Al DiMeola

4string

Friend of Leo's
I was lucky enough to see RTF back in the late seventies. I went to check out Stanley Clarke, and left with the whole band making me feel like what’s the use? While the technicality was so beyond my comprehension, I was just blown away by the shear magnitude of the band.

I also left with the impression that Al was the diamond in that treasure chest. I have all his albums from the early eighties, and I have had the opportunity to see him live as the ADM band. The most notable was around ‘95 or 6 at a very small venue in Palo Alto CA. His music is mesmerizing. I usually don’t have a thought in my mind but just watch and listen in awe of his ability.

edit: I also cracked up after reading a comment to one of his videos “Al is who Santana would be if he practiced more” 😂

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Love one of his 80s releases, Kiss My Axe. I remember Skunk Baxter stating at the time, that there are 3 types of people who play guitar. Guitar enthusiasts, guitar players & guitarists. Al is one of the best of the latter.
Heard him live in the "Return to Forever" days when I was about 16 and thought Black Sabbath ruled. I knew there was something I was supposed to like about Al, but, secretly, it wasn't happening.

I need to try again.

UPDATE: Refreshed my memory. Hey, we can't like everything.

Last edited:

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have not listened to a ton of his stuff, but the "Tour De Force" live album is just breathtaking from start to finish. Absolutely amazing. It was regularly on my turntable for years.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I can't argue with his chops, but I don't find his music particularly inspiring. Somewhat derivative, lots of noodling in phrygian mode.
Pat Metheney is a counter-example of someone who is truly original and has a lot of interesting, creative ideas that go in many directions. Not that I'm a huge Pat Metheney fan, personally, but just making the point. Lots of virtuoso players out there, but many of them don't have a lot of original things to say when it comes to writing music.