signal is sent through it backwards (try a Wah with high gain). Also, some effects don't play nice with other effects due to electronic interaction. Here's a classic example of that:

Make sure all plugs and jacks are clean, because a poor connection can cause symptoms like this. The best thing to clean a jack is a .25-cal brass bore brush and some Deoxit. Spray the Deoxit on the brush and immediately scrub the inside of the jack with it. Don't shoot Deoxit directly into the jack. Also lightly grip the plugs with a scotchbrite pad and rotate them two or three times to shine them up.

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I had a bad footswitch in a Wampler Paisley pedal that gave off some terrible chirps & screeches intermittently. They sent me two new switches but without the connector soldered on. Spent a couple hours tediously unsoldering the 9 pins from the old one and reinstalling. Had to do it over a few times to get the connector aligned with the pins on the pcb just right to where it wouldn't continue to chirp. Pretty cheesy methods, gotta say. My last-ever Wampler device, you betcha!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.