Alexander Howard Dumble RIP ?

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
He definitely left his mark on the guitar playing world.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

He was one of the first people to understand that the amplifier is half of the electric guitar as an instrument. Sculpting the sound and response of the amplifier to the use of an individual and his guitar if done well could create a whole that is more powerful than it's parts.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A controversial character for sure. And not just a builder, but a designer of amps that many consider the absolute pinnacle of the art form.

Love it or hate it, it works. And well. There will always be those who don’t get it, and those who swear no amplifier should command those kinds of prices. But for the folks who swear nothing else will do, nothing ever will. And those folks sure sound groovy while they’re playing them. RIP, Mr. Dumble.

Methinks 2022 will be the year we see the first million dollar amp sales.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's funny, we sometimes say this or that artist or show or song made us want to play guitar.
There were lots of music specifics that made me want to make sounds with a guitar, but the Lindley Dumble tone really set the hook for what a guitar could sound like, really being a voice.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
It's funny, we sometimes say this or that artist or show or song made us want to play guitar.
There were lots of music specifics that made me want to make sounds with a guitar, but the Lindley Dumble tone really set the hook for what a guitar could sound like, really being a voice.

YES! DAVID LINDLEY . Sure had a lot to say on that record that was worth listening too.
tone for days and days .

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty damn sure this is Dumble tone, not a great recording but the searing tone of the SSS is just so good.
Of course David is such a master player he is a big part of the sound but Dumble amps were quietly bought and used by master guitar players for decades before most of us ever heard of the amp builder.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
WGAS. Did he ever make a anything for a working class musician? Or just rich ones. There’s a good saying how the “music industry” caters to the rich players and takes advantage of shills like us middle class or lower who have to actually pay.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
WGAS. Did he ever make a anything for a working class musician? Or just rich ones. There’s a good saying how the “music industry” caters to the rich players and takes advantage of shills like us middle class or lower who have to actually pay.

Everybody but you apparently. That's who.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I never really looked into his amps, because I had always heard of the crazy high prices. After reading some of these replies, I might have to do a little research