Alesadndro PRRI Rewire Opinions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

Since buying my Swart AST the PRRI is gathering dust. It just sounds a bit thin compared...duh! Two different amps!

I've considered selling it and going to a vintage Princeton but not a good local source for those and I've heard a couple good things about Alessandro rewires. There's been a PRRI languishing on CL for over 3 months at $700 obo so doubtful I'd get more than $600 for it if that....

Looks like maybe $6-700 for the complete Alessandro package so maybe a bit more than if I sold my PRRI and invested in a clean vintage... maybe less... and then who knows what sort of issues that could have...

BUT if tone and reliability increased it be kinda cool to have!

Opinions?

Thanks,

TEX

2. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

With the same cabinet, speaker, transformers, tubes, and the nominal values of all the passive components staying exactly the same, what could possibly change about the tone?

Once the amp has been shipped away for a couple weeks and you finally get it back, it is almost impossible to A/B with its previous incarnation, so how does anyone who buys this service know it did anything for them?

3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Yeah!
    That’s kinda like, How do we know they improved the flavor of dog food?

sds1 likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It's a great idea, but I second that the tone may not change much. If you want a more robust PRRI put a bigger Deluxe OT and fat stack PT in it.

5. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

A speaker change will likely change the tone more than the re-wire, assuming no change in component values.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

for the price, you may as well buy a vintage one on ebay and get it properly serviced. Then you'll have something that'll appreciate in value.

brbadg, D'tar and King Fan like this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Sure!

Great points but this holds true for MANY changes. You can't AB pups or speakers or tubes rolling... You can SAY you can detect a difference but you've changed the basic instrument....

Rewire also makes it serviceable down the road and since the value is diminished at the present time makes it more of a keeper amp. I suppose IF it ever did fail I could take this option to though.....

I considered asking about transformer upgrades as well....

Here's the website for what's included and not:

http://alessandro-products.com/rewiring-services/

8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

9. corliss1

Yeah, but they aren't selling for that. PR sells for 800-1200, depending on condition. Blackface prices go crazy up from there.

10. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

I just realized my use of the phrase 'what could possibly change' could be read like I'm so sure nothing will change. I'm headed to work where all I do is analytical what are the mechanisms of change and how do we measure hem type stuff. I certainly don't mean to be condescending or dismissive of anybody's amps.

But it does seem like a gamble that a chance difference within the tolerances of a bass or mid cap or a drifted resistor or microchange in capacitance from different lead dress is going to make the PRRI into something better than it already is

bhenry83 likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yes that too. Especially if you go to a robust 12" like the GA SC64 etc. or in 10" a Weber 10F150T 50 watt.

12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Nope... BF Princeton Reverbs are selling for over $2000 on Ebay....

13. corliss1

Right, blackface. I'm saying get a silverface and be done with it.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With transformer upgrades, be mindful of the tone you want. A bigger PT and OT may be better if you want a tighter low end and cleaner, more defined tone, but every change in this regard does lead you away from classic Princeton tone. If that's what you want, then it's good.

King Fan likes this.
  15. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Well again those are at least $1000. So I sell my PRRI and get maybe $500, add another $500 and then maybe another $200 to have serviced and I still have some dubious 40 year old parts.....$100 for a speaker....

So either way I'd be $700 out of pocket. With rewire it would be essentially 100% serviced and quite new like.

Tone wise? Sure a gamble. But if he's using original wiring schematic and value caps etc it should lean towards an off the shelf BF from 1965....

My thinking is instead of taking a loss on the PRRI just make it more robust and serviceable down the road.

But I guess my basic question is Alessadro's workmanship of the quality one would expect for such prices? I'll have to decide on the above on my own.

Thanks,

TEX

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  16. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

I‘ve just bought a 1980 Princeton Reverb, the last SF series with a BF Frontplate. Same circuit. Swapped the old speaker for an Allesandro SC64.

3BE744FC-54DB-41DA-A70F-193C590C31A3.jpeg
    49BD5DF4-8972-43C4-A41A-96D965EDC411.jpeg

What can I say? It‘s the best sounding amp I‘ve ever owned and I‘ve played a lot from Bassman to Swarts. Those vintage Princetons got a magical tone, dunno why. Better than a clone and a class above the reissues, I didn‘t believe it either, so I highly recommend a vintage Princeton!

lowatter, FrontPU, Tonetele and 3 others like this.
  17. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Nice!

What'd it set you back?

TEX

18. stefanhotrod

What do you mean?

19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

What did it cost?

if you don't mind me asking....

TEX

20. stefanhotrod

1 grand (talking euros :cry:). But that’s a real attractive price here. Plus 400€ for service, new electrolyt caps, tubes, speaker.

Texicaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.