Aldi

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I'm a now and again user. Their prices are good but the shelf life of their fruit and veg isn't great and being 25 miles from the nearest supermarket, that's not helpful.
One of my favourite farm shops shut a couple of years ago and the owner told me that the arrival of Aldi and its German counterpart Lidl sounded the death knell. The farm shop just couldn't compete anymore.
Rumour has it that Aldi and Lidl were run by two brothers who fell out but I've recently found out that to be untrue.
I think the Aldi/Lidl story was an apocryphal story based on the true story of Adi and Rudi Dassler, which is a fascinating story.
Dassler Brothers Feud.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi.

Well, it is a subsidiary of Aldi Nord (north). The Aldi stores of which we are speaking are Aldi Sud (south). Aldi Nord and Sud started as one company but an internal family squabble lead to a split.
A third company brand from the same family is Lidl. We have one locally and it is superior to Aldi and far superior to Traitor Joes. The meat in all three I found less palatable than my local butcher, and the beer and wine are also meh. But the bakery is exceptional and all the staples and vegetables are worthy. The best deal on high quality balsamic vinegar available. I'm a big fan of this variation of the family stores.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
I shop there now too. Way cheaper. But I don't trust their meat. They got caught selling horse meat years ago.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Which? is an independent British consumer organisation. This month it surveyed...supermarkets. Aldi came top with 73%

They must be doing something right.

View attachment 944183
How does that add up to 73%? If stars are a percentage of five, the score is (40, 60, 60, 60, 40, 60, 60, 100)/8 = 60%

Anyway, we had two Aldis back east, I didn't get it. Felt like a Big Lots/Five Below with a poor selection of food. Neither store was very clean or organized, maybe they've turned it around or those two were just not great.
I thought Ikea sold cheap sawdust furniture.
They do, they also sell stuff that lasts. The IKEA desk* I'm at right now was purchased in 2003-2004 along with several other pieces of furniture in my house, all of which survived two moves, one across country. Regular couch, sleeper couch, at least seven bookshelves, two coffee tables, some other bits and bobs I'm sure. Along with jewelry and all-inclusive travel, "premium" furniture is one of the biggest cons on earth.

*So good it has something of a following.

Last edited:

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Aldis is OK. The ones around here are not fast to get out of, there are Always long waits with lines 10+ deep. Prices are good, several things aren't carried for long, but it's like a treasure hunt. Some items are sort of sketchy, but I avoid and carry on.

I've heard that they suck to work at in comparison to Kroger and Walmart. Pay was ahead of the curve circa 2018, but WM upped stuff in '19 and Kroger is (allegedly) nicer to work for even if they pay less than both (I only worked at a Kroger when I was 17/18, and pay was slightly less than Walmart or target at the time b4 uaw dues, but that was forever ago...)

Aldi really shines with randomly finding things you didn't know you needed, like dried peppers or ingredients, or a cereal that looks worth rolling the dice on. It's sort of like a food version of Ollie's (or old Oddlots). It's worth just taking a trip through even if it's not your grocery store of choice. You never know what you migh "need". ;)

twangking

Friend of Leo's
They're basically the grocery store around here if you're low on funds. Which means 80 percent of people go there but I haven't been in a while because I'm not waiting in line 45 minutes to save 20 bucks max. Not to mention they don't have half the stuff I want and I have to drive 30 minutes to go there.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm glad it's working well for you. It's admittedly been YEARS since I've set foot in an Aldi, but that's because I was so completely underwhelmed and unimpressed.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I'm glad it's working well for you. It's admittedly been YEARS since I've set foot in an Aldi, but that's because I was so completely underwhelmed and unimpressed.

Maybe give it another whirl. There are 2 stores near me - one is like a third-world experience and the other is like a low-rent Trader Joe’s. They seem to improve or decline over time as well.