Alexis Korner recommendations - what am I missing

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, Sep 25, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I've heard of Alexis Korner for years -- particularly with his association with the Stones and other British Invasion blues-influenced musicians -- but only have a handful of recordings of his and I'm afraid I don't get his appeal.

I have the R&B From The Marquee album, which is a really good representation of early '60s British blues. However, I don't listen to it often. I also have an album by Rocket 88 (a boogie-woogie band put together by Charlie Watts and Ian Stewart of the Stones), which features Korner on vocals and guitar on at least one song but his hoarse singing and trebly guitar playing are also unlistenable to me. I looked up his cover of The Stones' "Get Off My Cloud" (featuring Keef on guitar) and couldn't get into it.

Anyone here familiar with Alexis Korner's discography? If so, are there any recordings I'm missing to get a sense of why he was so revered in the British blues scene? I guess I want to give his music a fair chance before deciding that it's not my thing.

Thanks!

2. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There's a few of these Brits that just don't seem to translate to Yanks....

Roy Harper is another despite him knocking it out of the park on Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar".

srblue5 likes this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I've always thought of him as someone who worked hard to promote the blues in the UK by bringing over US artists, giving starts in his bands to nearly everyone who was anyone in the UK blues world, and through his radio shows rather than as a particularly talented performer himself. Still a pretty good contribution worthy of the respect he was given I'd say.

But that's probably a huge oversimplification and a horrible injustice.

srblue5 and smartsoul72 like this.
  4. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Holic

I think he is more known for his love of the blues and being one of the 1st to push the genre in England than he is for his actual talent. Personally I don't think he has a great voice but I admire his style and passion. Try "Red Hot From Alex" & if you need a break from his vox "Sky High" which features the amazing Duffy Power singing on a few. Now, Duffy I can whole-heartily recommend

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    srblue5 and WingedWords like this.
  5. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Bootleg Him
    The inside leaf of the 2 record cover has an historic rundown of Alexis Korner. (Especially those associated with Blues Inc.)
    DSCF4144.JPG

DSCF4145.JPG

DSCF4147.JPG

DSCF4146.JPG

DSCF4143.JPG

6. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

No prizes for guessing the singer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.