Albums that you bought because they were supposed to be good, and they weren't

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

"Rolling Stone magazine raved about it..."

And what was your second clue?

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Which Lamb Lies Down are you referring to? The only one I've heard is the masterpiece that Genesis recorded. So incredible that Peter Gabriel knew he could never again reach the bar they set. (and soon left the band)
    I will agree that it seemed to "lose a little steam" by the fourth side, but it's still an incredible LP.;););)

AAT65, WalthamMoosical and SuprHtr like this.
  3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

"Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is fabulous. After which it all went downhill fast.

I'd say Steely Dan's "Aja" but I've never actually bought a Steely Dan record.

3-Chord-Genius and swervinbob like this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

This might sound like heresy to many, but "Dark Side of the Moon." I was a miserable kid who tried but couldn't identify with any of the lyrics or tempos, and angry that I spent hard-earned lawn cutting earnings on the LP. Now I'm a less miserable grownup who can appreciate Gilmour's restrained, melodic guitar solos. But the overall package still doesn't move me. Sorry.

5. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

a victim of a glowing rolling stone review for the hindu love gods, zevon/REM... the only album in my life i've returned for a full refund, told'em something was wrong with the cassette.

BrazHog likes this.
  6. LWS66

LWS66 TDPRI Member

It’s different, not as horrid as I thought, just remember reading all the blurbs about him, ordering the cd and being underwhelmed as listening to it all the way through wore me down. I admit I have no idea what his later stuff sounds like, might actually be good. I like Steve Marriott early stuff so I’m likely biased!:eek:

tanplastic likes this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

THE most hyped album when released when I was a teen saving pennies to afford maybe one or two new albums a month was

Springsteen; Born To Run.

I tried to listen to it once and gave up and actually snapped the LP in half and ripped the cover to shreds!

I still HATE that album and will smash stereos if I can't get one of those horrible cuts turned down in time!!!

I NEVER had such a visceral hatred for an album in my life! I'd bought clunkers before but this was like being forced to eat liver for dinner or going to the dentist.....

bender66, RodeoTex, Rufus and 4 others like this.
  8. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I was told Prince was a genius songwriter, but his albums made it to the trash at my place. :cry:

AlbertoMilanese, RodeoTex and Rufus like this.
  9. superjam144

I hate his drunk sounding voice.. but acknowledge he had some good tunes...

10. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Blood Sugar Sex Magik, I blamed it on the increased running length offered by CDs. Like an album would be better because it had more tracks. That's like thinking a book is better because it has more pages. I lost all interest in the band after that.

AAT65 and West44th like this.
  11. superjam144

Exile on Main St. and Sgt. Pepper's make it to the top ten of greatest albums of all time lists consistently for a reason. They were both genius level works, astonishing triumphs of the genre of rock n' roll..

Sgt. Peppers blew me away as a kid... Exile went completely over my head, but then I listened to it all the way through a couple times years later and realized that it was something really really special... There's good reason it almost always ranks #1... There is something really special about it... Not sure what exactly, might be the mixture of blues, rock, gospel, soul... Or the way it was recorded so nonchalantly... But for me, it is their tour de force, and sums up their entire existence as human beings... It's got so much soul and heart... Maybe it gives you that fly on the wall feeling, like you are in the room listening to these guys play together without much editing...

These 2 albums I will say are monumental works... I can't say enough about exile... Stripped down, heart and soul.. Gritty, timeless. Nothing like those school boy hits they had like honky tonk women and jumpin jack flash.... This was something different... You could listen to it for years and gather something new each time... More complex... None of that paint it black repetition that they were known for..

Sticky Fingers was amazing, but when it wore out for me and I found Exile, it felt like a step up for sure. Less novelty, more realness.

Sgt. Peppers was just like all the Beatles albums... way too good for this earth. RIP Lennon.

RodeoTex, Gevalt, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  12. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I was a fan of the 1st Crosby, Stills and Nash album. Bought CSN&Y's Deja Vu and was a fan again. Had Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and was a fan. Bought After The Gold Rush and remained a fan.
    Bought Harvest LP and hated it. Played it once and never played it again. Still have the original vinyl in pristine condition.
    Can't explain it.

13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Hmmmm, people told me I would like Bela Flek (with and without the Flektones). I bought Three Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, didn’t bond with that. Tried several other albums (used at this point...) and found he wasn’t my cup of tea. Amazing musician, and anyone who can hang with Victor Wooten has to be admired if only for that. But me listening to more than two of his songs in a row just ain’t happening.

OTOH, any number of albums/bands that others have mentioned here I like to really like. Taste...(maybe mine is all in my mouth....)

nojazzhere and Harry Styron like this.
  14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

He was trying to forestall a mutiny ... the sidemen were griping that they didn't get enough attention and creative opportunity. That's one of the reasons Tom quit. This is not first-hand knowledge, but from acquaintances I trust. If I'm wrong, I'll admit ignorance.

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

My wedding album was a bit of a let down............

gsdrgsxr, Rowdyman and SamIV like this.
  16. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Saw ZZ Top in Anaheim, about 1978 or so. White Trash opened for them ... I was there to see Johnny Winter. I wasn't even gonna stay, but after the first song, I was hooked. They sounded really good live. They morphed into something I'm not crazy about later on.

RobRiggs likes this.
  17. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

When my friend tried to convince me of Pink Floyd in my teen years (say 1977-78), I made so much fun of him and his Pink Floyd. I can now count myself as an unabashed admirer. While once I thought David Gilmour was the glue, I now know it's Roger Waters.

18. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

How about all of them?

getbent likes this.
  19. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

One great song (IMHO) on that album. Nobody Home.

20. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister

Patti Smith "Horses"

I could find the value in every "great" album until I heard "Horses". I gave it several tries, never got it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.