Alcohol..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Baard, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    I was playing in this tent,saturday, when it struck me. Last two or 3 gigs i had not been drinking any kind of alcohol. Not that i´d normally will pour it down, but i´ve been known for having a beer or two in the breaks, which adds up if you play a lot. I guess it´s like the cigarettes....they started to iriitate me, I did not get any fun out of it, so i quit. Same thing with booze. We play a lot, and often have time to kill, but it´s just too easy to have one too many, when it´s free. So It kind of makes sense to not drink at all. Anybody of you have this kind of notions when playing ?

Also I used to be nervous before a gig but that has totally changed, to confidence, and excitement....maybe it´s because i´m gettin older. I take the whole thing a bit more easy....Whatever it is, gigging stone sober is more fun for me than beeing a little liquered up....
    The downside, is that you notice all the silly drunk people...... :lol:

Baard

2. The Snowman

The Snowman Tele-Holic

Agreed...I don't drink either....even when it's free at gigs...I really like the feeling that it's me playin without any stimulants or other things getting in the chain....

well...I am always lookin at the woman and that definately gets me rockin......but that's another story.....don

3. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I agree totally, especially about noticing the drunks. However some nights I just feel like drinkin'. Anymore it often depends on the gig and how far I gotta drive afterwards.

4. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

I usually drink beer at gigs if it's free. My cover band played either three or four sets a night so I'd drink three or four beers over as many hours. In my opinion, that is reasonable and responsible consumption. My bandmates were about the same.

In my younger days (my early 20s, new to the gig scene) we'd bring a cooler with us. 8)

I found the problem wasn't getting drunk but rather having to visit the men's room rather urgently when you're only 15 minutes into a 45- or 60-minute set. :cry:

I would gladly play a gig without alcohol and have done so, but I do like beer and when I'm in a bar playing rock music surrounded by beer drinking customers and bandmates, I'm gonna bend my elbow too, 'specially since they have my favorite beer: FREE! ;)

(BTW, tip the bartender!)

5. Mike D.

Mike D. Tele-Holic

I'll drink if it's free. I really have a problem with club owners trying to charge me full price when it costs them next to nothing. At the very least they should offer draft for free. We slam one song into the next so we don't have much time to do anyhting on stage. I don't see any problem with downing a beer in between sets. In fact, I look forward to it.

6. The Snowman

The Snowman Tele-Holic

good point about the club owners....our Thurs nite gig the guy gives us 1/2 off drinks and food...but when the music starts...he doubles everything anyway...so we end up paying regular price......

but I can do without drinking...but I have to eat before every gig....don

7. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

Yeah, I really like gigs where they give us a free diner, especially if its a good restaurant!!!

8. astro

astro Tele-Holic

I only drink one beer or other drink if that before playing. It sucks if you gotta burp and sing at the same time.

I saw this band the other night that was totally awful. I was hanging (not intentionally) with the singer earlier in the evening. He was basically drunk an hour before the show. He talked a mean mean game before they got up to play. He made mistakes, couldn't hit notes, stuttered and slobbered, in a real pathetic, not good way.

After the show I wannted to tell him, "keep drinking the fans dig it."

9. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Two beers

That's it for me. I have a beer after the first set and one after the second (we only play three one-hour sets). If it's not free I make a point of bringing my own. After all, I'm not there to pay $5.00 for a Bud. After the show I tear down immediately, get paid, and leave, so there's no time for anything else, especially with the DWI laws the way they are now. I'm not there to pick up girls, either. (I swear this is true). I find the left-overs at three A.M. to lack something. I don't know what it is, but you may understand. I'm married and my wife puts up with all this weekend warrior stuff, so why should I? Before a gig I only drink water. That way, if something goes wrong, it can't be because I had a drink. Then the beer after the first set is a lube job. If the first set is killer, then the beer after is a reward to myself. The beer after the second set is just because I'm thirsty.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I drink if it's free, like alot of you other guys. I'm definitely not into giving half my pay back to the bar. I do however, tip generously, even for the free stuff. There is no reason the bartender shouldn't get his/hers. As far as effect on my playing, it get's a little looser, in a good way. I'll be the first one to say, if I have too much, I suck bigtime! :lol: But a few over the course of the night definitely has a positive effect on my soloing.

Jake

11. Michael R

Michael R Tele-Holic

I would replace 'older' with 'experienced' and just rack it up to the fact that maybe you are becoming 'professional' 8) .

12. telefreak

telefreak Tele-Holic

I suck enough without alcohol, so I leave well alone

13. Raymond

Raymond Friend of Leo's

I've never formally gigged, but back in college, in Ohio, a couple of friends and I were in this bar and there was an "open mic" night.
    The music was quite good and after a few 24 oz beers we got quite drunk. By midnight, one guy from the stage says "hey, I know you guys play guitar, come over...there's no one left to play". We said that we didn't have our guitars, that we've never performed in public before, etc. After a couple of min, the hosts produced a couple of guitars and somehow we got convinced to perform. We only knew stuff in spanish, and I remember that the guitars were completely out of tune. We didn't even tuned the guitars and after a couple of awfully played songs some guy in front of the stage said something like "I must be really drunk, because I hear you guys singing in spanish and I like it...."
    :lol: :lol:

14. tenstrings

tenstrings Tele-Meister

i really suck at drinking so i dont really do it anymore. as stated above the cops are out to get drunks and its not worth the risk.
    I know what you mean about everyone else looking drunk... i bartend for a living.
    i will use all my drink tickets on redbull though...
    brian

15. feojack

feojack Tele-Meister

Tee Totaler Too

I've done it both ways, in my crazy youth we'd drink & smoke all night. It begins to wear on you after a few years. As Joe Walsh allegedly said, "When you burn the candle at both ends ,you get twice the light in half the time."
    Baard wrote:

Also I used to be nervous before a gig but that has totally changed, to confidence, and excitement....maybe it´s because i´m gettin older. I take the whole thing a bit more easy....Whatever it is, gigging stone sober is more fun for me than beeing a little liquered up....
    The downside, is that you notice all the silly drunk people......
    Baard

I think we get more "professional" as time goes on and that makes it easier. I still get nervous at first, but after the first tune or two, everyone's locked into gear & starts cooking. I've been clean & sober for 10 years now & it's a gas to remember what key the tunes are in and making fewer "mistakes" both with the songs and the clientele. Drunks are fun to play for, though, I have to admit :D
    Cheers, feo[/quote]

16. telemann51

telemann51 Tele-Holic

Alcohol goes straight to my fingers!

I might have one cold one after the first set or so, but that's it. I can feel the alcohol affect my playing before I feel it its effects in other ways.

I'm in that awkward situation - I love to drink but I hate being drunk. I hate it more than I love to drink. :eek:

17. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

I like drinking too

But then again, I don´t drink at my full time day job (We may have one unit at work) or at home any more. It just get´s irritating, when you have to get up at 3 in the night to feed the baby. So for the next years time it´s good economy with my time and my mind to stay off any kind of downer. I don´t need it because most weeks I´m buzy for 60 hrs + between music and my day job. I swear I can feel it in the morning even if I´´ve had only 4 units of alco the night before. And the things it does to my mind when playing is not positive in any way. I don´t get more overbearing, sooner I get more easily irritated with flaws and imperfection.
    One glass of wine with a meal (we always get fed before the gigs) seems to be nice enough tho.
    I think it has something to do with our schedule. We play a lot now, it´s not just a hobby anymore, it´s a job. If it´s only twice a month then it´s a recreational thing. Then It might make sense to have some brews along with the experience. Or maybe not. Alcohol seems to have a way of gradually creeping up on me. I drink what i have and then I don´t drink for a long time. I never have the urge to drink the next day either. I´think I can put it in the bad habits category, thus it needs to be avoided, if it does not give me any pleasure.

[​IMG]

Baard

18. NashTele

NashTele Tele-Meister

I have not drank any alcohol while playing in a good 20 years. Nothing wrong with that.

19. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Dealing with a roomful of drunks at the end of the night

is torture. when the only sober people are the band, the waitstaff and the detail cop you really start to see all the downsides of alcohol and there's plenty. As long
    as they bring a designated driver I don't give a hoot how
    intoxicated they get - it's when they're gonna put those keys in the ignition that I get really apprehensive 'cause
    in a few minutes I'm gonna be drivin' home down that same road as Mr/Ms "loaded" and I don't need the hassle.

20. cowboy

cowboy Tele-Meister

I never drink & play....

results from playing as a kid when the rest of the band took "break time" to either down a bottle of wine or smoke a couple.....I don't have a problem with it as long as its under control, I just don't do it myself.....

However when I'm not playing....now thats another story. later.

cowboy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.