Ali vs Tyson,,, who wins and how?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I write this after watching Ali vs Norton I and II And watching Ali vs Frasier this afternoon.
    And honestly, I think Tyson could have fought both Ali and Norton one after the other and knocked both of them out within a few rounds! Frasier may have lasted a couple of rounds longer, but he too, would be counting the pretty lights;) I can already feel the beer cans flying my way,,,lol

2. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

I vote Tyson. Ali was a great boxer and an even better showman. Not to knock Ali in any way but in iron Mike's prime he was an absolute animal. To answer the how question, it would end the same way most of Mike's fights went with his opponent taking a nap.

3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Compare Ali's reach, height and weight to Tyson's.

Tyson was a slugger.

Fendereedo and Shuster like this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

If the age was picked, it would be a good fight. You saw Ali AFTER prison. Ali before prison and at his best and Tyson at his best... it would be a heck of a fight.

Chip, ftbtx, Gibson and 8 others like this.
  5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone who has an interest in Ali should see this. It's one of my favorite films. Politics, poverty, despotism, hype, myth, legend.

kLyon, mngsp, Gibson and 6 others like this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Tyson wouldn't have laid a glove on Ali, at his best...….

By the fifth, Tyson's eyes would be so bloody, he'd be punching the Ref....

7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

They dont call him iron mike for nothing. The guy could throw 4 punches in 1 second and that was with power.

TheGoodTexan, Piggy Stu and Shuster like this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

classic power puncher vs dance with me till ya drop..i enjoyed them both..miss good boxing...Tyson might eat your ear tho

10. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

Ali was masterful at figuring out his opponents and getting into their heads. He would wear Iron Mike out by round 5, eat some punishment in the process, and KO Tyson in round 9.

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's a hard theoretical to imagine. Their primes were about 20 years apart from each other. Put Tyson into Ali's era, with the nutrition science and the training of the time, the way the sport was run and played, and hell, even the over all society/culture of the time, and he wouldn't have been *as* good. Put Ali into Tyson's era, with all the trappings of that era, and he would have been even better. Same reason you can't pit Pancho Gonzales against John McEnroe, or any other similar matchup, in the theoretical.

Still, playing the theoretical game anyhow, I think it's a rivalry that would have gone back and forth. But in the end, Ali was the "smarter" boxer. He proved himself against "stronger" opponents many times, even well past his prime, after a career interruption that would have ended most boxing careers. I think that if you equalize for all factors, and put them against each other in a theoretically possible 100 matches (no way they could actually fight each other 100 times and still be in their theoretical primes, let alone even be alive), Ali would win a majority of them. Not a huge, landslide majority, but a solid majority nonetheless. And that is in no small part because he would "want" it more, and work harder to get it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  12. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

First off, this is a great topic. If they could fight when they both were at their best I would pick Tyson as the winner via brute force, despite how great Ali was.

Kreepy, Piggy Stu and Shuster like this.
  13. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Tyson would have more likely ended up like Foreman. Ali had physical and mental toughness in the ring. Ali was 6'3" with a 78 inch reach vs Tyson being 5'10" with a 71 inch reach. That's a huge advantage for Ali who was a brilliant boxer vs a slugger like Tyson. Here are some highlights from the two fights with the Tyson of his day Sonny Liston vs Ali when he was young. In the first fight, it was said that Liston had put some lye or something else caustic in his gloves during one of the rounds which caused Ali a great deal of eye pain for the much of the fight. Ali still won by a TKO iv the 7th. The next fight wasn't even close:

flathd, CV Jee Beez, Stubee and 2 others like this.
  14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

It would be worth watching. I'd give the edge to Ali for his reach and movement. Ali wins by decision or late-round KO, TKO, or DQ.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    ce24 and Shuster like this.
  15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I believe Ali would have been able to outthink Tyson in the ring. All the power in the world is worthless if you can't land a solid punch, and Ali likely wouldn't have given Tyson an opportunity to really connect.

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ali's Rope a Dope strategy would beat Tyson ...

harlycarly and Shuster like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Long time Ali fan here. BUT, I think Iron Mike would have won. I hated Tyson when he was fighting, kinda grew to like him for whatever weirdness he is since. But man, he was a stone cold animal in the ring. It may have been a decent fight in Ali's prime before he resorted to rope a dope etc, but Mike just waits for one punch and it's over. But if Ali was able to dance like in his early years and just lay those jabs in for points, it's possible he could have out pointed Tyson in a full length fight. But one mistake letting Mike inside and ......

18. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

That’s a match I’d pay damn good money to see.
    I see it going both ways. Ali’s finess & reach vs Tyson’s power & stamina.
    It would only take a Golden Bullet by either boxer put the other down for the count.
    I agree with Big Burly - Ali plays with Tyson keeping him at an arms length until Tyson begins to tire. If Tyson hasn’t made his move (with his remaining strength) by round 7 its Ali’s match.

getbent, notmyusualuserid and Shuster like this.
  19. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I hope he chokes on an ear .

Shuster likes this.
  20. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 TDPRI Member

Ha ha Tyson a slugger Ali finished the last slugger Liston, Tyson was the most dynamic fighter of a generation we won’t see the like of him or Ali for a long time if ever.

Tysons fight mechanics where destined for a short stint at the top, Ali was a master of his craft easy to say who would have won who cares watch the old fights they are a class act we all miss.
    The heavyweight scene is buzzing at the moment but just a buzz compared to the Ali and Tyson eras.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.