Albert, first ballot HOF

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Preacher, May 6, 2021.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My favorite Cardinal of all time was just released by the Angels.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...of-famer-albert-pujols/ar-BB1gqYkM?li=BBnb7Kz

Although Albert signed a 10 year deal to go play for the Angels after his time with the Cardinals he will still always be my favorite Cardinal that I have had the pleasure of watching in person.

When he signed with the Angels I knew he was on a decline but I still wished he had played another five or six years in St. Louis.

I hope the Cardinals sign him for a day so he can retire a Red Bird.

Chip, Tyuk, dented and 4 others like this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

An amazing player.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

First round for sure. I like the idea of the Cardinals signing him again.

Tyuk likes this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I was disappointed that they let him go like that. No class whatsoever. They said he was upsetting the apple cart about play time. So what, they are in last place and a huge weekend series with the Dodgers coming. So many reasons to just keep him for the rest of the year. Still have to pay him. Maybe he said phogue and wanted out. I've met Arte, he signed my glove, and he never seemed like a knowledgeable baseball guy. Bring back the Cowboy! lol I am not an Angels fan but I thought that move was bad for them. Albert will always be way up that list of excellent ball players and he will live on in the HOF.

5. Tyuk

Tyuk TDPRI Member

St. Louis is my NL team because of Pujols. If he’s not elected in the first round, I’ll lose faith in the voting process TBH.

AL team is Boston (because of Nomar) so the 2013 World Series was win-win for me lol.

6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

7. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Yeah, first ballot HOF. Don't even need to call the roll on that one. Great player. Consistency, power, intangibles, played some excellent defense early on, kind of had it all. He sure struggled at the end but age and injuries do that to just about everyone.

Also love that I have never heard a single bad thing about the guy. Ever. All the stories about him being great to young players and fans and so on, you heard that stuff nonstop. I know the media loves to play that stuff up and a lot of the time it's blown out of proportion, but the sheer volume of it with Pujols makes me think his case is based on something real. I don't know if I can remember another player who was as beloved, at least not among the current generation of players.

8. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Great swing, great player, great man. #5

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite memories. That swing was F L U I D.

swervinbob likes this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Man I understand why the Angels are doing what they are doing. They have a young stud first baseman who is a better glove than Albert right now. And Albert is hitting below .200 for the year so even hitting him as DH with Otani there is not an option.

He is in the last year of his ten year deal (which was a reach for the Halo's when they signed him, but remember this was back when no one cared about the Los Angles Angels of Anaheim, Irvine and the greater southern California area) so there is little financial reason to keep him sitting the bench. Assigning him was the best option for both parties, they get to play the young guys, and Albert gets to go play somewhere else or retire if the league is not interested.

dented and buster poser like this.
  11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Had this to say yesterday:
    And saw this earlier on twitter:

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1390364912686403601?s=20

Just a vid of him taking off and signing his jersey to give to a young fan with Down syndrome, then signing the kid's own Pujols jersey.

This stuff matters to me. Good dude.

upload_2021-5-7_9-54-29.png

Chip likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.