Alcohol: A life ruiner

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
I have always thought: I know why people misuse drugs and alcohol, but I refuse to do it.
It's so hard, and all the people that you hurt along the way, it's just a lose-lose. But with a guitar
in hand, all is well. Let your music be your drug/alcohol.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I haven't read any posts here. BUT an observation. Bars!! What is a bar for? drinking alcohol. If you go to a bar,(not a night club) at 11pm and every seat is taken, they are all alcoholics. So, if you do go to bars, odds are, you are an alcoholic. And it is comfortable there because everyone has the same issue in total denial. Think of that next time you walk by a bar or into a bar. AND, all those folks at the bar drinking, they are gonna drive home. either to their own home or their neglected families. Interesting picture, huh?

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I understand your situation.

Alcohol is poison for some folks.

They should not drink.

I wish you good luck and happiness!

imo.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Meister
I made the decision to quit drinking back in spring of 2020 and I've been sober since. Before that I was a 365 days a year drinker for the better part of 13 years.

My dad died of alcoholism days after my 16th birthday. His brother died of booze related problems years later. Their father died of cancer attributed to booze. Not a single one of them older than 52 years old...

I knew if I kept doing what I was doing I'd be the youngest one to get the ghost, as I started at 18. Not want I wanted for myself, nor my wife, but it took awhile. I have a lifetime of dumb drinking stories and blurry shameful memories I have no desire to revisit.

Getting sober was the best thing I've ever done with my life.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I made the decision to quit drinking back in spring of 2020 and I've been sober since. Before that I was a 365 days a year drinker for the better part of 13 years.

My dad died of alcoholism days after my 16th birthday. His brother died of booze related problems years later. Their father died of cancer attributed to booze. Not a single one of them older than 52 years old...

I knew if I kept doing what I was doing I'd be the youngest one to get the ghost, as I started at 18. Not want I wanted for myself, nor my wife, but it took awhile. I have a lifetime of dumb drinking stories and blurry shameful memories I have no desire to revisit.

Getting sober was the best thing I've ever done with my life.
Congratulations every day of freedom is a celebration and the milestones even more so.
You've broken the multi- generational chain and it one of the greatest gifts you can confer or your heritage.

I'll be 3500 grateful days away from my last drink on Monday, I count the milestone days because the only way I've been able to get this far is by telling myself every morning that whatever happens (and serious stuff does) I'll do everything I can not to touch that first drink.
Faith in my community of recovering people has got me this far and I'm grateful that there's even a community of this type in this fantastic corner in cyberspace.

I wasn't expecting that when I joined here last year but providence moves in mysterious ways.

Thanks for helping me stay sober with your candour and by staying sober yourself.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
I haven't read any posts here. BUT an observation. Bars!! What is a bar for? drinking alcohol. If you go to a bar,(not a night club) at 11pm and every seat is taken, they are all alcoholics. So, if you do go to bars, odds are, you are an alcoholic. And it is comfortable there because everyone has the same issue in total denial. Think of that next time you walk by a bar or into a bar. AND, all those folks at the bar drinking, they are gonna drive home. either to their own home or their neglected families. Interesting picture, huh?
No offense meant but I think pretty much everything you typed is wrong.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I found this graph very illuminating:
30% of the US population doesn't consume any alcohol, and another 30% consumes less than one serving a week. At other end of the spectrum, 10% of the population drinks up about 90% of the booze. I'm not sure that squares with the assertion above, but if you're one of those people sitting at the bar past 11pm *and* one of those in that 10%, you're steeply outside of the norm, and at dire risk of life-limiting harm.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I feel quite lucky to have never had a drink problem, I've been able to take it or leave it all my life.

I've been addicted to nicotine, but never got that way with alcohol... I'm not sure why. I can really enjoy a cool pint on a hot day or a few rums on a friends birthday or a few glasses of wine with a special meal, but I often go months and months without touching a drop and I don't even think about it. I have a bottle of rum of the side now that's been there since Christmas, it's more than half full still. I'll probably finish it off around my birthday and Christmas this year!

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
One day @ time, it gets different; sometime/often, Better
41332.jpeg