Alcohol..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Baard, Sep 30, 2003.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

in the old days...

it was not even accepted, but also kinda humerous. i can't even remember being in a club back then without being fairly torqued up and at least halfway thru a pack of smokes...

my how times change.

looking back on it, i'm just glad there weren't worse circumstances, i.e. BAD bar fights, car accidents, illegitimate children (that i know of) at least in my personal experiences.

but now i've been married to the same woman for what feels like forever (this is GOOD), i'm a daddy, my body isn't as forgiving, cops are even less forgiving, etc.

even if it was socially acceptable like it used to be i still couldn't keep up - just a few drinks and i'm typically dragging a$$ the next day.

which brings up - smoking. i quit for good back in '91. my lungs just could not take it any more. at first i had no probs with other folks smoking, but it's gotten to be a problem over the years. i just can't stand being in a small smoky club for hours any more. my eyes sting, my lungs sting, my clothes reek (as does my equipment), and i feel a bit run down the next day. i hate to sound like a no smoking snob, but i've been smoke free for long enough to realize that it's taking time off my life just 2nd hand...

but back to alcohol. i recently conducted a recording experiment over a period of a few weeks - some sessions with a moderate amount of booze, the rest stone cold sober (my standard recording neuroligical state BTW). my conclusions are that the 'under the influence stuff' sucks in every way. the tracks even sound lethargic and misguided...

2. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Re: Dealing with a roomful of drunks at the end of the night

I'm in the restaurant business.

The waitstaff isn't sober. :eek:

3. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Oh right

For years we used to drink as much as we could, during before and after playing. One night a friend recorded our gig.....I can honestly say I have never mixed drinking with playing since. The gig had sounded good to us at the time but listening to the play back was nothing but pure embarrasment :oops:
    Makes me cringe now when I think of the nights we "thought! were good.

4. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

Well I know what you mean.

This gig we had to do a 3 hr nonstop "dinnermusic gig" befor we got to play the dance...We had all had more than a couple, and you can hear it for sure.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/winchestersmusic.htm

Not that hearing it back made any of us drink any less at the time... :lol: We´re just not that concerned as a band...

Baard

5. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

Every bad decision I have ever made

began by ordering a drink.
    In spite of that,I still play almost totally,in bars.

6. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

Used to...

I wanted to believe that I could have a beer/set & still play well. I got loose & had a good time, so what was the harm?

Then I tried playing without drinking. You can guess the results.

These days, no booze until after the gig is over, if at all.

Drink or Play? For me, it came down to a choice of what I'd rather do well...

YMMV, as always.

7. sticko

sticko Tele-Meister

They don't call it the Bluff City for nothin'
    either way

Sometimes I drink a lot on the road.

I think the regular(i.e. weekly) gigs are the most dangerous in terms of consumption. The "musician loving, friendly bartender" can really do a number on your liver. When I first started this one regular gig, it was open season at the bar. Free food, free drink. For me it'd be pint glasses of Jack and ice, with lemon drop shooters in between. At some point toward the end of the night, I'd "ease back" with a pint or two of Guiness. I'd also come off of being on the road for the better part of 10 years, so I had some misplaced adrenilin issues to sort out. Nowadays on that gig, I go to the back bar and get a styrofoam cup of ice water myself, and then right before the second set order a beer. When the gig is done, I pack up, get paid, and skeedattle. For me, in either instance I play great some nights and have some clams on others. I guess I've had it good bad both plowed and sober. I'm really enjoying my "one beer rule" though.

8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

no effect on me

drinking has absolutely no effect on my playing. i suck no matter what...

9. reverbbb

reverbbb Friend of Leo's

This made me laugh

I have trouble not burping or hiccuping after I eat. But this line that you wrote just makes me laugh. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.