Alessandro GA-SC64 Advice

BluesOwl

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I like the BF 2x12 and 2x10 cab.s with some kind of open back modification

full

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Agree. By warm I mean a tad less sharpness at the high end than the 12F150. I also have a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog, which is Vox voiced. I like the SC64 a lot better for my Bassman than the Blue Dog.
This is good information as I also have a Bassman head that would see some duty with this cab.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Agree. By warm I mean a tad less sharpness at the high end than the 12F150. I also have a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog, which is Vox voiced. I like the SC64 a lot better for my Bassman than the Blue Dog.
Yeah, those Blue Dogs are pretty bright aren't they? Been a long time since I had one, but it amazed me the difference between the Silver Bell Alnico (warmish) and the Blue Dog Alnico (Bright) A combo of the two was often a popular thing.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Any era T6s do not sound good with anything more than mild overdrive. They fuzz out badly. They can sound nice clean or with amp breakup but do not handle anything stronger than Tubescreamer drive. They sound sweet for moderate tones, or the 74s I had did in a transition Pro Reverb.

They are about 95Db spl - I'd only match one with a similar era speaker. They are not big power handlers.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Any era T6s do not sound good with anything more than mild overdrive. They fuzz out badly. They can sound nice clean or with amp breakup but do not handle anything stronger than Tubescreamer drive. They sound sweet for moderate tones, or the 74s I had did in a transition Pro Reverb.

They are about 95Db spl - I'd only match one with a similar era speaker. They are not big power handlers.
Dacious, the pre-1966 Oxford 12” speakers are different animals compared to the 1966 and later 12s. Fender spec’d a wider voice coil gap for the 1966 and later 12s which resulted in lower efficiency.
A healthy pair of low efficiency 12T6s can handle a Twin Reverb at any volume setting and will do so without blowing the windows out. I had a pro buy just such a SFTR from me after he had tried 22 TRs in three states in his search for a TR. It was a great amp.
I do agree that if one pairs one of these post-1965 Oxford 22s with a speaker with 98db or higher efficiency one will not hear the Oxford.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I am torn here and need a nudge.

I have a Fender 2x12 Bandmaster cabinet in need of speakers. I presently have an Avatar 2x12 with Vintage 30's and a Pine 1x12 with a vintage Altec 417-8C....both of which I do like, but always wonders if there is a better option?

I have a spare Altec salvaged from another cabinet and a re-coned Oxford 12T6 sitting in a box to play around with which gives me options.

1. I could install the 2 Altecs into the Fender Cab and put the Oxford in the 1x12 to use with a Brownface Princeton clone head.
2. Locate a 2nd Oxford and load the new cabinet with those?
3. Order up a pair of new speakers for the cabinet

Option 3 would be either the Eminence Governor or else the Alessandro GA-SC64...both sound really good in video clips and around the same price. I am mainly a clean player with just a little dirt, but most sound clips are always a very driven tone so it is hard to judge. I have read that the SC64 sounds a LOT like the old Oxford 12T6 so maybe I could pair one with the Oxford that I already have?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
While the amp that I'm using my GA10-SC64 in is totally different that what you've got (I have a Fender Custom 64' Hand Wired), I simply love the tone from it. I bought the amp new and kept it stock for about a year, after which I realized that the stock Jensen was just simply too shrill with poor bottom end. I posted a question here, and @Wally chimed in recommending I look no further than the GA10-SC64.

I emailed George and he was good enough to reply and give me the back story on the design and creation of the speaker. It's built to spec to what would have been found in a PR in 64' (I can only assume he had the schematics). The project started with Jensen but he said their either couldn't or wouldn't get it right, so he paired up with Eminence. It's a perfect match for that amp. I'm not sure how many watts your amp is, the PR is 12.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Dacious, the pre-1966 Oxford 12” speakers are different animals compared to the 1966 and later 12s. Fender spec’d a wider voice coil gap for the 1966 and later 12s which resulted in lower efficiency.
A healthy pair of low efficiency 12T6s can handle a Twin Reverb at any volume setting and will do so without blowing the windows out. I had a pro buy just such a SFTR from me after he had tried 22 TRs in three states in his search for a TR. It was a great amp.
I do agree that if one pairs one of these post-1965 Oxford 22s with a speaker with 98db or higher efficiency one will not hear the Oxford.
You're right - I was thinking of the 12L6s I had in the wardrobe find 74 Pro Reverb I had recently.

The Oxfords which I presume were 12T6s in my 70 watt Pro from 20-25 years back were not terrible but to my memory I wouldn't have sought them out however. Very bright but that may have been the amp