Aldi

koen

Friend of Leo's
Used to go there when I was in college. They had the cheapest beer and canned fried rice. Haven't been back in decades.

HaWE

Tele-Meister
Used to go there when I was in college. They had the cheapest beer and canned fried rice. Haven't been back in decades.
Yes, the same happened to me.... cheap beer and wine when we were young going to school, after that I haven`t been to Aldi for a long long time although there now is an Aldi even in our small village.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
There are two Aldis in my town. One is out by the highway - I never liked that store. They put a new one in on the north side, and it is fairly nice. We go there often.

My daughter likes it because if she wants pasta sauce, there are two choices. She gets overburdened with choice at other stores.

Their food is typically good, and low priced. You get your quarter back when you return the cart - I think that is a genius way of getting shoppers to return carts.

We typically bring our own reusable bags when we grocery shop, so the no bags thing is no big deal to us.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Tried it but could never get everything in one store. By the time I’d gone somewhere else to top up it’d saved very little money and added a lot of time to the trip. Decent enough stores though. The checkout staff are intimidatingly fast, stuff piles up far quicker than I can deal with it.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Queuing to pay in Aldi a while ago there was a woman well dressed in designer gear, dripping with jewelery. Her mobile rang and her side of the conversation went: ‘oh daaaaaahling, how are you? Oh, I’d simply love to, I’ll call around later, I’m shopping in Waitrose at the moment’. Kind of reveres reverse snobbery!?

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Aldi, Lidl, Netto....all much the same as good value for money, smallish supermarkets here in Germany. Plenty to choose from, even living semi rural like I do. Each has certain products justifying a visit, so we tend to visit the one that has the thing we need. Lots of Turkish Supermarkets everywhere, a few East Asian stores, and Mix-Max - an East-block/Russian supermarket with a whole wall of different vodka. I wish we had a Mexican store here.