ALCOHOL ADS.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
I'll take booze adds over the annoying medical and medication adds that are 24/7/365. Just take this pill for your depression or inject just twice daily for your diabetes and it's all smiles... &($%^@

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
I see more ads for new meds that may kill you followed by ads for lawyers suing over new meds that killed people.
The part that bothers me the most is seeing those prescription ads listing what seems like 50 serious possible side effects followed by (or preceded by) lawyers advertising a class action suit for that very same prescription drug.

Another thing about many of those prescription drug ads is when they say don’t take it if you are allergic to it. Really? How would you know if you haven’t taken it first, and if you have and find that you are allergic to it then who would continue to take it?

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
You still have phone booths, or are you talking Tardis?
We still have a few of the old red ones here, usually in rural areas. They tend to be converted into emergency defibrillator stations.

The glass ones were still around back when I was drinking, a bit draughty but that was the least of my problems on wakening up smelling of more than one persons urine.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Another thing about many of those prescription drug ads is when they say don’t take it if you are allergic to it. Really? How would you know if you haven’t taken it first, and if you have and find that you are allergic to it then who would continue to take it?
Paging Dr Darwin, Dr Darwin to the exam room...

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
It must be the time of year.
I don't have a normal TV so don't see many commercials but I'm re-watching "Babylon Berlin" on the Sky TV app, in anticipation of season 4 later in the summer.
It means 3 minutes of commercials at the start plus a couple of 1 minute ad breaks during each episode.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of sales pitches for 'artisan' gin and whisky going on (75% of the ad breaks) just now and they've all got a similar 'lifestyle' air about them.
I'm obviously in the wrong demographic.
I'm memory serves me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'artisan' or bathtub gin for me, either way I'd be guaranteed to be waking up in a phone booth 3 days later.
It's the pharmaceutical ads flooding the airwaves that irritate me. Drugs for this and that, with names I can't pronounce and side effects worse than the problems they claim to solve. I used to write down the names of those I saw advertised , and I would get 15 to 20 in a period of couple hours with few repeating. And the next day many of those would not be on the list but many new one's would be. "Ask your doctor about ____________"

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
The ads don't bother me. They never forced me to drink, something I did to excess as part of being "normal" for my family. I've outlived them all (parents, brother, sister). None lived to within 5 years of where I am now. I miss them all. I'm the only one who stopped, 30 years ago this August. And man, life is beautiful!!!

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The part that bothers me the most is seeing those prescription ads listing what seems like 50 serious possible side effects followed by (or preceded by) lawyers advertising a class action suit for that very same prescription drug.

"If you have taken Prolaxis and you have died, call your doctor right away!"

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Totally agree with this, the most offensive advertising in our current society is all the betting. You can’t have sport on TV without having betting app adds shoved down your throat by the spade full. Im ok with alcohol adds
I normally don’t watch sports and am getting bombarded with them during the local evening news broadcast. The ads I see for hard liquor I’ve noticed more in the later evening hours and on cable channels as opposed to the bigger networks.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
The most annoying ad of all:

193_image.jpg

The active ingredient comes from green lipped mussels. WTF? The ad runs 3 minutes long on some channels. I wonder if this junk can relieve the pain of watching their ads.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
The first pint was always the best. The first couple of swallies, really.
The anticipation is as important, as the actual imbibing. Watching it being poured and watching it settle, are crucial elements of the build-up.
I usually drink the black stuff, in the pub- because it's consistent. Not that it's wonderful, more that it won't be undrinkable. Nothing worse, than all that expectation, followed by a crappy pint.

j5V01xY.gif

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
It must be the time of year.
I don't have a normal TV so don't see many commercials but I'm re-watching "Babylon Berlin" on the Sky TV app, in anticipation of season 4 later in the summer.
It means 3 minutes of commercials at the start plus a couple of 1 minute ad breaks during each episode.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of sales pitches for 'artisan' gin and whisky going on (75% of the ad breaks) just now and they've all got a similar 'lifestyle' air about them.
I'm obviously in the wrong demographic.
I'm memory serves me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'artisan' or bathtub gin for me, either way I'd be guaranteed to be waking up in a phone booth 3 days later.
I assume the entire advertising architecture is different, for the younger demographic, who consume most media, via the internet. Artisan spirits, 'craft' beers and suchlike, have to be a harder sell, to folks old enough to recognise marketing spin, when they see it. ;)