Alaska too cool

Discussion in 'US Member Clubs' started by Edwin, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I'm feeling like an outcast. Are there any others

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Attached Files:

3. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Is that a Blackstar quote? I guess I represent the whole state, wow that covers a lot of territory.

4. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

There are others. I lived up there for 10 years as a kid. My family moved up there before I turned a year old. I miss it terribly to this day. I still feel like an Alaskan.

5. Whirly

Whirly TDPRI Member

It's 70 and clear here in Juneau today. Goin on a picnic, taking a guitar.

6. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Went to Alaska in July '04. My boss wanted to take his dream trip of a lifetime. He was a double amputee(legs) and confined to a wheelchair,74 years young. He asked me to go to assist in moving him around. Needless to say I jumped at the chance. Also along was his secretary, two lady caregivers,the man I manage, and another friend of mine. Everybody's spouse was also included.
    Now the good part. The boss charters a Gulfstream 4 to fly us all nonstop from Burlington VT to Juneau AK. Six hours flat. We catch a shuttle to the docks where we board the MV Revelation, the largest yacht charter in all of Southeast AK. 180 feet long,crew of 13 including chef and Naturalist. We
    did a ten day tour! The trip finally ends in Sitka where we overnight.
    The next day we fly in the Gulfstream (yeah it stayed in AK for the entire 2 weeks) over to Kodiak Island,swap planes, this time a 1949 DC-3 Super-Air. We land on a dirt strip and transfer into aluminum boats for a 12 mile boat ride to Zachar Bay Lodge. We spent 4 days there. We did floatplane fly outs to the Frazier Lake fish ladder for Brown bear viewing. Also Bay tours to see seals,birds,and more bears! Did some halibut fishing too!
    Finally back on the Gulfstream and back home.
    Trip of a lifetime is an understatement. I had a $600 bill to get all my photos printed!

I'd go back in a heartbeat, given the chance.

The boss passed away the following year. Not before his trip of a lifetime though!

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I'm a transplant from Montana and I thought the Rockies were a big mountain range and the moose and grizzly's were also big.

The mountains here go straight up out of the ground almost cliff like and the moose and bears seem like their on steroids.

The dumpsters around here are about 5' tall and I've seen a bear towering at least 6' above that right out side my bedroom window. I'm glad they aren't aggressive.

Sorry to hear about your boss. Sounds like you were close.

RodeoTex likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm a bonehead.:oops:
    I lived in (beautiful) BC for ten years, and I never
    went to Alaska.
    My Pop was stationed (USAF) in King Salmon, and told me great
    fishing and wildlife stories.
    We, the family couldn't go, it was a "remote", and there was no
    family housing in 1968.
    Oh well.
    Maybe when I grow up!:lol:

9. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Nice words Edwin. Was very close to the boss. Here is a shot of our group. The boat is nosed up close to one of the hundreds of waterfalls we saw.

image-1553790610.jpg

Your right about the mountains rising straight up. Our ships captain said the water depth under the ship was 900 feet here at this very spot!
    That's me in the red at the far left of the photo.

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. afteryou

afteryou Tele-Meister

Hot and sunny finally. It's been a rough spring here. :D If it wasn't for the plentiful work I'd be saying adios to those damed mountains, strait up akkk!

11. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

My brother lived there for many years, nephew was born there.

He loved it.

12. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I've felt the cold wind coming off the glacier in Palmer at 90 MPH in February. Currently I live on the big island so seeing the sun lately is a bonus. Folks around here wonder what is that big ball of fire in the sky hahaha.

13. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Lived here since 1973..came up after college..was offered a job in Anchorage and said "why not"...I either like it or I am too stupid to leave.

For most of the time I lived in Anchorage , but lived in Kodiak and Fairbanks as well. Married two Alaska girls...not at the same time...and have inlaws, kids, step kids and grand kids all over the state...

It was almost 90 degrees yesterday...sort of gets twilight about 1 am this time of year so were getting our hot sun... a banner year for mosquitos...theres not a can of cutters to be found and the bugs are about the size of robins...I've been driving around with my car windows open listening to the Dead live at West High School June 19-21, 1980. I was there for the solstice show on 6/21/80...shake it sugaree!

This weeked is the solstice and after thats its downhill until winter...and the heat wave will break and we will be back to 60 degrees and rain...

RodeoTex likes this.
  14. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Big Island= Kodiak, I bet.....

I love Kodiak..I sowed a few wild oats there ~1977. Worked downtown near the harbor, on the water.....whales in the channel between KDK and Near Island, and eagles feasting on the cannery discards...college girls looking for adventure...I ran around a bit with a guy from Canada with a sailboat who had me sneak him into the American Legion bar room..and neither of us were members...but no one really cared...you dont want to drink saki and then sail on the Tustemena in February...and dont ask me how I know that...

I dealt with alot of folks in the lower 48 who had no idea where I was, and they insisted that I do thinks that were impractical if not impossible in Kodiak...one guy....a lower level upper management guy for a big insurance company...after I gave him a detailed geography lesson...declared "You're closer to Russia then you are to me!" like he was totally surprised...yup....

15. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Well, this needs a bump! I love livin' and playin' in Alaska!!!!! Grew up here, spent 6 years in the Army and came right back. Would not live anywhere else!!

telestratosonic likes this.
  16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

It's absolutely beautiful country, with the best summers of any place I've ever been :).

That's saying a lot, because I've traveled the U.S. from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific coast, and from Key West to the north slope of the Brooks Range.

I lived in AK. from the mid-seventies to the early nintys.
    Built our home and lived in South-Central, in Nikiski as a matter of fact, right on a beautiful lake.
    I got torn away from there piece-by-piece.

Sometimes family takes precedence over every thing else.

g

17. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Eight Stars of Gold on a Field of Blue! My dad was in the air force stationed at Ellison AFB outside of Fairbanks. I went to high school (Austin E. Lathrop) 63-66 in Fairbanks and was planning to go to the UA in Fairbanks but Uncle Sam had different plans for me so I joined the Navy in 66. It was truly the Last Frontier back in those days. Why you could go about 100 miles North of Fairbanks in the summer (just a little north of Eagle Summit) and it was so eerie quiet you could almost hear the blood running through your veins.

Thirsty, no problem just find a stream, pond, slough and drink to your hearts content.

While I haven't been back since leaving for the navy, the memories of those 4+ years remain with me. Saw it -78 degrees F on one occasion and dang the school bus still showed up - don't remember the school ever closing for a weather related event.

If my High School class has a 55th reunion I plan to attend since I missed the 40th and 50th.

As for the March 27th 1964 earthquake, I was at the high school getting ready for a play as a member of the stagecraft team (the high school was also Fairbanks Civil Auditorium). When we got outside the ground was heaving and with it being snow covered look like the surface of a lake on a windy day!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.