Aldi

Les H

Tele-Holic
I've been shopping at Aldi for 30 plus years. I don't do all my shopping there but they have come a long way since then. I've never had one within an hour of where I live and when we do an Aldi run it's always a major haul.

In the old days there were some items not fit for human consumption, mainly their bread and cereals. It was a good place to stock up on canned goods though. Based on my early memories there are some things I still won't buy there like bread and cereals even though they are probably fine now.

I still pick up the empty boxes around the store to put my groceries in when I check out.

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
I like Aldi too. Nice food, and their general merchandise section is sometimes useful, kind of like " I never knew I needed one of those"

old soul

Tele-Holic
They are relative newcomers to my part of Florida. I do wish they would build one or 2 in an area that's not a 30 minute drive to go 5 miles. I absolutely love the seasoned bbq and carnitas pork shoulders. I absolutely love them. Take it out of the package, throw it in a crock pot in the morning and feast when you walk in the door after work. No extra seasoning required.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I have been in the local Aldi store twice. It seemed to be dirty, and the produced didn't look great. I'm not going back.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Best Aldi stuff: Cheeses, cookies, milk, eggs, yogurt, packaged fresh fish, uncured hot dogs, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, nuts, chocolate, guacamole and dips, salads, bacon, surprisingly some of the ground coffees. Seasonal German specialties.

OK Aldi stuff: loaf bread, meats (usually loaded up with 'solution')+, bratwurst, sliced cheese

Bad Aldi stuff: sweet baked goods, cottage cheese, cream cheese - too gummy. must buy Philadelphia Brand, jelly/jam.

To be honest we load up on most things at Aldi and get particular foods at a regular supermaket. It's hard to spend a lot of money at the Aldi even when you fill the cart.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
ALDI just opened 1/2 mile from us. Not going back.

No bags except their $14 USD sack? I’ll walk in there with plastic bags from Publix. Let them try to throw me out.
I know you are joking, but they will not care what the bags say on them or if you even bring bags. Many people grab empty boxes as they are going through the store and use those. I was initially put off by the place, but after doing some side-by-side of their food I was fairly happy with it and felt dumb spending double for cookies or cheeses at the regular place.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
ALDI just opened 1/2 mile from us. Not going back.

No bags except their $14 USD sack? I’ll walk in there with plastic bags from Publix. Let them try to throw me out.
How you gonna do that when you're not going back?
;)

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I didn't even know about Aldi. I just Googled and see that there's a few of them in the area. However they're not very close to me, and I have a Trader Joe's within close walking distance, so... 😁

Plus Trader Joe's doesn't charge you a quarter to use their carts, and has plenty of checkers to get you out fast.
Aldi doesn't charge you a quarter either - you get your quarter back when you return the cart.

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
aldis-has-these-bbq-grills-for-25-cents-each-8658926.png

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The first Aldi I went to was in Ohio about 14 years ago. It was small, not well lit, and had unimpressive canned goods. But then they upped their game. The produce, while limited, was very good for the price. Eggs were really cheap and pork ribs (I know, they contain “solution”) were great for smoking in the kamado. Then they built a new store and it was a greatly improved experience to shop there. Around the time we moved back to Alabama, they were opening stores here, and we probably shop there about 1/2 of the time. It’s not the best place for all of our needs but it checks a lot of boxes. And I can get imported German marzipan-filled stollen and pfefferneusse at Christmas.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never shopped an Aldi’s, but I’ve serviced their refrigeration equipment before.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
How you gonna do that when you're not going back?
;)
I’m confrontational. I’d do that just to irk them. 😁

Actually, my daughter shops at the one near her home a lot. She suggested we try it.

After we did, I immediately called her and asked if the way we saw things “working” was the way the ALDI business model is everywhere. She said it was. I told her that they don’t deserve our business, and that Trader Joe’s suits us better.

Actually, Publix suits me better than any other grocery chain in our area. They are helpful and pleasant. Prices are high, but there are BOGO items that we stock up on. Cereal gets bought at Target along with some other overpriced items Publix carries.

Winn-Dixie and Sedano’s remind me of the dirty A&P, Bohack, Waldbaums, and Food Fair stores of my childhood. As soon as PathMark opened in New Hyde Park, NY, I’d drive the extra 15 miles round-trip to shop there rather than shop at the other chains. The aisles were wide and well-lit, and it was significantly cleaner than other grocery stores nearby.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Console yourself with the fact that Aldi pay their staff rather more than other American supermarkets do, and have German, rather than American employment ethics.
I appreciate that. Now I guess that their American employees need to pay them back with improved work ethics.