Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Prototype

Prototype TDPRI Member

Prayers to all of you. I suffer from procrastination and fear. I suppose I can see why people drink. I do the same thing with the internet … and I know that's a huge difference.

stevemc, RhinestoneStrat and Keefsdad like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the tricky part: An alcoholic/addict's brain doesn't function normally when the addictive substance is present in his or her system. What seems quite obvious to a "normal" person is far from what the addict sees as reality. Rational thinking is pretty much impossible to an alcoholic/addict, and it is only once the substance is absent from the system that lucid thoughts will begin to eventually occur again, but in between the addicted brain and the clean brain is a minefield of physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms that in many cases can be fatal.

Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, ya know?

Modman68, stevemc, drlucky and 5 others like this.
  3. teletail

teletail TDPRI Member

If you don't understand it, no one can explain it to you.

I'll just put you on ignore, you seem to be itching for an argument here.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Fiesta Red and drlucky like this.
  4. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for allowing it! I think my story could help fellow musicians here and others who may need help.

Well, I'm back, and I'm sober! I didn't enter the IOP because I didn't fit the requirements since I needed medical detox. After spinning my wheels dealing with the insurance company and the providers about what would or wouldn't be covered insurance. I finally got some advice on how to go about getting some short term (3-5 day) inpatient detox.

So, this past Wednesday, I took an Uber to the ER right before I knew that would start having withdraw symptoms within a few hours. I had to wait awhile, but after getting triaged and finally into a room, my blood pressure started going up. I told them about my history with DTs, and how much alcohol I had been drinking daily and how long. They put me on Ativan and my blood pressure went down. Then, since the doctor knew I needed further detox, they transferred me over to the hospital's behavioral health center for further detox.

It was like being in jail for 3 days, but I'm very very glad that I did it. They released me on Saturday after the 72 hour danger period. I'm still detoxing on Librium, and I will have to tapper off of that stuff. I'll be going to weekly counseling, and I'll be attending AA meetings multiple times a week. The IOP program will cost me a good bit of money, so I'm probably not going to do that unless I (and my counselor) think it's necessary later.

They also put me on a drug called Campral, which is supposed to curb the cravings and has something like a 40% success rate for alcoholics.

Today I was going through my work room, looking for any alcohol that I may have had hidden in my hiding places (edit: to dump and throw away, not drink FYI). I didn't find any, but I found LOTS and LOTS of empties everywhere. This is just a small fraction of some of what I found...

IMG_20190922_154222.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    CWP0126, basher, Wallo Tweed and 14 others like this.
  5. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Just remember this. You only have to stay sober today. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't dwell on the past. Be careful with boredom, idle time, people who still use.
    You can do it.
    Michael

Modman68, Fiesta Red, stevemc and 6 others like this.
  6. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

My prayers for you, Brother. Kicking is a brutal process.

Fiesta Red and Phrygian77 like this.
  7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

You've taken a big first step. Now it's just one foot in front of the other until that becomes a habit. It ain't easy, but it's easier than dealing with a wrecked life.

8. Phrygian77

I have plenty of fun stress relieving hobbies to keep me busy. Amp building, working on my truck (that can be stressful, but in a good way, and I can always throw a wrench across the yard for relief. lol), and of course, there's always turning a tube amp up to 10 and just letting loose!

I'm on hiatus from my band for awhile, indefinitely. I have to learn how to deal with being around alcohol without wanting it. Besides, I can't hide from the commercials on TV, the guy with a beer at the table next to me at a restaurant, etc. It's everywhere. My band mates drink, but they are not alcoholics. Giving up playing in my band, or any band, is not something I'm willing to do forever. It's too important to me.

Fiesta Red, stevemc and skunqesh like this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Praying for your recovery one day at a time.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Avoiding the "danger" situations is only a temporary thing until your resistance to the mental cravings goes away. One of the hardest things about quitting in the beginning is learning how to deal with the people/places/things that you have long associated with drinking. Once the physical cravings are gone it's a completely mental thing. I had to make some huge lifestyle changes in the beginning to facilitate this, but eventually the new lifestyle settled in and it's no longer an issue for me. I would guesstimate that it was around six or eight months for me. I know of one person who rearranged his entire house, so that his environment was different enough that he could sit in his chair without associating it with drinking.

You can do this-just take it in bite-sized portions (meaning one day at a time), and as time progresses it will get easier.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wish you the best.
    The first step you took is huge.

Fiesta Red, Greggorios and Phrygian77 like this.
  12. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

What I meant about "people who still use" is, some people just want a party. So, they're aren't concerned about your problems. Those people are a hassle to be around because they want you to be a drinking buddy.
    You'll probably need to avoid bars for a while. Just explain to your bandmates what's going on. If they are friends, they'll understand. I don't have a problem with being around people who drink now or ads on TV or the booze aisle at the store. I no longer have the need or desire to get intoxicated. I can't explain here how that came about. But the longer you stay sober the easier it becomes.
    Just look at this as a healing process for something you are recovering from.
    A wise lady once gave me this advice. It's what I live by. I think it came from Shakespeare. This above all else, to thine own self be true.
    In other words, be honest with yourself.
    Good luck. If I did it, you can do it.

13. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I'm glad to hear it!

You have plenty of company on you journey.

I latched on to the simple acronym "H.O.W." when I started my journey; simple and easy to remember, even for someone who was in the shape I was in.

Honesty, in particular with myself;

Open mind, in particular to whatever could help my recovery effort;

Willingness; the active part of an open mind.

Hang tough, we can do amazing things for an hour or 24 hours . . .

14. Phrygian77

Most of my friends drink, and part of our social life revolved around drinking. However, they are good loving caring friends who would never encourage me to drink knowing my situation and what I've been through, my band mates included.

I did one time, after being sober for two weeks, go to our regular bar and play cards without craving or being tempted to drink. Not that that was a good idea. There were ultimately other triggers that caused me to start again.

Awayay, these are all things I'll discuss in counseling. I'm staying clear of those situations until I know for certain I'm ready.

stevemc, aging_rocker and Frodebro like this.
  15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Keep an open mind to the idea that you will likely need to change some personal values. If you've ever romanticized drinking, artists who are damaged geniuses, music about being drunk, etc, one of your best defenses against backsliding is changing your attitude about what is 'cool' or even 'normal.' It's all perspective, and yours can change, it just takes purposeful thinking.

I don't know you, so that may not apply much, but use it where you can.

Frodebro likes this.
  16. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat TDPRI Member

I'm glad you are following through to recovery. It is inspiring to see. I hope you get through this like I did. Here is a sad reminder of my drinking days.

009.jpg

17. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I wish you the best, sir.
    There are plenty of folks here on your side, and rooting for you.
    Go for it!

18. Phrygian77

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  19. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Great work, Phrygian77. I'll be looking forward to that Vibro Champ, too. Sobriety at music events especially when I'm playing, has been a challenge for me. Take your time healing and be careful at venues. I have confidence in ya and I appreciate you sharing your journey and all of the accrued wisdom that comes with it. Continued best wishes for ya brother!

20. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Phyrgian77

Been out of town for 12 days celebrating 30 years of a marriage that would have never lasted had I not gotten clean & sober. Will send you a PM in a day or so. I've got some catching up to do.

ONE THING THAT CAN'T WAIT:

Taking benzodiazepines when you are drinking can be FATAL. Seriously, you can slip away without even knowing you are. Steer clear of those, they really don't even help very much.

I'll have 30 years sober in less than 4 months. Never easy but it will get better. Catch you on the PM.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.