Alcohol Free January Starts...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I quit everything else cold turkey but nicotine I abused the patch.
Glad that's behind me...

I kicked a lot of jones but nicotine was the toughest, thats a foul and nasty drug to get strung out on ,
I certainly was and man it kicked my narrow behind, I am so glad nicotinism is well behind me, and I'm glad for you, that it's well behind you too.
I hated feeling that craving, that need to smoke , I saw my addiction to it, and I just hated the feeling of being strung out, it was a shameful self esteem crushing feeling I am so grateful that Demon is off my back.
Again I'm glad to hear that it's behind you as well.

Happy New Year. Duane
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz accordian.jpg

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I asked my doctor for help and he prescribed something to take away the urges. Works great.

Campral seemed to work well for me, in conjunction with support and recovery programs. Obviously, this is something a person should talk to their doctor about. Another thing, especially for anyone who's had serious withdrawal symptoms, is to find a good psychiatrist to see on a regular basis if you can afford to.

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
Identifying a problem and working hard to correct it is admirable. Choosing not to drink alcohol is great, like any other diet.

However, it seems many people that don’t drink seem to have to justify it and often times it comes off as a bit self righteous.

Happy new year to those who choose not to drink, and those that choose to enjoy the experience and nuance of finely crafted beer, wine, and spirits.
Reminds me of when Tom Leykis would talk about people on the 'heroine diet'.

Speaking of diets, come Monday alcohol is going on the verboten list so I can lose weight!

jjudas

Tele-Meister
I'm having a tough time kicking the cigarettes. In the past 7 months I smoked about 10 of them. None the first 4 months but then I smoked one over a period of 8-10 hours. another month and maybe 2 cigs and on and on. I need to STOP completely. COPD/emphysema are the main occupants of my medical charts and If I don't totally stop smoking I'm gonna' stop breathing. I know this and yet getting to the stopping point with tobacco is the hardest thing I've tried to do and trust me, I've had some unbelievable habits.

I wish you the best of luck maintaining your sobriety.
Thanks! One thing that helped me mentally when I quit smoking was, i read the book by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.
I hope it gets easier for you.

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
On this day in 1997, I drank my last alcohol. I don't know why I finally came to the conclusion that drinking was bad for ME, but I'm glad that I did. I'm not on a soapbox, if you drink, that's your business. If you don't that's your business too. Some of the best times I ever had were when I was sufficiently, but not excessively drunk. There ain't no buddies in this world like drinking buddies. If you could label that comradery and put that in a bottle that did not produce drunkenness, you could at last find world peace.
****in' A man! You said it ALL!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sobriety is over rated. I like waking up in a dumpster covered in vomit.

You sir, clearly lack the higher skills required in the field of advanced drunkeness!

My recollection of the last times I had fun drinking, which would be about three years before I actually quit, was on the lower east side of Manhattan hitting the bars with nasty bands and spensive beer.
Also hitting 2-3 other suppliers of fun enhancing chemicals but I forget exactly how many chemicals I required or preferred at that time.
I know at least one was an upper and two were serious downers, one of the downers being the legal one distributed by those bars with bands. Inhibitions can be removed a variety of ways, but confidence is so much easier to get with chemicals!

You do of course know the better bars boot you if you got vomit on your clothes, right?
So the skills enhancement you need is learning to puke at the right angle so none gets on you.
Beginners can take advantage of parking meters for stability, since tipsy is tippy and the leaning forward to miss the feet can lead to knees in the puddle.
Once the training is complete you need no props and can even hold a conversation while regurgitating.
Well, within the range of conversation possible while drunk.
Skills development there too, stick to dumb topics since smart is gradually diminished by the booze.
Loss of fine motor skills as a musician was a big motivator in advanced chem skills for fun enhancement, less booze and more other stuff.

Anyhow, that was fun and I even remember bits of what happened, like the avenue I was on, 1st Ave near St Marks.
Or was it Avenue A?
I also found the other nearby suppliers made my need for the booze a bit lower, so I could nurse a beer a good while and still feel like it was fun from the other fun enhancing chemicals. Drinking less was a good choice for me then.
Due to my advanced science chem diet it had actually been years since the booze alone was a problem.
Excellent to keep a list and not let any particular substance be "the problem".
I could quit one any time I wanted and did so quite frequently!

I guess that's why the only date I choose is the one after which I used no fun enhancing chemicals at all.
Quit the booze at 16 and was fine on another pop chem until I guess almost 18.

Once I dropped ALL the chemicals it really did take a year or more to learn to loosen up and have fun with others.
But I started playing in a bar earlier than that just to remember I could do that, which didn't feel like as much fun, yet did feel like higher quality playing with no chemicals dulling my inhibitions.

I sometimes wonder if inhibitions are really a bad thing worth drinking over?
For example choosing romantic interests while wearing the beer goggles, was that really an improvement to my love life?

All this is just for me and (consistent with) others like me or like us who have a problem.
I married a girl who drinks and doesn't really have a problem beyond the usual stuff like shouldn't drive when drinking.
Her whole family drinks and I can enjoy their company without craving what they imbibe.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
just had a double...feels good..i've never had an issue with any booze...seriously..i have a drink now and then and that's it..but for those that have and quit..congrats

THANK YOU FOR YOUR GOOD WILL AND GENEROSITY.
WHAT OTHERS DRINK IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS.
MY BUSINES IS NOT DRINKING ONE DAY AT A TIME.
AND BUSINESS IS A' BOOMIN'!