Albums/artists friends got you into.

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
My friend Corby got me interested in: Richard Thompson, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Gram Parsons, Dillard and Clark, Marty Stuart, Clarence White and Fotheringay.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
In my late teens, a had a buddy who was constantly showing me his latest cool music: Velvet Underground, Spirit, Electric Flag, and many others. I could not figure out how he found this stuff- we were together all the time and had the same group of friends, etc., so how was he doing it? Turns out that his very cool older sister (about whom I fantasized many times), who had moved to California, was sending him this stuff. She had great taste.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
At 15, my friend Wayne (RIP) introduced me to Cheap Trick. We also watched the “launch” of MTV live at his house.

Around the same, my buddy Keith introduced me to Talking Heads, B52s, and Brian Eno. He had an older brother who had a kickass stereo and lived with a girl in their parents basement. The records belonged to the brother and we’d crank records while he was out working as an over-night stocker at the grocery store.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My friend and (great) guitarist/teacher Rene Best hipped my to Django Reinhardt when I was 18, in 1975.
Django kicked Peter Frampton right off my turntable.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
In my late teens, a had a buddy who was constantly showing me his latest cool music: Velvet Underground, Spirit, Electric Flag, and many others. I could not figure out how he found this stuff- we were together all the time and had the same group of friends, etc., so how was he doing it? Turns out that his very cool older sister (about whom I fantasized many times), who had moved to California, was sending him this stuff. She had great taste.
I had a friend like that. I suspect he got a lot of those bands through Artforum magazine.

Spox

Tele-Meister
When I was fourteen I found this in a friends record collection and it blew my mind whilst all that circle of friends including the guy who owned it hated it, he'd quite probably stolen it. This was the year after it was released and I still love it, forty years old in May there.