Albums you bought, sound-unheard, and liked.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chester P Squier, May 31, 2021.

1. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Anybody else ever buy an album (tape, CD, download, etc.) that you had not heard so much as a sample of, and actually liked?

3-chord-genius's thread got me thinking and reminded me of 1971. As a Crosby, Stills & Nash (& Young) fan, I thought Crosby had the richest-sounding singing voice. So I saw his first solo album in a grocery store* and bought it. I had never heard any of the cuts. If I Could Only Remember My Name was the album title.

I liked the whole album. There was one cut I at first found long, rambling, and boring, "Cowboy Movie." I later learned that it was a metaphor about the breakup of CSN&Y. It was more of an "outlaws and Indian" movie, with the outlaws representing CSN&Y, and the Indian girl being Rita Coolidge, whom they were fighting over.

The rest of it was somewhat atmospheric, introspective stuff, with several musicians from the San Francisco rock scene, members of the Dead, Santana, Airplane.

Some of the cuts have Crosby's voice in several layers, and it works very well.

I think that was the only time I bought an album when I was not familiar with the material.

*Anybody else remember when you could buy LP records anywhere? Grocery stores, drugstores, Western Auto...

catdaddy, Fendereedo, Stubee and 2 others like this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Mad Season. picked up on reputation alone when I was in high school. My boss at a catering company and a bass player my dad knew both spoke highly of it when we were talking about Layne Staley. Great Album/ Band that doesn't get the same recognition as MotherLoveBone.

3. demon

demon Tele-Holic

Labradford's fixed::context - here's a Pitchfork review: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4617-fixedcontext/

I'd never heard of the group, and I had no idea what it sounded like. But the graphic design was the height of cool to 2001-me, back when I could feasibly fake being cool, and that was enough.

In case you're wondering, the album sounds like the cover art looks.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. demon

demon Tele-Holic

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

The first Mahavishnu Orchestra album. When I started to play guitar, I knew I needed to start listening to both jazz and jazz-rock fusion to broaden my sonic palette. I saw photos of John McLaughlin playing a Les Paul and a Gibson doubleneck in Ralph Denyer's The Guitar Handbook, so I thought this could be interesting, and bought The Inner Mounting Flame at (I think) the Sam Goody's in the Moorestown (NJ) Mall. Drove home, put it on the turntable, and it was like listening to the aural equivalent of an atomic bomb explosion. After listening to it a couple more times, I began to understand what was going on there. Absolutely blazing stuff.

6. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Larry Coryell-Barefoot Boy

It was a dude playing a guitar on the cover!

Fendereedo and CharlieO like this.
  7. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Blind Faith.jpg
    1969. Blind Faith

It was anticipated and heralded as the next thing from Eric Clapton, but it was very different than Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire to say the least. However it, and the strong influence of Steve Winwood, grew on me and I enjoyed my purchase. :)

Blackmore Fan, Fendereedo and DonM like this.
  8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I didn't buy it. I told it here before. One of my sisters friends left Quadrophenia in our basement, book included, maybe 75-76. They never saw it again and to this day it is no doubt still my all time favorite album.

9. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Every Maiden album since Somewhere in time. Seriously.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Too many to count. That's how we did it back then. Only some stuff might be on the radio, and somebody had to buy the record first. You might read about it.

11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

One of my favourites, definitely in my top 5 anyway. The Stone Rose's 1st album. There have been many since, some good, some bad.

12. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

Queens first LP. World sinfonia Al Dimeola. ELO first LP. These are a few that I bought when they first came out and did not know anything about the people in the bands.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

41FA6CE6-8B6A-44BD-BD01-23B342789C7F.jpeg CA0CFB10-ACC8-4223-B335-E23E6AC07B6F.jpeg 0F692546-085C-4352-ABF4-71A41AE74FA9.jpeg I read an article about Bill Frisell in a 1990-ish issue of Guitar Player. I was a rock kid but the article made him sound pretty interesting. Not long after I saw a cassette of his album “Is That You?” in a record store bin, and bought it. Been a fan ever since.

Another artist that went that way was when I read about Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers. I bought “Deluxe Addition,” and really liked the vibe and energy and skronktastic guitar sounds and his goofball blues singing.

Big Joe Williams...same deal. I read “customized nine-string guitar” and I had to check that out.

14. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Never mind. A friend told me I’d love it so I picked it up. On cassette. Two weeks later it was everywhere.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

I’ve been devouring music for the majority of my life, but never have I actually purchased anything by an artist that I wasn’t already familiar without having heard any of their work first.

There have been plenty of records I’ve bought “unheard” by artists I already liked, however. Dylan for example. After hearing “Like A Rolling Stone” for the first time, I was hooked and bought his entire catalog.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Fendereedo and WingedWords like this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

ALL of the Los Lobos albums ( up to Colossal Head) come to mind

I have a few '60's /early '70's that I recently got) which 'except for that one song' ( one that got some radio play, I had never heard- but heard of....that have now become some of my favorite LP's :

Fleewood Mac- Bare Trees

Poco- Poco ( actually their 2nd album)

17. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Probably 1973-74', I was a sophomore or junior in high school. The local Piggly Wiggly had a rack of albums. I had heard of them but had no idea what they sounded like. I knew they were from San Francisco, like the Airplane, Blue Cheer, and Quicksilver Messenger Service. The music surprised me by how un-heavy it was, not really as "psychedelic" as I was expecting. This was a totally unique vibe.
    Took me a few spins to get hooked but it had me in short order.
    [​IMG]

Fendereedo, scook, David C and 2 others like this.
  18. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

3A0FFAB4-4770-4FFF-B533-BD3CE449D94E.jpeg

Fendereedo and Lawdawg like this.
  19. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Neko Case - “Middle Cyclone”

I heard an interview with her on a NPR show and she sounded interesting. I took a chance, bought the album and loved it. It was in heavy rotation with me for quite a while. Bought up her back catalogue at the time and became a big fan.

C79856EF-D2B0-44CE-B31C-F3A698BE3352.jpeg

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections bought on sight.

I knew him from Goodie Mob, Still Standing is still one of the best hiphop albums I have ever heard.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.