1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alaska piks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dano-caster, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Anyone using these.I'm trying to get the hang of them but they don't like to hang on to me.I like to finger pick but my nails are all brittle and jagged this time of year so I'm trying these out.Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Need pics of pik picks.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I have pix of all over AK, having lived the 70 years...

4. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Is that your float plane?

dogmeat and That Cal Webway like this.
  5. Tele907

Tele907 TDPRI Member

I'm in Alaska too, but only 55 years less than you. :lol:

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They're cool.
    They take a little getting used to.
    Brilliant design!

John Backlund likes this.
  7. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been using them exclusively for over a decade. I don't know what a flat pick is anymore. I do wish they would offer them in a clear plastic rather than that kinda creepy 'flesh tone' though.

I guess I don't have any real advice to offer, other than to, if you can, just get used to them.

Well, I guess this might help. You'll need to retain enough natural nail length so that the Alaska pick can more or less securely situate itself beneath the edge of your natural nail. It also helps, just before 'installing' the Alaska pick, to slobber a little spit into the area the pick will occupy on your finger, then blow on it for a second or so, just enough to half-dry it to a kind of tackiness, then put the pick on. It sounds weird, and maybe a little gross, but it will help the pick's grip on your finger, for a while at least.

If you get one of those nasty little hangnails on the skin beside the nail, the picks will hurt like hell when scraping it over the sore spot when putting them in or removing them.

I think they come in three sizes, small, medium, and large (duh!). I use the large ones mostly, but sometimes a medium, which are a bit too tight on me, but they do stay on pretty good.

It's a constant battle for me to 'repair' cracked and/or snagged natural nails on my picking hand in order to maintain enough length to securely hold the picks on. I'm always brushing super glue and/or nail hardener on some crack or snag that threatens to end my fingerpicking for a week or two if I let it go.
    IMG_20210301_112951601.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Dano-caster and blowtorch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.