1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Albert Lee Picking Technique Analyzed

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Vanzant, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This video analyzing Albert Lee's picking technique is pretty interesting. It would be neat to have one of those cameras to analyze one's own picking technique for comparison.

I always pick with one of the rounded edges of the pick, because the pointy edge is too much pick...Also, I only use a two finger grip on the pick.

Anyone here use a three finger grip on the pick?

Anyhow, enjoy...

Scrapperz likes this.
  2. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Nice video thanks for posting

3. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

For the most part, no! But when I am emulating Albert Lee I certainly do. This is something I learned he did long ago (30 years back) and it is amazing the difference when you grip with 3 fingers instead of two.

Although I never give things like this any type of thought, this is an interesting video. Thanks for posting.

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

This is interesting. If by 3 finger grip you mean thumb and fingers 1 and 2, then yes, this is what I naturally gravitate to for flat picking. I guess I got in the habit when I first started because it was easier to hold on to the pick for me than by using only the thumb and first finger. But when I go to hybrid picking I ditch this and use only thumb and finger 1 to hold the pick so I can pluck with fingers 2 and 3 and sometimes 4. I had no idea others held the pick with thumb and first two fingers but it looks like that's what Albert is doing and Steve Morse too. What do you know, I used to think of it as somewhat of a crutch. Dang!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  5. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

My understanding is that evh also uses a 3 finger grip.

6. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

He seems to use a pretty light gauge pick.

7. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

Actually i think it's just that he's not holding the pick very tightly. That's one advantage of the three finger grip. It's kinda wedged in there so he doesn't need to apply much pressure. A good golf grip works the same way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.