Alcohol buzz when you were 19 vs 45+?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jun 30, 2020.

1. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

The thing about drinking is that by the time you get the good buzz going, you’ve already had enough. And the good buzz doesn’t last long and you can’t get it back by drinking more.

The only thing drinking more will do at that point is to make you sloppy and stupid.

Powwerzombie and Deathray like this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The alcohol buzz I get at 53 is no different than the one I got at 20. The major difference is the hangovers; they are so bad now and it takes so little to trigger them that I don't even drink anymore. I noticed that starting in my thirties, and that's when I gave up heavy drinking. Since then I've caught a buzz maybe five times total, between around 32 and 53. Hangovers get worse and worse each time, almost unbearable. And it takes very little alcohol to bring them on.

Powwerzombie likes this.
  3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

At 19 I was an AIC, worked daily with Aircrews coming back (and not coming back) from combat missions. My alcohol tolerance was MUCH higher than at 45 (5 year after retiring from AF) and very much higher than now!;)

4. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I didn’t really drink until I was old enough to get into a bar. (21) I much preferred naturally grown mind altering substances.(still do, really) But once I did develop a taste for the drink, I’d go full bore until my body let me know I was finished. Now, with decreased stamina and increased responsibility, once I get a bit sloppy or clumsy I shut myself off. “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

5. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I did the obligatory drinking in high school, but after throwing up in my brand new shoes on my 18th birthday, I never drank too much again. Stopped altogether in my early 20s through my mid 60s. Nowadays, I enjoy 2 or 3 beers on a music playing night. 3 is enough to feel it the next day, so usually 2.

6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

The thrill is gone baby,the thrill is gone.

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

At 19, it was bragging rights with me and my loser friends to polish off a 12 pack on a Friday or Saturday night. So many regrettable memories from that era in my life.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I loved the rush of alcohol in my youth... the thrill and excitement and energy of it.
    Now, I love a martini or two and it eases me down, rounds off the edge and makes a nice impressionist painting of the world... or after hard work, a beer or two refreshes and eases the pain of the day.

I have never had vices that dominated my time or attention, but a drink now and then is a beautiful thing as an older person... so lucky to have avoided any real dependence.

9. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

When I was 19 I did such stupid stuff when drinking. At the age of sixty-mumble, I still enjoy some wine on the weekends. I now see being able to self regulate for the gift that it is.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

As you age, your metabolism slows down. Like others here, I'm in my early 50s and feel it. Anyone else getting these ads from Tony Horton and some ripped 57 year old claiming their plans can rev your metabolism back up to the level of a 20 year old? I haven't clicked because I'm old enough to think if it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true. But sure, sometimes I wonder.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Anyone mentioned getting up in the middle of the night to pee? :oops:

KevinB and LutherBurger like this.
  12. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

When I was in my early twenties I could put it away. Didn’t seem to have an affect on me. At 61,I had two beers the other night...time to go home.

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I do that now at 28, is that not normal?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Telesaurous Rex

Telesaurous Rex TDPRI Member

Really liked to drink when I was a kid. Loved the buzz and excitement it gave me. Really liked to smoke dope too along with drinking.

I quit smoking pot over thirty years ago. My job demanded it. It's a good thing because I got stoned a lot. Too much. Over the years my drinking has slowly tapered off. From my twenties up to my early 50's I use to look forward to knocking back a six pack on the weekend. Usually no more. I never drank during the work week, again because of work. I had to have it together. From then on it until 2-3 years ago, maybe 2-4 beers a weekend. Since then it's been maybe a couple of beers a month on average. I only drink when I want to, and that's not too often anymore. Right now it's been 3-4 weeks since I last had a drink. I'll be 66 by years end.

That being said I realize I am very lucky not having a drug or
    alcohol problem.

acmotors likes this.
  15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have no switch or filter. I stopped drinking at 35.

Otis Fine and Deathray like this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It’s just acid indigestion and poor sleep to me now. I haven’t drunk alcohol for about 9 months. I occasionally get tempted to start drinking it again because there are a few things I like the taste of, but it’s not really worth it to me anymore.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Those were the days. When you could drink forever, get a few hours of sleep, and get up and feel fine. And eat! Eat whatever you want and still have abs. Sigh.

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I can't seem to get a hangover any more, the buzz seems about the same but honestly, I can't remember. Alcohol was always played a distant second.

19. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

On the rare occasion that I drink, I’m a two-beer guy. My Dad was a two-beer guy as well. Maybe it’s genetic or something. I enjoy two beers, then lose interest. It seems to stop tasting good after two.

20. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

As I mainly gig on reeds, I tended not to drink anything other than water as reeds and pads end up a horrible sticky mess with anything stronger... but I did a gig in a scratch band on keys/vox/guitar one night and allowed myself a few beers. It was the worst gig I’ve ever played, all night I struggled to keep on time with the lead vocalist, and I vowed never to drink and play again.

couple of days later, I’m talking with my friend whose party it was, and he asked how it had gone. I explained about the timing being off, and he just laughed - turns out the lead vocalist was his younger brother, and “he’s never been able to carry a tune in a bucket, but it was fun watching you trying to keep time with him!”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.