Albums/artists friends got you into.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I was thinking recently about albums and therefore bands which I got to know via friends.

When I was fourteen one of my best friends from school was an absolute Pink Floyd nut and through him I heard The Wall but he was going back the way to the Syd Barret era so through him I also heard Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and A Saucerful Of Secrets along with Meddle etc. Through his circle of friends I heard the Peter Gabriel melt album, Lynyrd Skynyrd Pronounced and one of the guys was a Rolling Stones nut so it was the Rolled Gold comp and Still Life live album. This is 1983, pre internet and cds, it was all vinyl or tapes. At the time of hearing these all I was really listening to was stuff like The Clash/Sex Pistols/The Jam.

It should be interesting to hear which bands other people got into this way.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Metallica
Guns n Roses
AC/DC
Bon Jovi
Depeche Mode
Man or Astroman?
SRV
The Cure
Iron Maiden
Suicidal Tendencies
Echo and the Bunnymen
Siouxie and the Banshees
The Dead Milkmen

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
"Thanks Fat Pat, for..."
hawkwind.jpg

kuch

Tele-Holic
I remember being "turned on" to "Kenny Loggins with Jim Messina Sitting In" by a high school buddy one night when we were cruising. I went out and scored the album the next day. Still on my oldies but goodies list......

Another one, same buddy, different day: "Black Sabbath"

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
When I was in high school I was watching TV and some news magazine show like 60 Minutes or 20/20 was on and they had a segment on Bob Dylan. My dad said "You should watch this, Dylan is someone you should know about."

Now my dad is a Republican businessman, he was a 'straight' in the '60s, he's about the last person I'd expect to be boosting Dylan. So I watched the segment. The next day at school I asked my friend Bill Turek if I could borrow one of his Dylan albums. He lent me "The Times They Are A-Changin'" and I never looked back.

I haven't seen Bill in more than 30 years but my dad's still with us, so thanks to both of them.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
Ironically, it happened the other way around just this morning. I received an email from an old high school buddy I haven't seen in over 35 years. He reminded me it was Ronnie Wood's b-day and thanked me for turning him on to "Gimme Some Neck" back in the 10th grade.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Back in the mists of time, it was usually the John Peel show on the radio, the Whistle Test on tv, or a friend (or often their older siblings) where new stuff was heard.