Alder vs Swamp Ash vs Mahogany - Guitar Body Wood Tone Test

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

I have it on good authority that the recording engineer flipped the guitar cable on the alder body. He did this because as a sound engineer he know body wood on electrics doesn't make a difference and he knows Warmoth still needs to sell guitars. Something had to be done.

2. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No, no and no....

I like Paulownia bodies, I can make a 5.x pound Tele or Strat that doesn't hurt my back or neck, and sounds just like every other wood including Masonite, OSB, Cement board, or Swamp Ash.

awasson and notmyusualuserid like this.
  3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't care for the prefix "tone" before the word "wood" when discussing electric guitars. "Wood" is all that's needed. The term tone wood makes it sound like each species has a distinct tone. No matter how experienced a player I'd challenge anyone to be able to identify the wood species of an electric guitar they were playing while blindfolded.

soulgeezer and notmyusualuserid like this.
  4. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Can't resist adding a final(ish) statement to this.

There is a similar ongoing argument in the high end stereo hobby, having to do with whether various electronic components have an effect on the final sound.

The objectivists (motto = electrons is electrons) say that things like wire configuration, different capacitor and resistor composition, tubes vs solid state cannot make a difference in the sound - because "physics".

The subjectivists (I can hear the difference types) can also be scientific, but less rigid, and are willing to accept that unmeasurable factors can make a difference in sound perception. There is a famous quote about how the wrong things are being measured when certain measurements show no difference.

In regard to wood and musical instruments in general, my opinion is partially based on observations like these:

1. The violin family, after hundreds of years, is still made of spruce (top), maple back, sides bridge and neck, and ebony fingerboard. Of course, tradition plays a role but do you really think that EVERY type of wood hasnt been tried at some time or another in a violin - and yet the traditional formula rules. Do you think its possible that people hear the difference? (OK, electric guitars are amplified but do you hear no difference between a Les Paul and a 335?)

2. Every guitarist I know uses a solid state amp. OH WAIT - I mean NO guitarist I know uses a solid state amp. Why is that?

5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I read an article many moons ago, Guitar Player magazine me thinks, where budding guitar superstar was handed journeyman guitar superstar's axe & couldn't get the same sound due to technique. I believe that technique has way more to do with "my sound" than tone wood, and less than pickup/amp choice.

Bill likes this.
  6. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I have never heard a difference in 'tone woods'. Unless, that is, it is in relation to acoustic guitars where the differences are tangible and reasonably consistent. Logic follows that there must be some effect in relation to solid body guitars, but there are so many variables and the differences may be tiny.
    For me the body (and neck) is all about resonance, feel and looks . Still I am happy sat on this fence.:rolleyes:

Bill likes this.
  7. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

Unobtanium works both ways, good players want to make you think only good players can achieve a great tone while the manufacturers want to make you believe that they are the ones doing that extra special to their gear for it to sound great. It must be a mix of both.

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I don't know how it happens, but I know for sure that the same pickup can sound significantly different when moved from body to body - somehow, a pickup DOES pick up tonal qualities that are imparted by the body! And I'm pretty sure that the wood species and/or density do play some part in this.

Perhaps the strings vibrate differently, depending on the mass and density of the body material and neck which the strings are connected to?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.