1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Albums that you bought because they were supposed to be good, and they weren't

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Jan 13, 2021.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

This is subjective obviously. But there are a few I can name that popular culture has insisted were works of art, or whatever, and I bought them. Then for a while I tried to convince myself that I thought they were good (because I just spend the $$ and didn't want to think I wasted it), but then finally resigned myself to the fact that they were a letdown.

* Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" (sounded like the same weird song over and over)
    * Nirvana "Unplugged" (uninspired performance with an out-of-tune guitar)
    * The Beatles "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" (weird for the purpose of being weird)

The Nirvana album in particular is praised to this day for being a great performance, but to my ears it sounds like the frontman was on.... well, duh I suppose. The honorable mention is the Alice In Chains "Unplugged" album, which is also widely praised by fans, but suffers from the same performance shortcomings as the Nirvana album. Likely for the same reason.

Geo, BrazHog, DrASATele and 1 other person like this.
  2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Derek & The Dominoes’ Layla — sorry, but the vocals and guitar tone on “I Looked Away” put me off, “Layla” is overplayed, although I do still like “Bell Bottom Blues” (although I prefer the ragged version on the Rainbow Concert album)

Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite “Stand Up” — I looked forward to this one since they’re both artists I highly regard and enjoy, but few if any of the songs stood out to me and I haven’t listened to it since the year it came out.

Johnny Moeller “Bloo-Ga-Loo” — I love Moeller’s guitar playing and there are moments on this album I like, but overall it was fairly underwhelming

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

A string of Depeche Mode albums post-Songs of Faith & Devotion. Ditto Metallica post-Justice. In both cases I've heard "this is the return-to-form album!" Nooope.

4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I'll post a big "Hell Yeah" on that one.
    Doodle-doodle jazz...

Gevalt, srblue5, Fretting out and 4 others like this.
  5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mike Zito Tribute to Chuck Berry.
    Stunk out loud!

buster poser likes this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I don't generally buy really popular albums. Back when I had roommates and we all listened to a lot of music I just depended on them to buy them all.

However, I used to subscribe to Audio magazine back in the late 70's and I bought a few LPs simply on the recommendation of reviews. Some of these were really good, e.g.

Shakti with John McLaughlin
    Dave Swarbrick (years later I discovered Fairport who a became faves)

Another one was Ry Cooder's "Jazz" which isn't a BAD album, but it's not really indicative of RC on the whole. I have not purchased this one on CD.

Richard and Linda Thompson "Shoot Out The Lights" - didn't like it at first (i.e. 5+ years) then I REALLY got into Richard Thompson, another fave.

Ron Carter's "Peg Leg" I did not get into at all.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sorry, I can't remember the last time I bought an album, sad to say. I stream everything....

Dereksys38, bgmacaw and thunderbyrd like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Well this is kind of a variation of the OP's theme,
    but two terrible albums I bought in say 1980 and 1981 were because in my head ( I'm 21 then) I'm thinking :

" The Allman Brothers are the best band I've ever heard, so these will be great!"

So I bought ( Arista records) The Allman Brothers " Reach For the Sky" and " Brothers of The Road" and these ( Keytar, Keetar!!!) are beyond bad.

I guess this was Arista's attempt to make ( by now dysfunctional) hitmakers out of the Allmans.

I bought both records and literally NEVER played more than 2-3 songs on each- I think I sampled each song for 10 seconds with my turntable tonearm...never touched again

9. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

J. Geils - Freeze Frame

Bostons -2nd -what was that called?

ZZTop - Eliminator and anything after

10. Chiogtr4x

Some of my guitar buddies are absolute Beatles nuts, and they just worship Sgt.Pepper- but I just like other albums much better.

- I love Miles Davis, earlier blues, ballads and bebop and Milestones and Kind of Blue.

But when I've heard both 'In a Silent Way' and ' Bithches Brew' ( as with these albums to me everything conventional, rhythmically and melodically are maybe inverted?), I always think " When are the intros gonna be over, and the music starts?"

Call it my small brain. ( I own both but just don't play them)

I do like both the Nirvana and Alice in Chains MTV/ Unplugged stuff though.
    Miss those guys!

11. Chiogtr4x

ZZ Top IMO just became a different band after Deguello- almost a parody of blues and themselves-sorry...

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, and two CD's worth. The liner notes read like it's a masterpiece that should be bowed-doen to.

13. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Bat Out of Hell.

Big_Ger, Gevalt, edvard and 8 others like this.
  14. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i know it's vilest heresy, but i've never cared about zz top at all. they always sounded like a parody to me.

15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

The Who - Live in Leeds
    This was supposed to make me appreciate them. Nope.

Gevalt, GGardner, pi and 2 others like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I certainly don't "worship" Sgt Peppers, although I like much of it......but (at least in my recollection) it was the beginning of The Beatles' forays into "novelty" songs. I guess, earlier, there were Ringo songs like Act Naturally and their like, but most songs were "serious" pop/rock songs. I don't dislike English music hall stuff, but IMHO Fixing A Hole or When I'm Sixty-four are better suited as drinking hall sing-a-longs. ;)

Masmus and Aftermath like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I saw ZZ Top long before they had a record deal, and they were truly a GOOD little blues band from Texas......but once they settled on their "formula" and "schtick", they lost me. And that's what I honestly believe it is....a "schtick".

Bassman8, thunderbyrd and Tony Forman like this.
  18. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Metallica "Master of Puppets" - not my kinda thing at all. Ended up just giving it away!

Gevalt, West44th, fjblair and 2 others like this.
  19. Aftermath

Aftermath TDPRI Member

I really like some of the songs on Sgt Peppers now, but for me their earlier stuff like A Hard Day's Night where they were all playing together and performing were much more special.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Gevalt, gmann, thunderbyrd and 2 others like this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Now wait a minute!!
    ( just kidding).

Do you like any Who stuff? Or just not a fan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.