AITA? Guests coming for 4 days, and one day before arrival tell me so is their dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
A dog! Hurray!

Who complains about a dog coming to visit?!

The fact the hag has a dog gives her quite a few extra credit points!

Lighten up! Go buy some toys and treats...there's a dog coming to visit!

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
Absolutely not the AH. Your house, they're staying (for free, no less). so it would be really presumptuous of them to just assume the dog could come along. In fact, the wife coming isn't a big deal, but he shouldn't have assumed it was OK to have her along without at least asking you first.

Good thing you like this guy.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
A dog! Hurray!

Who complains about a dog coming to visit?!

The fact the hag has a dog gives her quite a few extra credit points!

Lighten up! Go buy some toys and treats...there's a dog coming to visit!
Someone who has a dog already, maybe an older one or just not social? Someone who is allergic to dogs? Incredibly inconsiderate

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Four nights is “You’re going to be more comfortable in a hotel” territory.
I bet if you find them a nice kennel/ doggy boarding place, they’ll make other arrangements…
“We’re kind of dealing with some stuff here” covers a lot of ground. They don’t need to know that the “Stuff” means his wife’s unwelcomeness.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Someone who has a dog already, maybe an older one or just not social? Someone who is allergic to dogs? Incredibly inconsiderate

My post most mostly in jest...but not entirely!

The OP's post illustrates that people are WAY more troublesome than dogs! The issue is wifey.

You can leave the dog but take wifey to the Motel 6!

ozcal

Tele-Afflicted
i would have done the same thing...

we don t have dogs... have had in the past but not at the moment...

people around this area p1ss me off with their dogs... all over the mtb trails and xc ski trails, no control, poop everywhere...

NOT EVERYONE LOVES YOUR DOG AS MUCH AS YOU DO...

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
My post most mostly in jest...but not entirely!

The OP's post illustrates that people are WAY more troublesome than dogs! The issue is wifey.

You can leave the dog but take wifey to the Motel 6!
;) I shoulda figgered, but agree, the drinking incident more than the dog would have them finding a hotel for me. I've lifetime-banned friends out of my circle for stuff like this.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
So I know this isn’t Reddit but I feel like asking if anyone thinks I am the A/H in this situation.

Months ago my college buddy tells me he’ll be in town this week for a company meeting, and asks if he can stay with me over the weekend. I say of course, as I love the guy and we’ve been close for many many years.

But I do not care for his second wife. They stayed here once, and it was a debacle. I had a barbecue with lots of friends over while they were here, she got roaring drunk and insulted everyone and acted like a complete @ss, and broke one of my nicest wine glasses and lit (and left) candles burning in the guest room during peak fire season not long after I almost had my house burn down in a wildfire. And that was just one particular day. His kid (from his late wife), who I am very close with, can’t stand her and has pretty much severed her relationship with her dad. And to be clear, the new wife is also fairly objectionable when sober.

So that’s the history. I didn’t know that she would be coming with him on this trip until last week, though I guess I always knew it was a possibility. I figured I would just suck it up and put up with her since it’s his wife and all that. I would be a hospitable host.

They are scheduled to arrive tomorrow and stay for four nights. But tonight he tells me she is driving down tomorrow so she can bring her dog with here. To my home. For four nights. I had never imagined this was on the agenda.

I love dogs and cats but I have have no pets and I want no pets. And I don’t want any pets in my house, even for a short time, since, as they say, sh*t happens. Lots of other things happen too. Dogs in new surroundings are known to mark territory. And I don’t want any such things happening in my house, where I have collected a lot of nice furnishings and frankly don’t want any pet mess of any kind, or even any pet hair. I know it won’t kill me, and lots of stuff can be cleaned up, but that’s just how I like to keep my house.

They knew months ago they would be coming, but only tell me the night before that they will be bringing her dog? To me, that is just wrong for any guest to do.

So I decided I would not put up with it, as I would be pissed off at her the whole time for taking advantage of me in this way if they stayed with the dog. Especially given how she acted he last time she was here. And I would not be able to relax and enjoy their visit. So I told him to have her find someplace else for the dog to stay while they are here, like with one of her kids or friends near their home.

I was really going to try to give her a second chance and treat her with hospitality despite the debcale of her prior visit, which was years ago. But telling me only the night before she was bringing a dog when they could have asked if it were ok months ago, well, that’s a non starter. And actually, I was just informed they would be bringing a dog, it wasn’t even phrased to ask if it were OK.

I guess you could say it got my dander up (pun intended). Is it ok for guests to do this and not ask in advance? AITA? I think not.

(Hmmm, maybe I should tell him to bring the dog and leave her home. But, shucks, that option sadly isn’t available)

rdjones

Tele-Holic
So I know this isn’t Reddit but I feel like asking if anyone thinks I am the A/H in this situation.

Months ago my college buddy tells me he’ll be in town this week for a company meeting, and asks if he can stay with me over the weekend. . . . .
All of the numerous company meetings that I have attended (that involved travel) included accommodations arranged outright or covered on expense account.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
All of the numerous company meetings that I have attended (that involved travel) included accommodations arranged outright or covered on expense account.
The company did pay for his accommodations. The company event ended last night. He is staying in town through the weekend, which is after the company event. Hence his asking to stay with me. Which, normally, is fine with me.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This is covered under my life's philosophy. If someone is going to have to feel bad in any situation, I'd just as soon it would be anyone but me.

First your friend is not your friend, or he would not put you in this situation. Even if by some stretch you still call him your friend, and he chooses to do this, he's too stupid to have even a causal relationship with and is certainly not worthy of sharing your home for fifteen minutes let alone four days.

Second, you don't just announce you are bringing your dog with you if you are an invited guest. It just isn't done, period.

Solution:

Call the guy and tell him you are insulted by the whole situation he's proposing, you really don't want him, his wife, or his dog to step foot inside your home. You withdraw your invitation and offer no options.

BELIEVE me. However bad you feel after the phone call will pale in comparison to how you feel if you go through with allowing this bunch of pigs to occupy your home for four days.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Completely understandable

It’s okay if you say “come on over it’s okay to bring a dog” it’s just rude if someone comes over saying “by the way I’m bringing my dog with me” without asking if you are dog friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.