ALCOHOL ADS.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I gave up the booze a while ago, but the only one that I really take note of is the ad for (throwing up in my mouth a little) apple-flavored Crown Royal--which sounds completely nauseating in its own right, but is accompanied by this terrible fever dream/psychedelic animation that gives me a headache. The whole thing turns my stomach every time it comes on tv.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I gave up the booze a while ago, but the only one that I really take note of is the ad for (throwing up in my mouth a little) apple-flavored Crown Royal--which sounds completely nauseating in its own right, but is accompanied by this terrible fever dream/psychedelic animation that gives me a headache. The whole thing turns my stomach every time it comes on tv.
I tried one the other day, local sells singles. Not great. Nor is the cola one.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I'll be off it twenty five years at end of this year. To quote Sir Henry Rawlinson "if I had all of the money I spent on drink I'd spend it on drink". Having a cringe memory of drinking hair laquor mixed with milk with someone who went onto drink himself to death at a young age, we were about nineteen max and I was already an alcoholic but didn't realise it yet. I was homeless twice, begging on the streets for change for booze, character building stuff. What was my main drinking buddy is one of the two functioning alcoholic friends I mentioned in an earlier post. I used to go on holiday to Cyprus a couple of times a year and at the local Woolworths they had bottles of 95% proof alcohol with a drawing of a still on the label, I used to sometimes bring him one back before I realised how bad an idea it is to give an alcoholic drink, some years it would be in the drink section others in the cleaning section, he'd save it for special occasions when he had friends around and they'd drink shots of it from the cap.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Yesterday made 16 years for me.

Near the end of my drinking I was being 'fiscally responsible' buying a nice bottle of Big Bear - served in a nice glass though. Mmmm...
Congratulations, no small feat.
10 years this year for me.
Some folk tell me that for every year I get one second more of time between thinking and speaking.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
It's just a fantasy world where drink makes you happy and attractive - so does driving a too big a car through deserted city streets and having your money stolen by licensed thieves, sorry I should say bookmakers. Plenty of others, but those are my big three rant provokers.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Let me state emphatically, I detest cigarettes but enjoy beer, red wine, and a (very) occasional cocktail.

But it's funny to me that you can advertise hard liquor, beer etc on TV in the US, but cigarette ads are banned. Guess the alcohol lobby has more juice.

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
I don’t mind the alcohol ads as much as the online betting ads that my area has been bombarded with lately. Sometimes it’s the same ad twice within one break. At this point I’d welcome an alcohol ad.
Totally agree with this, the most offensive advertising in our current society is all the betting. You can’t have sport on TV without having betting app adds shoved down your throat by the spade full. Im ok with alcohol adds

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Advertising. Because somebody wants to take your money.

And everybody is out to screw you.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
It will be 24 years in August (Good Lord willin’) since I quit drinking. The president of the José Cuervo’s distributing division called me and said, “You can’t do this to me—I have a mortgage and kids that are in college!” I hung up while he was still crying, ten minutes later.

The ads are a bit annoying, but no more than any other ad, and at least some of them are funny or clever (even if misleading). They don’t tempt or inspire me to drink, so that may be why they don’t bother me very much.

I might start drinking again when I turn 80. I figure my liver will have caught up with what I did between 1984-1998.

The lesson is: don't run out of soju!

If Soju worked like that, I’d insist everyone around me drink a shot every 15 minutes. I’d finally be handsome and popular—or at least look like a pretty Korean girl!

Let me state emphatically, I detest cigarettes but enjoy beer, red wine, and a (very) occasional cocktail.

But it's funny to me that you can advertise hard liquor, beer etc on TV in the US, but cigarette ads are banned. Guess the alcohol lobby has more juice.
The reason the alcohol lobby has all that juice is to make Cape Cods or Screwdrivers…
(Just kidding…maybe)

It is interesting how there have been multiple studies linking heavy drinking (define that, please) with throat cancer, but we don’t hear about that…everybody knows cigarettes cause cancer but very few know that drinking can cause it too.

I guess the only lobby stronger than the alcohol lobby is the Liver Lobby, because at least most of us are aware of the issues with booze and cirrhosis.