Alice's Restaurant

GrandpaBill

Tele-Meister
The song was more of a movie soundtrack if you never saw the movie you can't really appreciate or understand the meaning of the song.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Really don't care for that song at all.
Yep I remember back in the day, sitting around passing a doobie, someone would see it and say hey let's play this. Talk about a buzz kill. It's like a 20 minute drum solo, Free Bird and Hairway to Steven all mixed together and played in a slow annoying drone. Ya just wanna punch them in the mouth.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
I could be mistaken, but I think that we have a thread about Alice's Restaurant every year when Thanksgiving comes around.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
In the past we've considered growing up but just couldn't find the fun in it.

Peace. ☮️
“Growing up only leads to growing old and dying. And dying, to me, don’t sound like all that much fun.”
—John Mellencamp​

I like Alice’s Restaurant—hilarious song and a snapshot of a particular time and scene. I don’t listen to it more than once a year, kinda like I don’t look at my family albums every day.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just gave it our annual listen.
Arlo bought the church and there's a free community lunch there every Wednesday on Arlo's dime.
I show up most Wednesdays.
Buncha old hippies.
Did you know that the amount of time missing from the Nixon "Watergate Tape" is the same amount of time as Alice's Restaurant?
I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

idjster

VERY grateful member
Silver Supporter
This song is one that plays a special part in my younger years. I loved the film and the song along with it. Yes, I was a long-haired hippie, a folkie, I played acoustic guitar for decades before I bought my first electric guitar and I went on peace marches and protests. For all the difference it made.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
“Growing up only leads to growing old and dying. And dying, to me, don’t sound like all that much fun.”
—John Mellencamp​

I like Alice’s Restaurant—hilarious song and a snapshot of a particular time and scene. I don’t listen to it more than once a year, kinda like I don’t look at my family albums every day.
Hilarious.... really? I mean, you are laughing out loud when you hear it?

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Arlo's folk music royalty, long may he live. I'd go see him--wish I could--any time, and listen to any music he cares to play, new, old, or older.

"Stealin'" is a great song. Think I'll dust off my humble rendition of it and see if I can improve it any.

Alice is OK with me, too, smoke 'em if you got 'em. This land was made for you and me....

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Hilarious.... really? I mean, you are laughing out loud when you hear it?
Yes, I do.

The deputy questioning him and his reply, “I put that envelope at the bottom of that pile of garbage,” the blind judge with a seeing eye dog, the drill sergeant yelling at the Group W bench with military cadence and nobody understanding “a single word he said,” the session with the psychologist (“I wanna kill”, which reminds me of my 7-lb terrier), the Group W bench shunning him for being a convicted litterbug but coming back when he said he was also convicted of being a public nuisance, even the little subtle joke about the paragraph on the back of his military file that starts off with, “Kid—“…

Those all make me chuckle or even laugh out loud.

I don’t feel bad if others don’t find it funny…I love absurdist humor (which much of this was).

At least there wasn’t vile, vulgar profanity throughout, which some people pass off as humor today.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
hippys. smh

"hey maaan, remember when we, like, were all anti-establishment? that was like, grooooovy"

in all fairness, you all had the draft. I'll give you that
While the song and the movie are kind of funny, it was difficult for me to be sympathetic to the folks who could be sanctimonious after being caught dumping a truckload of garbage.

danielreid27

Tele-Afflicted
You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, exceptin' Alice,......

And if you were a real fan.
" I don't want a pickle , I just want ride my motorsickle"

I'm sure most of you don't have a clue what I'm referring to.

Find the movie Alice's Restaurant and watch it the song was more of a movie soundtrack than a song along type song.

The early Cheech and Chong type movie.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
I could be mistaken, but I think that we have a thread about Alice's Restaurant every year when Thanksgiving comes around.
We already have a thread about everything, even stuff that hasn’t happened yet. Lots of Wu Li going on 24/7 on the Bad Dog.

BTW Arlo has the most beautiful J-200 I’ve ever seen. Be honest: do you sometimes stop and stare or admire other’s guitars?

1669319554542.jpeg

Last edited:

Tone Quest

Tele-Afflicted
1972 high school speech class. Last assignment was to get up and talk about anything for 20 minutes. I recited Alice's Restaurant with a few word changes. The teacher got a kick out of it.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
I swear I used the search function to see if this thread had already been done. I had no idea some people really hated that song. I was just feeling a little nostalgic. I first heard it when I was working a Thanksgiving Day in the rail and truck scale tower at Great Lakes steel way back in about 1986. I remember all the guys I worked with were older. I remember laughing my butt off at "I wanna kill!. I wanna kill!". For me it brings back a good memory.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
While the song and the movie are kind of funny, it was difficult for me to be sympathetic to the folks who could be sanctimonious after being caught dumping a truckload of garbage.
Are you really serious? You don’t/can’t see the humor in Alice’s Restaurant? And is that all you took away?

Again, Woody would be proud