Albert Lee Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pickinpete, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Michaell

Michaell Tele-Holic

I may be " preachin to thew choir" but did you see him on that Crossroads video?

Sheryl Crowe's comment floors me!

2. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks, pickinpete!

I've been smiling just about all afternoon and evening after viewing this thread and some of the posts on this fine gent.

Good for whatever was bugging me, much obliged.

4. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

Agreed, good thread..thanks everybody.

5. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

+1 I have a 1994 Pinkburst Albert Lee Ernie Ball Musicman I never have problem with this masterclass guitar it is a work of art
    Ive talked to Albert and he loves both the Telecaster and the Musicman Albert Lee Guitars

Luxury Liner on Pinkburst first position bridge :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q40qPf9v6BE&feature=related

My Baby Thinks Hes a Train
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c83ppe-Jakc&feature=related :cool:
    Let it Rock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQnZ0Bu7Zo
    Number 2 position
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK8estjfQV0&feature=related

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  6. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

7. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

Looks like a Peavey combo amp with an effects rack on top to me....sounds great no matter what it is!

8. lennyb

lennyb Tele-Meister

Yah he was Playing through the pevey stuff now hes back to the older Fender Amps ...good to see!

9. bluesmannepa

bluesmannepa TDPRI Member

I think Albert Lee, along with so many greats who are linked to a certain guitar, maybe has gone to a different ax to look for new inspirations in his sound and style. The last time I saw Roy Buchanan (shortly before his death) he was playing a strat-shaped ax with humbuckers...not what I was accustomed to seeing. And it was a totally different sound than the Tele/Vibrolux thing, but still Roy.

10. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

I've had my Albert Lee MM for about 8 yrs. now. I saw Albert many years ago with the Everlys and when I saw the guitar I had to find out what it was. This was way before they were in production. I believe the early versions had a catylalized lacquer finish on the neck (whatever that is), and due to the expense of installing the proper environmental systems in California, MM switched to the oil/wax finish. I love my guitar except for this feature. The neck does require more frequent adjustments , (as stated on their website) and gets dirty too easily. The pickups are proprietary Duncan Alnico 2's with a copper plate under the bridge pickup. Very Telecaster when used alone. Believe it or not, that odd shape (that I love) feels very familier and Tele-like to me. I guess it feels pretty good to Albert too.

11. duanesworld

duanesworld TDPRI Member

how bout this one. I believe its a 59 that clapton gave him.[​IMG]

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Back when I had fewer guitars and had the freedom to be shopping harder, I kept heading from my folks' house down the road 40 minutes to the MM plant on the South side of San Luis Obispo. I understood if I got lucky I might score a cosmetic second very low in price bought directly if I were lucky. Obviously this is the non-shredder model, the one to go to, but I kept chickening out because I could not visualize myself playing this body style and liking the visual aspect.

I ended up over at the ocean instead.

13. Big John

Big John RIP

Glad someone else said it !!, i guess you just have to be a wiry little thing to get away with it but i think they are fabulous guitars, all this 'quack' talk, they do a whole lot more than just quack, especially in Alberts hands.

Wiry little runt !!, give him a J200 ! :lol: :lol:

14. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

See if you can get your hands on "Payola Blues" off the Road Runner
    Disc. One of Albert's best, IMO.

15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Back in 1998, on a visit to Nashville, being a Silhouette owner already I checked out the MM Albert Lee model at Thoroughbred Music (now a Sam Ash store). I was surprised to find that I wasn't greatly impressed with it; it was OK-ish but, to me, nothing particularly special.

However, while I was there I tried a secondhand no-name Strat that turned out to be by DiMarzio, albeit at the time with three stacked Seymours. Incredibly slim neck. The instant I plugged it in and played about a note and a half I was hooked, so I bought it there and then for what by UK standards was a ridiculously low price and, with the pickups upgraded to Kinman Trad Mk IIs, it's still one of my very favourite guitars to this day.

I bet Albert would love it...:D

16. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

17. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm not a big Strat fan (I have two and a G&L Legacy Deluxe), but have a fair number (9 or 10 last count?) Teles, Suhrs, RCG, and ASATs of various types.

I have two of the EBMM Albert Lee Signature guitars, one with the regular single coils and one with the MM90 pups, and the guys in my country band say that the one with the MM90s is their favorite of all my guitars, Teles and Strats and ASATs and all, it has a fat twang on the bridge pup you gotta hear to believe. I read somewhere that a metal plate was attached to the bridge pup specifically to provide the extra twang a la the bridge plate of a Tele. I have to open it up and check it out, I suppose. But whatever - it can twang, too, folks!:!:

I'm a big fan of Albert and I agree I preferred the twang to the quack but dang he can play. I have his videos (all of them) - holy cow! I suppose Albert just plain likes the quack sound, which is also there in the MM90 but sounds a bit different. Me, I prefer the bridge or neck pup when I play, don't use the middle or quack settings much.:rolleyes:

BTW - for the guy who said the unfinished neck is sticky - did you ever actually try one? The unfinished neck is NOT sticky at ALL - matter of fact IMHO it is MUCH better than the vintage gloss, which does get sticky when playing under hot lights and your hands sweat, like mine do. The raw wood stays nice and dry and plays faster 'n heck! True you do have to occasionally tweak it, but I do all my setup work so it's all a labor of love for me, and I live in CA where the climate is fairly constant so its not so much of an issue. In a state with wider climate variations I can see it might be a little more annoying...;)

18. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Last time I saw ALbert King Live was 1982 when he was the rhythym guitar player on tour with Clapton. That's right Mr. King toured America with CLapton in the early 80's as his Rhthym player for the follow up to Clapton Fast Cars and cigarettes album or whatever it was called. You know the "I get off on 57 Chevy's" record. It was cool seeing Clapton and King together with Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  19. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Albert King? :confused:

20. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Oh no, he got mixed up with the names, surely you mean King Albert. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.