Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Bodean

Bodean Tele-Meister

I have quit all sorts of habits. Some were tougher than others. Some days I feel I am the most boring person on Earth. I quit all habits on my own, I sought help for some, but found that I was the key. I needed to overcome them on my own. Mentally you are in charge of you.
    I am no expert by know means. I only know my past struggles, and how I coped with them. The experts say once an addict always an addict. I don't believe that myself. Everyone has the ability to be an addict. YOU choose yes or no.
    I have done hard drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol, pills, smoking, and even caffeine, oh and sugar. Yes it's an addiction also. The hardest to quit for me was smokes. But by gosh I did it.
    I could go on and tell other stories about me, but it doesn't matter.
    Your struggle is your own. Work on your mental state, be positive, and good luck in your battle. Peace and God be with you.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

It's a tough road but one worth walking in the end. Hoping you find your way through the other side of this. I had two uncles drink themselves to death and I tried very hard to follow in their footsteps. It's possible to change.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Give it time. You'll get there. Losing your job, getting arrested, losing your loved ones I mean.

If you're going through withdrawal when you back off you're certainly drinking enough.

Way I figure it everyone can use some or all of The Twelve Steps.

"Admitted we can't stay away from Guitarcenter even though we have too many guitars and not enough money."

Who doesn't benefit from taking a fearless and searching moral inventory?

Who won't benefit from continuing to take daily inventory and promptly admitting it when we're wrong?

I stopped at a kiosk for a local rehab set up at this summer's Roots on the River festival. I look for answers where ever I might find them. Problem is educators told me over and over I was a smart kid when I was a kid. Turns out my mental powers are no more than average at best. But, oh my smart ass.

My smart ass makes it difficult to treat everyone with respect. Hell, I have a hard time treating anyone with respect. Turns out I was very poorly raised.

"Mama Tried."

Point is the lady at the rehab kiosk told me the point is to treat alcoholics and addicts with respect.

Get you to a meeting.

You're not one of those people? Damn right you're not! They go to meetings.

If you want a kinder gentler approach TDPRI member Zook spent most of his adult life as a drug and alcohol (addiction) counselor, human services professional, health care provider and rehab manager. He's retired and has been for quite a few years now. Still, he knows what he knows. He practically wrote the book on uniform care in rehabs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    drlucky, JuneauMike and studio1087 like this.
  4. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Best wishes to you.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Two different stories, you can decide which one you want to emulate.

Witnessed alcoholism first hand from my wife's brothers. Both of them would steal her stuff out of her room when she was a kid to sell for drugs and alcohol. Both have been through more rehabs than you can count on both hands and I wish I could say that both of them are clean....but it only helps for a couple of months and then they are back to drinking and doing drugs again. One of the brothers was even hit by a car on my wife's 18th birthday because he was drunk and walked into traffic on a 45mph road. Broke both of his legs and he is on disability now (although he can walk and even jog just fine). Disability caused by drinking didn't even slow him down. They are both around 30 years old and have been hooked since they were both around 16.

My grandfather drank a lot throughout my mom's childhood and even while I was a kid. He didn't make great decisions and my mom has hinted that he was abusive, but has never outright said it. He was pulled over for a DUI when I was young and he had me in the car. Didn't cause him to quit though.
    This all lasted until around 3 years ago, when he finally quit. He is 74 now, so he had an entire lifetime of drinking. Yet after he decided to quit, with no outside support at all, he hasn't had a drink since.

I have never been addicted to alcohol, I've always been able to quit before I felt there was a problem, but I have seen several examples of alcoholism. In my opinion, it takes someone with the will and determination to kick it. Both my brother-in-laws have never been able to hold down a job, keep a girlfriend, or function in society at all. My grandfather was the best machinist at the company he worked for and held down a solid job until he was able to retire.

There are plenty of excuses out there on why someone can't stay sober, and trust me I have heard them all. That's just what they are.....excuses.

There are plenty of examples of people who have quit before and stayed sober. Be one of those people.

drlucky and Phrygian77 like this.
  6. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

After i broke with girlfriend, it was long realtionship i have started to drink heavily from 2014 to 2017 i was in really bad shape. Had unstable hearbeat during 2016, i decided to reduce alcochol consumption. At the moment a bottle of wine once in a week , 2 weeks, 3 weeks or month. Not smoking about half of a year

Do sports too, it helps, running, light weight, footbal or other

backporchmusic likes this.
  7. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

been there, done worse, got through it, so can you!

8. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Being desperate and determined was the foundation I used to begin my recovery. You appear to be there. Best of luck to you in finding your path to sobriety.

Harry Styron likes this.
  9. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Your new life is waiting for you. What are you waiting for? 36 years sober. It starts with today. If I could do it, so can you.

stinkey, Misty Mountain and Deeve like this.
  10. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Don't stress about the slip ups. They'll happen.
    I've got a lot of friends who have gotten sober/clean/whatever and that's got to be the biggest takeaway.

Having only second hand experience, all I can do is wish you luck.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

This rings true with me. For the past couple of years, I have gotten back into cycling. It was something I thought was for young in shape people and not me, for years. I was unhealthy due to years of not taking care of myself. Well, now that I have eliminated a time consuming unhealthy habit, I have both the time, and ability to do it, and it has been HUGE for my state of mind. It has taught me that I can do things I thought were impossible for me.
    So, there will be time on your hands that you would normally be drinking, at a bar, what have you. I would recommend thinking about something positive to take it's place. Both for purely practical reasons (you'll be bored if you don't) and also to help mentally, which doing something positive and enjoyable will do as well. Sports are great for this if there is one you like and have the opportunity. But anything to get yourself active and meeting new people who aren't up to the same bad habits as you have been. I've met other people who turned from bad habits and now put that energy into cycling. We have discussed how and why it seems to be somewhat common.
    The practical point of all of this is: when you get a craving to drink, be ready with something positive to take it's place and do that instead. This was a simple practical tip I got from a great counselor. What to do when you get a craving: delay and distract. eg. No, I am not going to drink right now (just deal with right now at first), I am going for a bike ride(insert your thing here) instead

imwjl and Toast like this.
  12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Whether you feel like you fit in or not get to AA; having accountability with others
    trying to achieve the same goal is a great help.

I've got friends who are now clean and sober, and glad for it!
    Other friends not so; and sadly some are no longer with us.

Make the effort, you can beat it!!

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

stevemc likes this.
  14. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've seen a lot of people sober up. I've never seen one that's done it on their own. You're on the right track, keep it up.

Milspec likes this.
  15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately, I can say I've been there. Anyone dealing with this horrible disease has my sympathy and support. I've managed to stay away from alcohol for 12 years. I'm not counting days or years anymore. I can't offer much in the way of advice and I can't advise anyone to deal with the problem the way I did. I can offer encouragement and a couple of suggestions. Wherever you get your acute treatment, your problem doesn't end when that phase of therapy stops. The biggest mistake is believing you're cured. Find a way to stay in treatment. I have no strong preference for AA, a private therapist, or an outpatient clinic, but stay in treatment. Stay until you can stand on your own. And even at that point, don't mistakenly believe you're cured. You're in remission. The disease will come back the moment you take a drink. You can't beat it. You can only stay in remission. How long depends on you.

Frodebro likes this.
  16. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Best wishes to anyone who has a problem with any addiction.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the wake of a friend who drank himself to death over the last three years.

A good time Charlie, who never knew when to stop.

Today would have been his 43rd birthday.

And this is on the heels of another friend who died of lung cancer in July.

Not looking for sympathy, I just wish the world would realize that cigarettes, booze and drugs are not your friends.

They come to kill you, and they do.

Everyone, be well.

Mike

drlucky, Milspec, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  17. muchxs

Friend of mine a clerk at the local Post Office told me she stopped drinking a while ago.

I talked to her more recently, ran the ol' "So you're a friend of Doctor Bob?" by her. I was met with a blank look. I figured I'd put it a bit more bluntly. Don't know why I didn't try that to begin with. "I thought you quit drinking.", I said.

She replied, "Oh, no. You misunderstood. I meant I stopped drinking at work."

Oh, my wise ass.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

stevemc and Deeve like this.
  18. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

Put a “yet” after each item in your list. I was there... then most of those things happened. I took a suggestion (among many): look for the similarities, not the differences. I’m going on 6 years now. There is a way out; I found mine in AA along with millions of others.

Deeve likes this.
  19. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Since this is a guitar forum, I thought I would share this:

I have to say, I'm no John Mayer fan by any stretch, but the man won my respect for putting this out there. OP: hang in there and keep trying, brother. You can do it. Little steps add up in a hurry.

Milspec, stevemc, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  20. muchxs

"Alcoholism and addiction in story and song."

Listen to Country radio, our twang bangin' brethren. According to Nashville, our lives will be improved most of the time by drinking more.

Seems to me two outta three songs are about gettin' inebriated.

One outta three is about pickup trucks.

I guess singing at parties about going to parties is more fun than admitting we go to too many parties.

drlucky and hellopike like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.