ALCOHOL ADS.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
This song is a good description of the insanity. As it happens my favourite on the record - it just took me until I was 34 to actually pay real attention to the words.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
It must be the time of year.
I don't have a normal TV so don't see many commercials but I'm re-watching "Babylon Berlin" on the Sky TV app, in anticipation of season 4 later in the summer.
It means 3 minutes of commercials at the start plus a couple of 1 minute ad breaks during each episode.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of sales pitches for 'artisan' gin and whisky going on (75% of the ad breaks) just now and they've all got a similar 'lifestyle' air about them.
I'm obviously in the wrong demographic.
I'm memory serves me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'artisan' or bathtub gin for me, either way I'd be guaranteed to be waking up in a phone booth 3 days later.
It's just because big pharma hasn't infiltrated the tv app yet. Give it a couple years and then it will be 75% ads urging you to tell your doctor what meds you want to try next. 70% of all tv ad revenue comes from big pharma.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was in a similar situation with health for a good while before March 2020 then in response to global events Zoom came along.
I've been globetrotting for the past couple of years from my chair.
It even meant getting back in touch with the guy who helped me in the door but had moved back to BC when he retired.
If anything, my circle of folks has got much larger.
If your needing any logins PM me.
Zoom has been a life saver round the world and many I know now actually first arrived in the halls or rooms on zoom, which seems harder since you may not be able to talk one on one about a pressing question or a situation.
Our group decided to keep zoom open after each meeting for a few to stay and talk, usually dropping off and ending up just two of us and sometimes lasting near an hour after meeting end.

But many for some reason just couldn’t stand zoom!
So we lost a lot of members who either returned to drink and drugs or died.
Including some very solid seeming members, who looked really good in recovery but got isolated and some internal wiring seemingly just snapped.
Two friends who met in recovery, got married, bought a house, had a baby, built up some wealth and were respected leaders in service work, just fell apart in the zoom based reality and are now like the walking dead. They keep popping up with GoFundMe campaigns to get money for little mythological emergencies. They had seemed so solid and happy! Saw Greg at my home group last Thanksgiving when we held a potluck and he hardly spoke but scarfed down some food and took a big pile of leftovers. Didn’t ask about wife and baby and he didn’t mention them.

My home group actually just voted to shut down our zoom portion that we retained in hybrid format with both church basement full of bodies and computer linking others not able to come.
We had reopened the church basement in person part June 2021 so ran hybrid for 10 months.
Different parts of the world have different situations of course and members have different tolerance levels.
Plenty of participants on zoom didn’t turn their video or mic on and just listened.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Easy-to-use defibrillators are common in malls. I'm sure you must have them in the US.
Had to google and see them for home and office around $1400.
Malls?
Stopped going years ago!
Zombieland!

Easy to use sounds sensible but I’m still skeptical of self service defibrillators!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I don't mind booze commercials (okay, my TDPRI JOHN part hates the seltzer commercials)
the only commercials I'm not enjoying are the drug commercials, Jardiance, c'mon man!

and I hate political commercials... we have a small respite from them right now.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Zoom has been a life saver round the world and many I know now actually first arrived in the halls or rooms on zoom, which seems harder since you may not be able to talk one on one about a pressing question or a situation.
Our group decided to keep zoom open after each meeting for a few to stay and talk, usually dropping off and ending up just two of us and sometimes lasting near an hour after meeting end.

But many for some reason just couldn’t stand zoom!
So we lost a lot of members who either returned to drink and drugs or died.
Including some very solid seeming members, who looked really good in recovery but got isolated and some internal wiring seemingly just snapped.
Two friends who met in recovery, got married, bought a house, had a baby, built up some wealth and were respected leaders in service work, just fell apart in the zoom based reality and are now like the walking dead. They keep popping up with GoFundMe campaigns to get money for little mythological emergencies. They had seemed so solid and happy! Saw Greg at my home group last Thanksgiving when we held a potluck and he hardly spoke but scarfed down some food and took a big pile of leftovers. Didn’t ask about wife and baby and he didn’t mention them.

My home group actually just voted to shut down our zoom portion that we retained in hybrid format with both church basement full of bodies and computer linking others not able to come.
We had reopened the church basement in person part June 2021 so ran hybrid for 10 months.
Different parts of the world have different situations of course and members have different tolerance levels.
Plenty of participants on zoom didn’t turn their video or mic on and just listened.
Zoom has been a sanity saver for me. I ended up housebound in late 2019, so it came at the right time. I'm just getting more mobile now but my nearest rooms are 10 miles away which is in sharp contrast to the 350 per week on my doorstep when I lived in Glasgow.

I'm one of the types that embraced the zoom meetings and it's expanded my network beyond what I thought it was possible to the extent that I now know quite well more people in SoCal where MrsK has been going on business half a dozen times per year for the past 10 years. I've even managed to reconnect with the guy who got me through the doors despite him moving to BC when he retired in 2015.

It's been quite a bizarre environment for 'coincidences'. Last week I bumped into someone from Boston that I'd met over zoom a few times at a share I was doing in London via zoom.

There's now as many folk from the US as there are from Scotland at my home group which has stayed online.

I think zoom will be making the majority of my time in the rooms from now on; less mileage (can be fatiguing) and fuel costs. Plus I get plenty of friends dropping by the house for a bit of fireside because I'm where a whole lot of the hiking, cycling and fishing goes on and the lure of a coffee, fire etc is proving attractive to them.

teletina

Tele-Meister
Wow - I'm going to have to report this to the NZ Mussel Protection League, there are surely regulations preventing mussels (green-lipped or otherwise) having their fatty acids removed against their will.

Seen here in their natural habitat, with no artisanal bespokery involved, luxuriating in the pristine tap water of New Zealand:
View attachment 975391
WOW, how cheap price, this is forbidden in Croatia, in France the price was 10 euro 5-6 years ago !