Airport weirdness

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 23, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I once took the plane with a friend who got drunk because nobody want to be stuck in a plane. He started having a breakdown and the crew members were handling it the best way they could, basically telling me they d have the cops at the airport when we landed. It was pretty akward. No cops at the airport, but we sure did animate the flight.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Good example, but can you name ONE TV commercial that DOESN'T promote stupidity or ineptitude?

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

great thread! I try to fly as little as possible these days... Used to fly a LOT. I do believe that the total number of adults left in the world is about 5% of what it used to be.

Lots of children, lots of teenagers, lots of infants... they are just occupying bodies of 50 year olds...

4. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Nope, and I don’t think it’s an accident. The things we see on TV are called ”programming” for a reason, but that is a very different conversation....

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

how about the one about colitis where the lady has to leave her kid's basketball game constantly to grind until humira, then she can eat fast food after the game....

or the truck commercial where the disabled dude can now haul gravel because the new tailgate that is more versatile?

or ANYTHING about Megan Markle... nothing completely idiotic or repulsive or annoying about her antics while she 'modernizes the monarchy' (this is like 3 minutes of me watching tv)

Have you noticed that the news is at least half commercials that pose as stories (like the cameron douglas 'news' that he spent time in prison for drugs?)

we live in some fun times!

Toto'sDad, nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wonder how many people are so anxious about flying that they drug themselves up to go through with it.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

Dyson commercials. Everyone in them seems smarter than you are. It must be the British accent.

Or is it?

getbent and nojazzhere like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I see narcissism everywhere, not just airports and airplanes. The narcissist doesn’t just act like the world revolves around him. In his world others simply don’t exist. He’s the fool who won’t lift his briefcase from the seat on the train. She’s the one with a full shopping cart on the Express line. He doesn’t clean up after his dog. They bribed their kids into USC. There are countless ways that others treat you like you’re invisible. This has nothing to do with anxiety or PTSD. It’s not a mental illness. It’s an increasingly common character flaw and it’s not limited to the 1%ers by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  9. BigDaddyLH

It's even worse when combined with other traits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_triad And when people like this are in charge?!

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Why didn't the teens just watch a YouTube video on how to change a tire?

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a friend who is 6’7” tall. He gets claustrophobic. He takes meds.
    I have a coworker who simply gets claustrophobic. He takes meds.
    I a coworker who simply fears flying but she has accounts on the east coast. She takes meds.

I know 5 people who take meds to fly.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I do, so that's why I avoid flying as much as possible. It's not the flying part that bothers me but the claustrophobia that results from being crowded into a small area with a mob of mostly jerks.

studio1087 and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

Take two: the antidote is to watch Japanese commercials!

studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

imho, this is a much watch movie...it is full of great laughs even if people miss the point.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Right.

I remember my classmate Ricky, who had just been on a vacation to Disneyland, and our classmates fawned over him for a couple weeks not really because Disneyland, but because Ricky, his sister and his parents had flown on a commercial airline. This was for Movie Stars and Ambassadors and Heads of State. 1963.

Now, I have empathy (and maybe some pity) for the people I know when they have to fly commercial within the lower 48. Even those going to Spain or Japan, I don't envy the plane ride.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I did a whole thread, starting with those two.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I'll only use commercial air travel if there's no better option...including hitchhiking.

18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I fly quite a bit and have seen a lot of weird things on a plane.

The weirdest was when I was flying with my wife one time and we checked all of our bags. I typically don't check bags, my briefcase and roller go on with me but in this case we were taking a long weekend and decided to just check everything (partly because my wife needs four tons of toiletries).

So we get on first (ah, having status is a wonderful thing) and grab our seats. So not a few moments after we sit down a lady comes and gets in the row in front of us. She throws her roller bag up in the overhead bin and then puts her purse next to the roller bag and sits down. Suddenly there is a stewardess from the back who comes and tells the lady that she needs to put the purse under the seat in front of her. The lady tells the stewardess that she will if the baggage bin gets full but she has long legs (I relate) and she would like the extra room. The stewdress is adamant that she must put the bag under the seat in front of her. The lady then says, if I do that then I won't be able to get it back out once we have people in this row.
    They argued for what seemed a few minutes, one making a point and the other making a counterpoint. I finally got tired of the whole affair and told the stewardess I was a "status" passenger and that I had checked all of my luggage and that the lady could use my overhead bin space. She told me that was not an option and that the rules say that one bag in the bin, one bag under the seat. I finally just looked at the lady with the bag and said, give me your purse. She gave it to me and I put it in the bin above my seat. There, I have stowed my baggage can we finally get on with this flight. The stewardess looked long and hard at me and then finally gave up. The lady in front of me told me thanks. We settle in and find that the flight was half full and there were entire overhead bins that were empty.

It is not just the passengers who have no idea how to interact with other humans.

Rustbucket, studio1087 and nojazzhere like this.
  19. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I was in Home Depo last week.
    There was a young couple walking thru the store with a poodle on a leash.

The dog stopped and took a dump in the aisleway. Both of the owners stood there with a look of astonishment on their faces. Apparently they were under the delusion that the dog was the smartest one in their little traveling circus. Lo and behold, they didn't even have the supplies to clean up the miracle. What to do? What to do?

While the gal is furiously thumbing her phone, possibly looking for an app to solve their dilemma, the guy finds a roller cart and pushes it over the doggie doo.

This prompts me to lose my cookies.

My outburst:

REALLY? You're in friggin' Home Depo!
    Go and grab some friggin' garbage bags, open up the box and clean up after your dog you #$%@$$%$ !
    ( Friggin' was not the actual word used)

Some guys watching the whole thing started clapping. I took a bow and walked away.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Japanese commercials seem better because I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what they're about. If I could understand them, I'd probably be offended by them as much as our own. As it is, they're pretty much just a psychedelic acid trip. ;)

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.