Alice Cooper - Elected

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Please don't pull this, not a political stance, it is a great song, by a great band. Cheers to Alice Cooper.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Dan R

Just in case you didn't know about Alice.

3. Dan R

For good measure. Alice is a worthy legend.

Skully, Tommy Biggs and jimash like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Memorable... I finished high school in '72.... School's Out was a big hit for us...

billion dollar babies was good as well...

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw the band in '71 at a place called Melody Fair near the Wurlitzer factory, a few miles from Niagara Falls.... basically a round tent with a stage that revolved. It held about 2000 people. They did the "Love it to death" album and probably a couple new ones.

Buxton and Bruce played SG's or perhaps they were LP SG guitars, I didn't know as much back then. I remember one was white and had 3 humbuckers. I think it was on the album cover too. Dennis Dunaway had about 12 different drums on the kit...biggest one I'd ever seen put together. We were probably about 20 feet away.

It was fantastic and the band was really tight. At the end Alice broke open a feather pillow and using a fire extinguisher, blew feathers all around the place... Music was just amazing back then. I was happy I got to experience it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Minimalist518 and Steve Ouimette like this.
  6. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Black Juju, Ballad of Dwight Fry, Halo of Flies...all good too!

7. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I saw the "Killer" tour which I think was around 1972? It was a great stage show, with the "Dead Babies" medley culminating in the "killer" going to the guillotine. I remember one, maybe two Les Pauls, maybe one LP, one SG? I remember colorful costumes and at least one pair of elevator boots. Anyway, very tight and professional all the way around.

The OP reminds me of the terrific guitar music of Alice Cooper. I always loved the hook in "I'm Eighteen"... I think this is live:

Tommy Biggs and Johnson johnson like this.
  8. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

The Billion Dollar Babies album is a rock tour de force. Great tunes, top-quality riffs and some good old dark n' dirty lyrics!

Steve Ouimette and Skully like this.
  9. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I saw him when he opened for Motley Crue a few years back. I figured I'd know a few songs....I knew every single song he played. I had no idea he had that many hits!!
    That and he completely blew Motley Crue off the stage...he put on an amazing performance. And Nita is an amazing guitarist...and gorgeous.

Skully likes this.
  10. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Lotta great clips here!
    I love the horn riff in elected.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Show music, very similar to Vaudville, frankly.
    I say that with repect and admiration.
    Draws from musicals, to.

dlew919 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Saw Alice at the Marina Palace in Seal Beach, SoCal. Think it was before the Killer Album. Great show. Then the Hollywood Bowel a few years later for Schools Out. Again great show. Lost track of him in my family years 80s and 90s, lo an behold here he comes again with a new generation of fans in Wayne's World. Got give him cred for a good run.

gtrjunior likes this.
  13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess Dennis Dunaway was on bass ,not the drums, as I wrote in my earlier post. Drums was Neal Smith, now a realtor on the East Coast. :)

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Aw hell I thought it was real and that maybe Joe Walsh was our new VP. I'm ready for some new entertainment coming out of DC. This other stuff is getting old fast.

15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

16. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

He certainly had a theatrical style with many songs. Also some excellent guitar players: Glen Buxton, Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter. Along with some classic rock tracks he surprisingly wrote quite a few ballads, Only women bleed, I Never Cry (both I covered in bands - along with I'm 18 and Schools Out) and You and me.

17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Boy's got some sort of radio show now, Sirius maybe? I heard it a couple-three times, liked it.

I can't believe that I made it through my youth without buying any Alice Cooper Albums. At least there are none among the records I found recently in my garage. I might have to rectify that.

18. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Billion dollar babies was the second single I bought (the first was with a local swedish act "Björn & Benny".
    I love elected. I think it captures the essens of alice cooper band. It was our culture they commented and not really about horror...

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One of the first tunes I loved by that band, with that awesomely sleazy original lineup. They were badass.

20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I love Alice Cooper. His smart songwriting often gets overshadowed by the cartoon-y image. Not that I'm knocking the image. The persona has aged very well, as has his voice. These are the advantages of starting out rough and ugly!

BTW, Cooper reunited the surviving members of the original band for a recent Nashville concert, and he's going to be taking them on a U.K. tour in November.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.