Airport weirdness

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 23, 2019.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas TDPRI Member

i'm fine with actual veterans who require a dog that has been extensively and professionally trained but there are a lot of looney tunes out there who are playing "me too i wanna have one too" bringing animals into airports that have no legitimate reason to be there. this leads to headlines like one i saw recently where a woman was attacked and badly injured by an animal.

and by saying "looney tunes," i am not making light of people who suffer from actual mental illnesses. i'm referring to people (of all ages, sad to say) whose vastly inflated self importance dictates that all exceptions to rules must naturally be afforded to them, whether deserved or not. in their own minds, they are near-celebrities. they will talk your ear off about mundane details of their life ( at an airport bar, for example, haha ).

for some of these folks, the dog might possess a higher IQ than its owner.

and wow. just reading the 2nd part of your post where people need to bring their personal bed effects from home? gross. i'm glad my parents raised me to have a sense of shame.

and one more thing. if you're a man. learn to sleep on a floor using your jacket as a pillow.

P Thought, getbent and studio1087 like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm flying to Edmonton this weekend to go to the Eskimos/Roughriders football game. Which side do I support -- a clue.

[​IMG]

Anyhowdy, I will take the trip as an experiment in the flying experience and report back.

I do feel lucky that our local airport is tiny. Since we won't be checking luggage, we can go from the parking lot to the flight gate in less than ten minutes. Woo-hoo!

getbent likes this.
  3. tamer_of_banthas

i'm definitely one of those people. scotch and sleeping pills. or the "Heather Ledger Diet" as i like to call it.

i do this for long flights. 15 hours trapped in a metal tube is no joke. i'm not afraid of flying, but i certainly don't enjoy the auxiliary activities that come packaged with it. the landing, take-off, turbulence stuff really don't bother me. although i will admit that being ripped out of a plane mid-flight during a catastrophic incident would be a pretty horrific way to die. does anyone else remember that scene from Fight Club? haha

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

The commercial where the guy with the rugged good looks climbs up his folding stair tailgate, and looks out over the masses carrying their tailgates as they look humbly up at him, as a beacon of what a guy with a tailgate should be, is.....

bender66 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

1st thing I taught my step-son when he wanted to learn how to drive. Before he ever sat behind the wheel.

RYAN1987M and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

At the grocery store in a city near you. Crap clean up on aisle seven, crap clean up on aisle seven. Pause, crap clean up on aisle nine, eleven and thirteen. Thank you for shopping with us today, and be mindful of where you step, especially over by the meat counter.

Ivorytooth and nojazzhere like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We used to assume, that the narcissists were concentrated at the top. I don't find this to be true anymore. At this point, those who choose to be uneducated, who choose self destructive habits and lifestyles, who would rather work for slave drivers than try to go it on their own, these are the New Narcissists. Yes, you can work at the local market or Home Depot and be one. There's retail places (where the most productive people changed occupations a long time ago) where the manager is presented with a Flash Mob of employees who come in like a wave, all of them not giving a darn at all - does he just fire all of them at once and if so, how do you do that? How do you ensure that the next batch won't be worse? Drug addiction is an outward manifestation of Narcissism. People who have the utmost care for their parent, their family, their church and community, find ways to resist this. There's a whole slew of new titles of books I try to read - some people don't read any of it. None. We expect our personal devices to do everything (including critical thinking) for us, and because it appears it "obeys" us, we feel giddy with self importance. Further education, some on most every day? Perish the thought.

Which is so weird, since we as a society owe more to others around us today, than we ever have.

P Thought and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Makes me want to just light up an "emotional support" cigarette on my next flight...and I don't even smoke.

Controller, stevemc and aerhed like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

My young son is a licensed professional engineer, recently he thanked me for making him become self sufficient in taking care of his first car as a teenager. He said that having to do things for himself, had enabled him to tackle even gutting and refurbishing more than one house he has bought to offer as rentals, to insure he has an income when he retires.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

You've restore my faith in humanity FenderGyrl! Thank you, thank you so much! :)

Toto'sDad, FenderGyrl and tery like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I know it's just the way it is, but that little thing that you flop over in the shopping cart at the store. It's home to not only kid's butts, but that of many a little foo foo dog wrapped up in a service blanket. Toto was my beloved friend, and I enjoyed every moment we spent together, but he was my friend, not the folks down at the grocery store's friend. I would never have taken him to places like that. Not that he didn't have every right to be there, since he was after all a little human dressed up in a dog suit, but to the world he looked like a dog. So, I just wouldn't have done it.

stevemc and nojazzhere like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

I hear you.

I'm thinking about the animals and their welfare.

A professionally selected and trained service dog is as fully accustomed to the demands and strain associated with the work they do, as a dog can be.

Because it is hard work and it isn't something just any animal can manage. And the animals that do it well are prepared - elaborate preparations. Many here may have noticed how short a work life many of these animals have.

+

In a nutshell, I am saying the joke people who show up with a random "comfort animal" are being cruel to "their" animals. These animals were never selected for an ability to do this when many animals would suffer great stress. And they're not conditioned or trained in any meaningful way. I've had dogs that hated traveling, and had one of these clowns somehow grabbed the animal before I could and subjected it to the torture (of that dog) of air travel, how am I supposed to stand by and witness this with my own eyes?

We keep talking about the inconvenience to the general public. What about what's happening to the animals? We're witnessing abuse of the animal, right there on the plane.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

i don’t think that started it, but in some ways it validated the situation...and trained parts of some generations. I had my direct reality checks when I was 4.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Americans with Disabilities Act specifically defines a service animal as a dog or miniature horse (good grief...) that has been trained to perform a specific task as it relates to the animal's handler. Not a cat. Not a goat. Not a chicken, pig, or kangaroo. Emotional support pets are a joke. If you are that insecure, then stay home. You do not have any right to make your issue my problem.

p.s. I'm a grumpy old man & I like it that way.

16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Give me the back seat on a Greyhound bus next to the old man drinking out of a bottle in a brown paper sack please .

KWal, getbent, Toto'sDad and 3 others like this.
  17. tamer_of_banthas

Boris,

very good points all. seems a lot of people are adopting pets now to be "on trend," and missing the point that these animals are in fact sentient beings, not accessories for the latest picture you upload to instagram.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

When my Dad (a retired aeronautical engineer who used to develop these things) won't fly commercial anymore, that was my cue to pretty much stop myself.

But I think it is the "commercial" part of it and not actually the airplanes. I still delight in getting an invitation to ride in a small plane for fun.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

It's not a movie. It's a documentary.

2 Headed Goat, nvilletele and Wally like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

Daisy was our Social Ambassadress. She got us introduced and talking in friendly terms to so many people, of so many walks of life. I don't just miss Daisy. I miss the social contact she almost forced on me - the lovely way she interacted with old friends and new acquaintances.

But I don't think we ever took Daisy to Lowe's or Home Depot, even though she's invited there. I'm not in Lowe's to socialize. I want to get things done, correctly, and I have my JOB hat on when I am in there. If you see your old neighbor and wanna say hello, please don't block the lumber or paint. I was tempted to stop in there a few times when Daisy was in the car, then we awoke from that momentary insanity and went to go hike up the new trail behind the Indian Landhold instead.

tery and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.