Alcohol buzz when you were 19 vs 45+?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:34 PM.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

When I was young (I'm 50 now) alcohol was pure hapiness and a thrill...
    at 45+I noticed, the "flash" decreased.....no matter how much I drink (I have a natural stop switch=I get tired and stop drinking)

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure if this has anything to do with what you're asking, but I remember at 17-18 years, I would drink enough to have a "buzz", and then usually stop.
    At 29 years or so, I would often keep drinking until I fell down or asleep.
    Since 50 years (or there abouts) I will have two or three drinks (definitely intoxicated but not out of control) and then just quit. Usually a couple times a week.
    As I've mentioned before.....I NEVER drink when I'm gigging......NEVER. ;)

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

At 19 I was pretty good at it.
    At 45+ I had enough (for this lifetime) and hung up my drinking pants.
    Happy to pour or mix one for someone else, though.
    Peace - Deeve

4. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

3 is about my limit at age 53. 2 is probably just right though. I love craft beer. It’s fine when I’m practicing but I prefer sober if I’m playing out. If I’m jamming with a buddy, 1 or 2 is fine.

braveheart and nojazzhere like this.
  5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Same here. when i was younger, the thrill of playing and the beer made for a good gig.

Later on, it was more of a i have got to stay on my toes, because the difference between a good gig and a lousy one was settled in half beer.

Nowadays, no more drinks before i play, because i am too old to jump around, but my guitar playing instead of being "awesome" when i was drunk (awesome to me, hence the " "), kept to a mild it was not so bad sober.

And the truth being told, being hangover when you have another gig coming up and not being a spring chicken, with the stiff muscles, and the cramped left hand, it is either you have got to down whatever you have got to down and feel good and play ok, or just feel miserable for the 1st 5 songs and get into it. And i don't like that last option. And i don't like the 1st option either.

nojazzhere and braveheart like this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I don't remember.

stonetone7, TIM5150, Alamo and 2 others like this.
  7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Age 17 - two cases of beer a week

Age 69 - haven't had any yet this year.

8. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I drink more now than when I was 19. Probably because in those days I'd get a rotten hangover after five pints. Now I rarely get one, even after a good night out drinking seven or eight. But four pints is a pleasant and relaxed way to pass an evening. No more than 5.2% ABV though.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I'm 66. I can drink all day long and barely feel a thing. I come from good drinking stock.

When I was a kid (let's say over 21) I would start drinking at noon, hanging out with the bikers or the band - maybe 10 or 12 beers. Cocktail hour was 6 or 8 Manhattans; Dinner was at least a half-liter of cheap red wine; then out to the clubs for who-knows how many drinks - maybe 6 or 8 JD straight w/Heineken back? None of it ever bothered me one little bit.

A gig wasn't a gig unless there was a bottle or two of JD, and a whole bunch of 16 oz cans of Schlitz Bull. And a pile of coke on top of the amp. Maybe some poppers just for fun.

It was all part of life back then. Cutting lines on the bar at El Torito seemed normal. Dope, drink - all of it, and all the time. I kinda miss it sometimes. But I am older now, and it does not seem so important anymore.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember getting a buzz off two beers when I was a teenager. At the time I stopped drinking 14 years ago (age 43) I was drinking three bottles of wine and 10 shots of Jack Daniels in an evening. I think I'm still hung over.

11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I was never a heavy hitter. I almost always suffered terrible hangovers. As a younger man I could once in awhile drink all night and hop out of bed the next day unscathed. But I do come from a family of alcoholics and there were a few years in my 40's where I gave it a pretty good go at the 'family business' but the pain of the hangovers (and sense of shame and guilt) finally outweighed any perceived benefit from the inebriation. I rarely have beer in the house and if I do a 6 pack will last months. My habit, before this recent new way of living has affected us all, was to go to a regular Sunday jam and I'd have maybe 3 beers and that was it until the following Sunday. I do enjoy a beer buzz...it just kinda softens the edges in a nice way. I tend to get happy rather than sullen and I tend to like everybody rather than become belligerent.

braveheart likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I could never return to that teen buzz though I tried until I was 38.
    Stopped trying, much happier now!
    No booze or drugs since 1998 and I don't miss any of it.
    Not for everyone but it doesn't make life less fulfilling.

13. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

Every so often I’ll throw a few quick ones back on a Saturday afternoon while yard-working and get a nice buzz working, and I can keep the pace juuuust right, it’ll keep for hours. But if I quit and it drops off, I get sooo tired sooo fast I can write the rest of my evening off. I’m 52 now. When I was 20, I had no idea how to maintain.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting how some of us can stroll right through all that, while others end up chronically unhappy, brought to our knees, or dead.

15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

At 19 I didn't know when to stop. It wasn't really a pleasant experience. No one enjoys puking.

Now I hardly ever get more than mellow.

I drink more than I should but less than I want to, which is about as good as it's going to get.

I LOVE to drink.

And, after a recent brush with death, I took the view that, with my medical status, I'm not going to live a long life, and it won't be the booze that kills me, so I'm going to enjoy it, within reason.

Of course, that's MY definition of reason.

16. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

Don't remember what? :D

boris bubbanov and braveheart like this.
  17. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

What's the old joke...
    I'm on an alcohol diet. It's great, I've already lost three days this week.

18. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I got seriously drunk a few times in my teens and twenties, and didn’t like it. In my forties, I realized that I can feel the effects of even a single drink of liquor the next day.

Uncle Daddy and braveheart like this.
  19. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Never drank for the buzz. I drank because I like the taste profiles and having a good time with friends. Not saying I never got buzzed, but that was never the primary idea. As a result, I really can’t comment on the specific question asked by the OP.

boris bubbanov and braveheart like this.
  20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes, every day I am aware of this, and thankful. I knew kids who were dying right and left of me, mostly from heroin OD. But somehow, I just sailed through. Rock'n'roll is a loser's game, it mesmorizes and I can't explain...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.