1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Sep 11, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I get that, and overreacted due to something like PTSD from the general mix of stated recovery experiences and misinformed opinions, along with funerals.

I feel it's important to at least try to counter some of the urban legends about 12 step programs.
    One myth being that 12 step programs = AA.

First, AA varies widely, and few individuals can summarize all of AA in one paragraph.
    Second, the more experienced you are in a 12 step program, the less you speak publicly about AA.
    Third, AA did not work for me, so I tried other 12 step programs and found meetings that DID work for me.
    Fourth, anyone who claims to represent AA and claims or implies they have a monopoly on recovery, is among the very worst and most misinformed "members" of AA. (or any other 12 step program)

Therein lies the catch 22 of 12 step programs.

Because they are programs of attraction rather than promotion, virtually every attempt to promote them as being great, comes from the worst possible spokesperson.

Then, the word of the worst member/ visitor, gets repeated and further promoted, which becomes an accepted myth that serves to make desperate addicts and alcoholics wary of these programs, due to the urban myths.

Virtually every complaint/ issue that gets repeated into urban fact, can be avoided by simply choosing a different 12 step program or different meeting, and maybe a different sponsor if one makes it that far.

So I do agree that, like Strats, spouses, foods, clothing; no 12 step program or 12 step meeting works for everyone.

It is not however, a fact, that some addicts/ alcoholics/ gamblers/ over eaters etc, simply cannot get the results if they follow one of the suitable programs.
    Visiting a few meetings doesn't make anyone clean or sober, any more than visiting guitar shops makes you a guitar player.

Comparing the work it takes to achieve something, I'd say quitting and staying quit in a 12 step program is less work than learning to play guitar well.
    But visiting the rooms where there are guitars or recovery, that won't work for anyone who doesn't do steady work at it.

And like guitar playing, there are many approaches, but few do it perfectly.

A sad thing we see in 12 step recovery is hundreds of patients in treatment who get brought to meetings and keep getting better, then excited to graduate, almost all go right back to using in a few days or months.
    I personally know so many who graduated one year treatment, relapsed, graduated another year treatment, relapsed, numerous times.
    Programs show those members in stats of successful treatment, if the patient graduates and moves back to independent living.

That medical alternative is what it is, they take an expensive shot at treating the patient, but cannot cure them.
    Good realistic info is not easy to sift out of the businesses adverts and the 12 step programs quietly saying "We're here when you're ready".
    There are even treatment professionals who tell patients not to go to 12 step programs, because they make big money putting patients ON "stuff", while 12 step programs help patients get OFF "stuff" for free.

Mojotron and cyclopean like this.
  2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

oh! I haven't had a drink in years, but, I'm still an alcoholic!
    It's important for me remember this just as I will always be left handed,
    Betting this is true is a very safe bet whether it's true or not,
    yeah I bet it's true.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

well people tell me a lot of things,, I mean all kinds of things, do this, do that, do the other, everybody has an opinion, just like everyone, breaths. Oh yeah marriage is just what a card carrying member of al-anon like me needs , WRONG!
    I WOULD NOT INFLICT ME ON ANOTHER HUMAN BEING EVER AGAIN

what works for me is a very simple program,
    1) I take every bodies inventory all the time.
    2) I don't drink one day at a time

That's about as much as I can handle , you see I am a guy that requires simple,
    very very simple because well my thinking got me in a lot of trouble my best ideas
    keep me drunk and stones for a long time.

4. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yep... Those are all great points. I think all of the 12 step programs seem to address a common human condition - without a spiritual connection (believing in something bigger than ourselves and no one has to believe in God or a god...) our soul tries to feed itself with something that will will destroy it (even religion can be an addiction with out a spiritual connection). Like a car on the freeway with no driver and a brick on the gas pedal - people may never realize it - sooner or later we all hit something unless we have or reestablish that connection to Who or what can/will drive the car for us.

I think every human on earth is the same, and what the 12 steps are is repeated all over the place in many forms. I think that condition and the path to regaining that spiritual connection seems to be a universal truth that's actually what is in many spiritual programs if one takes away all of the religious ("one has to do this to be one of us") kind of BS. The 12 steps may just be one way to do that - in many forms (AA, NA, CODA, GA, DA, ACoA...) - but I think it is likely the most direct and honest path to repairing our spiritual connection which I believe could be an issue for anyone and is the disease.

There was nothing someone else might see in my life that drove me to the 12 steps other I got honest that my life was unmanageable. After some time, and some work, I discovered that it's not about dealing with what brought me to the 12 steps, but about really living life that is free from it and really having connections to those around me: Honestly knowing all that could bring me down and how to deal with it. The fact that no one makes a cent off of it makes it all the more credible. I think Its a great way to deal with it directly in anyway that someone wants. Every meeting is different and it's always good to find one that challenges us the most.

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Haven't seen a reply from P77, understandably of course, and hope he's doing well and on "the path"! Very much looking forward to his replies when he's able. I have been thinking of him ever since his last post on his other thread...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.