ALCOHOL ADS.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The ads don't bother me. They never forced me to drink, something I did to excess as part of being "normal" for my family. I've outlived them all (parents, brother, sister). None lived to within 5 years of where I am now. I miss them all. I'm the only one who stopped, 30 years ago this August. And man, life is beautiful!!!
Right, some of “us” who choose to live clean & sober seem to feel that substances caused them to use substances.
Im all for the new person trying to stay clean & sober staying away from bars liquor stores and drug dealers, but eventually we are truly free of the desire to take a drink or a drug and do not need to hide from a society that prioritizes those methods of enjoying free time.

My wife and her family all drink, really doesn’t bother me aside from at times feeling less connected when drinkers are laughing at stuff that really isn’t funny, or doing stuff that’s kind of only fun when drinking. But I do stuff like play loud guitar that they cannot feel “a part of”.
At work I may have to help drunk people on vacation and it’s just part of society, not offensive and doesn’t make me want a drink, even if they offer.

Likewise the TV ads are pretty benign here but I guess each country has specs and standards, so maybe @Kandinskyesque sees stuff I don’t see here in the USA.

As mentioned by many of us though, ads telling us to tell our doctor we want treatment are often in poor taste plus etc!

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
ForecastAlcohol.jpg
in my case the stuff poses no threat to me, so long as I don't put it in My body.
The caboose never killed a motorist - always the engine up front...
Peace - Deeve

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Im all for the new person trying to stay clean & sober staying away from bars liquor stores and drug dealers, but eventually we are truly free of the desire to take a drink or a drug and do not need to hide from a society that prioritizes those methods of enjoying free time.

My wife and her family all drink, really doesn’t bother me aside from at times feeling less connected when drinkers are laughing at stuff that really isn’t funny, or doing stuff that’s kind of only fun when drinking. But I do stuff like play loud guitar that they cannot feel “a part of”.
At work I may have to help drunk people on vacation and it’s just part of society, not offensive and doesn’t make me want a drink, even if they offer.
I can relate to this. Everyone is different, but one of the things I asked people around me to do is just act normal. If that means they have a drink socially or whatever, or I'm at a club to see a band, I can be just fine with a club soda and lime. I didn't have to give up friends - actually some of them were instrumental in me staying sober. Being out in public was a good distraction, whether other people were getting sauced or not. The truth is if I really wanted a drink I would have been sneaky about it anyway.

Other people aren't able to and that's okay - whatever works to keep your mind healthy.

I get the allure of the ads. The image, the lifestyle. I mean, if advertising didn't work they wouldn't fork out money to seduce potential buyers. But, even if to my own amazement, getting out sober showed me those images and lifestyles have nothing to do with the booze or whatever product they're flogging.

Poster Extraordinaire
I don’t mind the alcohol ads as much as the online betting ads that my area has been bombarded with lately. Sometimes it’s the same ad twice within one break. At this point I’d welcome an alcohol ad.

The betting ads have died down since the NCAA tournament.

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That's a big reason people have a hard time quitting.It's always in your face.And now that alot of people aren't sitting at home,having a drink or 2,they need to make their sales.And I hate those gambling ads too.They might have a spokeswoman,but all the commercials are filled with guys.That's ok in my book.But you would think they would mix it up some.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Likewise the TV ads are pretty benign here but I guess each country has specs and standards, so maybe @Kandinskyesque sees stuff I don’t see here in the USA.
That got me thinking and to an extent it might be the case that the sales pitch by the alcohol in the UK, Scotland in particular might be more egregious than in the USA or Canada. What struck me was not just that the number of ads has increased per break as the spring/summer months have arrived but that the aspirational aspect of the ads have became more of a focus. Almost like fragrance or luxury car ads.

Our country does have a bit of a reputation for hard drinking, especially among the folks from my side of the tracks. We have twice as many words for drunk as the Inuit have for snow. The drinking culture here became very apparent to me when I stopped; I had to change a whole lot of my old friends, I even adjusted where my wedge monitor sat when gigging because invariably there was 3-4 large ones sat at my feet by the punters during sets.
The author Irvine Welsh commented in an interview a couple of years ago that when he spends 9 or 10 months in the USA he can more or less forget about alcohol but when he's back in Scotland he's drinking again within a week. My wife says something similar about the difference in alcohol culture during her half dozen business trips to the USA per year compared to those at home.

Maybe in posting, my subconscious was telling me to be double holstered as I slowly emerge from 3 or 4 years of being mainly housebound, so I probably owe a debt of gratitude to this forum for allowing that.

Despite that, for me, it wouldn't be a TV ad that would plant the seed of thought of ever drinking again.
Neglect of what I chose to do on a daily basis would be my only Achilles heel that I can anticipate and so far birth, deaths, marriages, ill-health, teenage pregnancy and near bankruptcy haven't altered my resolve.

I'll hopefully look back at this thread in a few months time and wonder why I felt even slightly irked at a dozen or so TV ads.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
It must be the time of year.
I don't have a normal TV so don't see many commercials but I'm re-watching "Babylon Berlin" on the Sky TV app, in anticipation of season 4 later in the summer.
It means 3 minutes of commercials at the start plus a couple of 1 minute ad breaks during each episode.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of sales pitches for 'artisan' gin and whisky going on (75% of the ad breaks) just now and they've all got a similar 'lifestyle' air about them.
I'm obviously in the wrong demographic.
I'm memory serves me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'artisan' or bathtub gin for me, either way I'd be guaranteed to be waking up in a phone booth 3 days later.
I love the show. all that advertising, and never mention concerning the real cost of drink.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That got me thinking and to an extent it might be the case that the sales pitch by the alcohol in the UK, Scotland in particular might be more egregious than in the USA or Canada. What struck me was not just that the number of ads has increased per break as the spring/summer months have arrived but that the aspirational aspect of the ads have became more of a focus. Almost like fragrance or luxury car ads.

Our country does have a bit of a reputation for hard drinking, especially among the folks from my side of the tracks. We have twice as many words for drunk as the Inuit have for snow. The drinking culture here became very apparent to me when I stopped; I had to change a whole lot of my old friends, I even adjusted where my wedge monitor sat when gigging because invariably there was 3-4 large ones sat at my feet by the punters during sets.
The author Irvine Welsh commented in an interview a couple of years ago that when he spends 9 or 10 months in the USA he can more or less forget about alcohol but when he's back in Scotland he's drinking again within a week. My wife says something similar about the difference in alcohol culture during her half dozen business trips to the USA per year compared to those at home.

Maybe in posting, my subconscious was telling me to be double holstered as I slowly emerge from 3 or 4 years of being mainly housebound, so I probably owe a debt of gratitude to this forum for allowing that.

Despite that, for me, it wouldn't be a TV ad that would plant the seed of thought of ever drinking again.
Neglect of what I chose to do on a daily basis would be my only Achilles heel that I can anticipate and so far birth, deaths, marriages, ill-health, teenage pregnancy and near bankruptcy haven't altered my resolve.

I'll hopefully look back at this thread in a few months time and wonder why I felt even slightly irked at a dozen or so TV ads.
Lots here Id like to comment on!

”We have twice as many words for drunk as the Inuit have for snow”
Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha hilarious!

My wife is half English half Irish so drinking is deep rooted, and her parents have dual citizenship and are in Ireland now.
Im mostly German (with the last name from a Polish Jew who emigrated here in the 1850s) so my DNA is wired for drinking.

Funny thing when I first got clean & sober is that I met a gal also new to recovery who sang in an acoustic duo, and she invited me to sit in with them on lead guitar.
At an Irish Pub!
Used to love the Bass or black & tans.
Anyhow, my GF came too so three sober people drank soda while the drinking and music dizzied the room.
So nice to be able to play for an audience again after losing all my guitars and not playing at all for a while!

BTW I don’t mean to suggest Ireland and Scotland are sorta the same or that Germans drink like Scots etc etc!
Just Pubs and the idea of culture around drinking.

As for your closing line about all the recent stresses that haven’t altered your resolve, same here and it’s interesting that newly sober people often take a challenge they face as a reason to go back to the drink.
Literally never crosses my mind as attractive!
Been struggling to not lose my house amidst health and financial problems recently.
How will drinking and drugging improve my lot???

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Lots here Id like to comment on!

”We have twice as many words for drunk as the Inuit have for snow”
Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha hilarious!

My wife is half English half Irish so drinking is deep rooted, and her parents have dual citizenship and are in Ireland now.
Im mostly German (with the last name from a Polish Jew who emigrated here in the 1850s) so my DNA is wired for drinking.

Funny thing when I first got clean & sober is that I met a gal also new to recovery who sang in an acoustic duo, and she invited me to sit in with them on lead guitar.
At an Irish Pub!
Used to love the Bass or black & tans.
Anyhow, my GF came too so three sober people drank soda while the drinking and music dizzied the room.
So nice to be able to play for an audience again after losing all my guitars and not playing at all for a while!

BTW I don’t mean to suggest Ireland and Scotland are sorta the same or that Germans drink like Scots etc etc!
Just Pubs and the idea of culture around drinking.

As for your closing line about all the recent stresses that haven’t altered your resolve, same here and it’s interesting that newly sober people often take a challenge they face as a reason to go back to the drink.
Literally never crosses my mind as attractive!
Been struggling to not lose my house amidst health and financial problems recently.
How will drinking and drugging improve my lot???
I hope things resolve favorably for you soon. I think of the saying, "There's nothing that a drink can't make worse."

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I can relate to this. Everyone is different, but one of the things I asked people around me to do is just act normal. If that means they have a drink socially or whatever, or I'm at a club to see a band, I can be just fine with a club soda and lime. I didn't have to give up friends - actually some of them were instrumental in me staying sober. Being out in public was a good distraction, whether other people were getting sauced or not. The truth is if I really wanted a drink I would have been sneaky about it anyway.

Other people aren't able to and that's okay - whatever works to keep your mind healthy.

I get the allure of the ads. The image, the lifestyle. I mean, if advertising didn't work they wouldn't fork out money to seduce potential buyers. But, even if to my own amazement, getting out sober showed me those images and lifestyles have nothing to do with the booze or whatever product they're flogging.
The image often involves being passed out, naked, in the front yard.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
The most annoying ad of all:

193_image.jpg

The active ingredient comes from green lipped mussels. WTF? The ad runs 3 minutes long on some channels. I wonder if this junk can relieve the pain of watching their ads.
Wow - I'm going to have to report this to the NZ Mussel Protection League, there are surely regulations preventing mussels (green-lipped or otherwise) having their fatty acids removed against their will.

Seen here in their natural habitat, with no artisanal bespokery involved, luxuriating in the pristine tap water of New Zealand:
1650402705039.png

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
A mayor in the Akron area was found passed out, drunk and naked, in his neighbor's driveway quite a few years ago. This was being discussed on a local talk site (RIP Howie Chizek) when a caller stated "Who hasn't had that happen?"

My fellow soaks and I laughed for a moment, looked at each other, and then looked at our boots.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
A mayor in the Akron area was found passed out, drunk and naked, in his neighbor's driveway quite a few years ago.
That's even more poetic when you consider the thousands of sober people from all over the planet who travel to Akron every year just to have their photograph taken outside of a certain house.

I wonder is said Mayor is in any of those photographs.