1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alcohol Free January Is Two Weeks Away!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Dec 15, 2020.

1. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I know there were quite a few last year who missed the start, so here's plenty of notice!

Anyone here who wants/needs to quit drinking has the perfect support group right here!

I would also like to announce that if I can hold out for another two weeks, I will have completed "Alcohol Free 2020".

[​IMG]

2. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

What a year to be alcohol free! Congrats!

3. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Well done, and this was not an easy year to do it. A tip of the hat, fine sir.

gitold, Cantbreak100guy and Torren61 like this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Good for you :) ... go for two .

Torren61 and uriah1 like this.
  5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

It is not alcohol free if you used hydroalcoholic gel ! But i guess alcohol on the hands doesn't count. wink wink.

61fury and Torren61 like this.
  6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

Sober 2020 was NOT the year I signed up for. Might as well jump on the sober January wagon, over the last year I realized I like waking up without a hangover more than I like to drink.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Put me down for a "nah." Not right now, anyways.

Gaz_, beagle, Nickfl and 7 others like this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. Alcohol free since November 2008. At first it was hard to sit with other people drinking. Now it’s easy. I don’t even want it. Hopefully it’s the same with you.

9. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I did a three month hiatus recently. Was well needed. When you start getting a bit carried away, taking a step away for a while and resetting is good for the mind and body.

Now I can enjoy a couple and go to bed. Before I was turning a couple into a couple more, then a few more... Not a great lifestyle

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I'm drinking like a fish in anticipation! :eek:

beagle, drmordo, Dereksys38 and 4 others like this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

The end of the first week of February will be my full year mark.

It wasn't too much of a problem. Two or three glasses of wine stretched out over four or five hours, only in the evenings, only once work was done, the kids were settled in, etc.

BUT...having sometimes been a considerably heavier drinker, I knew that the stresses of Our Current Situation could make me gradually slip back into heavier drinking.

And I was getting annoyed at the time it all took. Sipping wine was great, but when each glass is a half hour, that adds up to a lot of productivity set aside. I found that lying on the floor with the dog and letting myself doze off, or walking the dog up to the park to sit against the big pine trees, or working on a song with the kids, could soothe me as much as the alcohol was doing. And they were all better things to do.

And spending much of the day counting down the hours until I could begin drinking was one loud warning sign.

Plus, having had stomach and esophagus surgery, and my gall bladder removed, and an iffy pancreas all added up to "Stop drinking entirely."

I had already moved away from friends who feel rejected if you don't drink as much as they do. And since I know my triggers--getting a lot of work done, dusk, coming home after swimming or hiking, and that big-gulp post-gig-jitters calm-down self-reward--it's been much easier than I thought it would be. I get strong cravings at said times, but it's fading. And it feels SO good to wake up without any mini hangover feeling, and knowing that I did my body good by not drinking yesterday, which I can copy today.

Once I get the semester finished, I'll have a fierce urge for a self-rewarding BOTTLE of red wine, or a big whiskey and water, or three or four IPA's, as long has been my habit. Instead, I'll talk with my sons and walk the dog in the woods, as fast as I need to to plow through the craving. By the time I get home, I'll be glad that I've pushed the craving aside, and I'll lie down on the floor with the dog, thinking of happy moments with the kids and friends, and baseball, and Canada, and why I keep neglecting that pretty mandolin I bought, and....

If you know your triggers, and you have a low-key but stubborn program of self-distraction and -reward, you can do it. This sounds real corny, but it's mighty leverage: Do it for the people who love you, or at least like and need you. I don't want to sacrifice time with my kids to a chemical.

Best of luck to all. And to those who can drink healthily, have one for me!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have my vices, but - fortunately - alcohol and tobacco are not among them.

I average 2 to 3 drinks a month. I'm sure I've had alcohol free Januarys in the past; more by chance than choice.

I commend those who choose to do this. There are other things I need to give up - maybe January is a good time to address this.

13. olewaylonfan74

olewaylonfan74 TDPRI Member

No alcohol since 1978.

14. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

All you comedians fail to realize that there are members here who need help.

You are probably young and still think you're bullet proof.

News Flash! You're NOT!

You know that guy who you see every morning with a cardboard sign on the corner?

Do you think he chose that as a lifestyle?

At one time, he thought that alcoholism was a big joke that would never happen to him....just like you.

15. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All of you guys who are looking to stop, even if it's just for January, I strongly recommend the book This Naked Mind by Annie Grace.

teleteej and Harry Styron like this.
  16. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You're not wrong, but still... This is a guitar forum. A little perspective perhaps.

AA meetings are online and available to anyone who needs help. Please get the help you need! And not just in January... Now!

39martind18 and Torren61 like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The thing about these “months”, is that hopefully a whole bunch of people that really do have a problem decide to give it a shot and a small percentage will actually stick with it.

Every little bit helps.

I’m not one , but as someone who detests being around them, the fewer sloppy, talk your ear off, get behind the wheel drunks there are - the better .

For me and for society .

M2roadwarrior and Torren61 like this.
  18. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

If all goes well, this will be the 31st January (and the other 11 months as well) sans alkiehall in a row.

19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Congratulations on quitting alcohol.

Have to admit when I saw the thread title I thought they were closing the liquor stores in January!

Dereksys38 and Torren61 like this.
  20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I didn't drink any alcohol at all for most of my adult life. Probably a six pack over 45 years. Now I enjoy a couple of beers on music nights, or not. Same goes for any other intoxicants -- pretty sparse, and not required. And I'm able to fully enjoy because I don't overindulge.

I count myself very lucky. Too many of my friends, relatives, and acquaintances struggle with substance issues. Or, they don't even realize what a struggle they're putting themselves through.

Best wishes to everyone who makes the move and goes for it next month. And after that as well.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Torren61 and Coffeemutt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.