ALCOHOL ADS.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
It must be the time of year.
I don't have a normal TV so don't see many commercials but I'm re-watching "Babylon Berlin" on the Sky TV app, in anticipation of season 4 later in the summer.
It means 3 minutes of commercials at the start plus a couple of 1 minute ad breaks during each episode.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of sales pitches for 'artisan' gin and whisky going on (75% of the ad breaks) just now and they've all got a similar 'lifestyle' air about them.
I'm obviously in the wrong demographic.
I'm memory serves me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'artisan' or bathtub gin for me, either way I'd be guaranteed to be waking up in a phone booth 3 days later.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh yeah. At the end of my drinking, it was about proof first, quantity second. American corn whiskey up around 120 proof was my drink of choice. Yeah, I grow weary of alcohol ads in my face. Soon, it's going to be weed.
@Kandinskyesque is other side of an ocean so I don't know about the ads but I don't expect anything but state by sate for the topic you mention. If you cross the state border north of us that industry has ski area promos much as I recall beer, wine and hard liquor promotions from the past. I'm not much of a TV watcher but my daughter and I will watch cable TV if in a hotel room because we don't have cable at home. None of the local ads were that topic but billboard and web advertising were. It just no way seems to be a problem the way alcohol is. The ski areas seem less obnoxious than what alcohol will fuel.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm okay with it. To wit

1650319108467.png

1650319077924.png

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
It must be the time of year.
I don't have a normal TV so don't see many commercials but I'm re-watching "Babylon Berlin" on the Sky TV app, in anticipation of season 4 later in the summer.
It means 3 minutes of commercials at the start plus a couple of 1 minute ad breaks during each episode.
There seems to be a disproportionate amount of sales pitches for 'artisan' gin and whisky going on (75% of the ad breaks) just now and they've all got a similar 'lifestyle' air about them.
I'm obviously in the wrong demographic.
I'm memory serves me, it doesn't matter whether it's 'artisan' or bathtub gin for me, either way I'd be guaranteed to be waking up in a phone booth 3 days later.
I hear ya. It could be a $100 bottle of Bookers or a $12 bottle of Evan Williams (which is not bad for a bottom shelf bourbon); neither will be on the shelf for long in my house, which is why I can't touch that stuff too often, or hardly ever anymore.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
"My husband qualified" I use to say this to my wife whenever a class action lawsuit commercial came on

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We have a pair of 18 year olds in high school and their older sister who can do whatever she wants. They treat all that as "whatever" but they grew up with more open parents who always tried to point out or discuss results from making good or poor decisions. My cousins same age with same aged kids in legal states don't have any issues and also have successful kids from following similar ways.
I hope that's what we see across society. My wife and I (no kids) have talked about this at some length. If it's not forbidden, maybe it won't be as cool as when we were kids. The smarter ones stayed away. Others of us did not. But we thought we were on the razor's edge.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Oh yeah. At the end of my drinking, it was about proof first, quantity second. American corn whiskey up around 120 proof was my drink of choice. Yeah, I grow weary of alcohol ads in my face. Soon, it's going to be weed.

Weed ads have sorta already started. Saw a spot on TV a week or 2 ago for "Harrelson's Own" CBD oil. They had all kinds of cheerful actors and actresses doing fake testimonials on how this stuff takes all their cares away ...

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Hey, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Ain't life great(er)?

Lord willing, July will be 7 years.
Hey, thanks for that. Yeah, things are different alright. I was married living in a nice house. It was AFTER I quit that she asked for a divorce. 😂

All good though. Being 8 months sober at the time prepared me for what was to come. And no, I wouldn't go back. Many many things changed for the positive.

Coming up on 7 years is awesome. As is today. And I'm still only one drink away from blowing it like everybody else.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I get it. Artisanal liquor marks you as a cultured rather than a common drunk. It also makes more money for the distiller. And if you drive away into someone else, you’ll be paying for a very artisanal lawyer, spending the night in a very unartisanal cell.

Remember, you can't spell "artisanal" without "[email protected]"🙀