1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Albums that you bought because they were supposed to be good, and they weren't

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jan 13, 2021.

1. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think for me their "Get Behind Me Satan" was the most pissed off I had ever been about buying a CD. Rolling Stone magazine raved about it and the first couple of listens I was so mad like wth.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I love it, but the Dead are so hyper here!

Kind of ( trying too hard) wanting to be pop, bluesy, psychedelic all at the same time. But if you love the GD, ( like I do), you hear the potential that gets better, right here.

What's cool ( to me) is how many songs off this one, first album, would be staples ( decades, still) in their live shows.

Randypttt likes this.
  3. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

I am a beach boys fanatic and have been in a few beach boy cover bands and I have always been ehhh!! Not the album to end all albums.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Don't feel too isolated there... everyone regrets 'Fogerty's Revenge', including the band. Such a sad letdown, and sorry, but even Fogerty hasn't been the same since. They lost the mojo.

Gevalt likes this.
  5. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I bought a Charles Lloyd album once. There wasn't a moment on the d----d thing worth listening to.

6. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

Yep, Same here. I love the earlier Beach Boy stuff, but PS sounds like a cold, clinical cover of actual Beach Boys music, so incompetent it sounds at times like parody.

7. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

You should hear Barry Zito's....

getbent likes this.
  8. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

getbent likes this.
  9. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

There have been a few others I've thought of. I'm a lifelong diehard Paul Simon fan but I didn't really like So Beautiful or So What (2011) (to my ears, it sounded like Simon returning to composing on guitar a la singer-songwriters in order to cater to young hipsters who laud his self-titled debut album as better than Graceland or his Simon & Garfunkel work -- to each their own, I guess, but I always thought his self-titled debut album was also underwhelming and much preferred his work from Rhymin' Simon onwards) or, even more so, Stranger To Stranger (2016). I liked the remakes of some of his lesser known works on In The Blue Light (2018), though, and very much enjoyed seeing him on his farewell tour that year.

Argh. Stadium Arcadium. So much hype yet there was maybe 1-2 songs I liked on it (none of them were the singles). It was no Californication or By The Way for that matter. I was sad that Frusciante left a few years after that album/tour.

Come to think of it, there were a lot of semi-veteran rock bands releasing hyped-up new albums circa 2005-2006 that turned out to be very underwhelming. I didn't like Oasis' Don't Believe The Truth (despite a few awesome songs) compared to Heathen Chemistry, Coldplay's X&Y (definitely not up to par with their first two major-label albums -- I remember my volatile reaction when I put the CD on in my car), or Weezer's Make Believe. I remember not really liking the "rock" disc of the Foo Fighters' double album from that era either but I dug a couple of the songs on the "acoustic" disc (though those didn't really sound much like the Foo Fighters)

Which album was that? I bought Vanished Gardens by Charles Lloyd and The Marvels featuring Bill Frisell and Lucinda Williams a few years ago and didn't like it despite the accolades. I can't say I'm a fan of Williams -- some of her vocals on that album really put me off -- although, as always, I enjoyed hearing Frisell's fret work underneath Lloyd's sax and flute.

Gevalt likes this.
  10. LWS66

LWS66 TDPRI Member

A cd of 1968’s “Bang, Bang, You’re Terry Reid” by Terry Reid. Utter rubbish. The entire album is him wailing and screeching up and down seemingly just for the sake of that he could, gratuitously! Unlistenable really. I tossed it in the garbage can. Don’t believe me? Try his version of “Tinker Tailor” or if you’re feeling brave “Season Of The Witch”......after you’re done cleaning the blood from your ears and sides of your neck you’ll agree the trash is where it belongs

Attached Files:

teletail likes this.
  11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Wall...…it just disappointed me. I don't think anything could have lived up the expectation though.

Digital Larry likes this.
  12. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

<controversial>Or after Pablo Honey :p </controversial>

13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I'll probably get flak for this...

I was a pretty hard core rage against the machine fan as a young man... I found audioslave jarring and hard to listen to in comparison.

Gevalt likes this.
  14. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Maragold. Greg Howe is an amazing musician, a top notch guitarist. Meghan Krauss has a great voice. The rhythm section featured top notch playes, Gianluca Palmieri (drums) and bassist Kevin Vecchione. Together they were uninspiring. I tried to listen to it but it sounded forced and the songwriting was 'meh'. I've revisited it a couple of times and it never gets better.

15. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Last time I saw them was a few years ago with Jeff Beck on the bill. ZZ sounded so polished, then I noticed there were keyboards and I'm pretty sure another guitar track. They were playing to a backing track! Jeff was his improvisational self, no backing track could keep up with his live stuff.

Deathray and nojazzhere like this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

ummm, could my first wedding album count?

17. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I've made half-hearted attempts to listen to Pavement and Guided By Voices, but a lot of their albums just don't motivate me enough to dig in deeper. There's probably some great music there, but as I get older I feel closer and closer to the blank listening generation. My friend who recommended Pavement to me pretty much listens to opera these days so I suspect he's reached a similar saturation point.

18. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Too many to list. Can't say they weren't good, just fell really flat for my tastes.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway comes to mind.

19. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Reid's Tinker Tailor is awesome to these ears!

Who knows what Zeppelin would have become if Super Lungs had joined with Page? Less Tolkien content for sure.

LWS66 and getbent like this.
  20. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Anything by Pink Floyd. I was talked into buying DarK Side of the Moon when I was 18. I just didn’t get it.

GNR Use Your Illusion 1 and 2. Instead of picking about 10 good songs and making a great album, let’s pack every song we ever wrote and haven’t recorded into an overproduced 36 song double album.

West44th likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.