1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Alamo Montclair Reverb Schematic?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Faceman, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

I have an early 70s Montclair Reverb in need of repair and cannot find a schematic. This one has the solid state preamp and rectifier. 2x 6V6 1x 12AX7.

Anyone have one they could share?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck with that search, Faceman. I have two Alamo amps....all tube....for which there are no schematics known to be available. I have a friend who knows a fellow down south in San Antonio who says he bought the contents of the Alamo [email protected] when it shut down. It is all stor3dm8n a railroad car supposedly. I asked my friend to get in touch with him to see if there is a cache of schematics there...but I have not heard back...and I don%to hold out much hope. I got the 1966 Alamo Fury completely correct without the schematic, it is such ann8nterest8ng that I drew up the schematic...interesting the section. The older Paragon is ‘working’, but the 5 button tone section and the tremolo are not functioning. It is beyond a rat’s nest of a build, so that one will wait for another time to go back to the bench. I am not looking forward to tackling those two problems. Here is a picture of the two with some friends. The Furynis the 1x15 combo to the left while the Md. 6 Paragon is the 1x15 in the birch play Amp cab.

4474BA2F-069D-49D2-BF64-6AF62EB29672.jpeg

3. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

A couple years ago a local musician asked me to take a look at her Alamo Montclair Reverb. Hers was tube rectified and ultimately we discovered it was just a bad rectifier tube, But while hunting around for clues I downloaded this from who-knows-where. Sorry the resolution is so low and the photo unclear, but maybe you will be able to glean something from it.

Alamo_Montclair_Reverb_2565.jpg

Faceman and Wally like this.
  4. Wally

56B49A32-50CC-440D-A279-BB756AC7F7D1.jpeg Good luck with that search, Faceman. I have two Alamo amps....all tube....for which there are no schematics known to be available. I have a friend who knows a fellow down south in San Antonio who says he bought the contents of the Alamo [email protected] when it shut down. It is all stor3dm8n a railroad car supposedly. I asked my friend to get in touch with him to see if there is a cache of schematics there...but I have not heard back...and I don%to hold out much hope. I got the 1966 Alamo Fury completely correct without the schematic, it is such ann8nterest8ng that I drew up the schematic...interesting the section. The older Paragon is ‘working’, but the 5 button tone section and the tremolo are not functioning. It is beyond a rat’s nest of a build, so that one will wait for another time to go back to the bench. I am not looking forward to tackling those two problems. Here is a picture of the two with some friends. The Furynis the 1x15 combo to the left while the Md. 6 Paragon is the 1x15 in the birch play Amp cab.

5. Wally

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Checked at our old friend,

Schematic Heaven.

https://schematicheaven.net/

Unfortunately their Montclair schematic is the all tube version shown above.

I reckon the late Montclair and the late Futura are similar. The Futura is beyond a Poor Man's Deluxe Reverb with a few transistors in its preamp and 7868 tubes. More like a homeless guy's ultra low buck pseudo Fender. Surely the late Montclair is a few transistors, a 12AX7 and a couple 6V6s. It ain't a super computer. Anyone who knows their way around guitar amps should be able to figure it out.

Someone who doesn't know their way around guitar amps could pop a couple vintage transistors pretty easily.

Does it show any signs of life at all?

Does it blow fuses?

Wally likes this.
  7. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Thanks guys.

The amp works but has some hissing and static which to me, points to a resistor potentially. So far I’ve replaced most of the electrolytics with the exceptional the cap can which I will do. There isn’t any hum really. Just hiss and static. The output seems a bit low as well.

Wally- first, I love your collection there. Very nice!

I saw that schematic and worked on it in PowerPoint to “clean” it up a bit. I can get it pretty close to readable but most of the values are difficult to make out. I guess I will just have to manually add the values by counting rings and colors...[emoji30]

Wally likes this.
  8. Wally

The schematic for the hybrid Montclair that snfoilhat gives us appears very readable to me.

9. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Yes it does. His is quite a bit clearer than the one that I found that looks like that pic. I just assumed it was from the same source but I can work with that. Thanks for prompting a second look!

Wally likes this.
  10. Faceman

Faceman Tele-Meister

Thanks a lot Snfoilhat!

Snfoilhat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.