Airport weirdness

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Oct 23, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

I fly on lots of short commuter flights for work.

The number of emotional support animals on 60-90 minute flights freak me out. It’s an hour or so. Are you really that nervous?

What about people who are allergic to pet dander? The allergic people fly.

The pet thing is old.

This morning’s thing.......

People who need to bring the bedding that they sleep with nightly onto the plane.

I was in the TSA PRE line this morning and a grown man was ahead of me in line. He’s gabbing on his iPhone, drinking Starbucks and holding a large dirty looking pillow from home. When we were close together the pillow smelled like greasy hair. He had to be 45 years old.

There’s a lady near me with her blanket. She appears to be 50. I saw several full sized bed pillow people.

And many dogs.

I’m going to Philly and it takes 90 minutes. I don’t need my pillow or blanket from my bedroom or my dog.

I downloaded a free Amazon Prime movie to my iPad. I can also do some spreadsheets. I’m set! I bathed and brushed my teeth this morning and I think my boss did the same. We behave well on flights.

If I felt that I needed a gross pillow, blanket or dog to behave for a 90 minute flight I would go see my doctor. After seeing my doctor I would take a Xanax like a normal person. My dog could stay home and sleep with the pillow and blanket that aren’t flying.

I’m clearly a horrible grumpy old man. :rolleyes:

John

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Those people don't really need their dogs, they are mostly selfish people working the system.

I wish people were forced to put their carry-on stuff in the bin over their seat, not in the bins closest to the exit , if you really need that stuff with you, it should be above your seat, not mine.

Flying has become the equivalent of riding a city bus or subway, just a longer ride.

Hiker, jon9, 6stringcowboy and 15 others like this.
  3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

We've become a society of enablers.

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

stxrus, jon9, stevemc and 23 others like this.
  5. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

The subway is much more pleasant.

6. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I 'm living for the emotional guitar legislation introduction..

studio1087 likes this.
  7. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Not to sidetrack the thread, just to confirm I'm a grumpy old gyrl.

How about the car commercial with the young guy walking with his nose in his phone and wearing earbuds. He walks into a group of joggers, they all move out of his way. Then he walks in the path of a lady backing out of her driveway.
    The message:
    Luckily she bought a car with rear view cameras to warn her that this idiot just stumbles thru life counting on the rest of humanity to watch out for him, because he's too busy living his best life.
    :rolleyes:

8. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Society is on a downward slide.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

upload_2019-10-23_8-42-27.jpeg

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

"... we still got a long way down..." :D

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    studio1087 likes this.
  11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Show a little sympathy. Those people are homeless.

An airline ticket costs less than rent.

Wake up in Milwaukee, go back to sleep in Philly.

12. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Not at the airport but odd passenger behaviour in the air:
    #1 Thirty years ago I was a flying spanner on a large turboprop and doubled up as a flight attendant when necessary (not by choice :mad:).
    We'd flown a charter of Spanish politicians to northern England and once they'd disembarked, we started cleaning up the cabin. One of the passengers had vomited into a seat-back pocket despite the flight being as calm as a millpond. I found this out when I put my hand inside.
    #2 Flying to Brussels from Africa as a passenger - saw a woman in the middle row of seats change her baby's nappy on her knee and then throw it under her seat. She later put her breakfast left-overs into a sick bag and then into her handbag.

aerhed and studio1087 like this.
  13. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I concur. I fly a lot and spend a lot of time in airports, a typical month for me is about 16 hours in the air and another 12 or so spent in airports on layovers. You see some baffling things. The inability to cope with even basic stresses is worn like a badge of honor. And speaking of what is being worn, I have some thoughts about people dressing publicly like the world is their living room on Netflix night, but now I’m going to start sounding like a grumpy old man...

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I thought this was going to be about Denver international airport...

Anyway, you don't know the half of it. My wife works for the airlines (or as they use it in their name "air lines"), and due to the nature of her job (she handles all the public relations/customer complaint/media 'red ball' events that the CEO receives) she hears it all, and so much of it is WEIRD. I refuse to fly anymore because of the things I've heard over the years. Air travel is nothing more than an airborne Greyhound bus.

I can tell you that even though there are some bullsh*t emotional support animal situations, most of them are completely valid. You might (or might not) be surprised at the number of people with panic/anxiety (having nothing to do with air travel) as well as PTSD and so on.

Recently there was an event with two women bringing an emotional support animal (ESA) on the plane, that was completely absurd. It was a media stunt perpetrated by some news program (allegedly an investigate reports styled program) and they wanted to see if they could get this "ESA" on board a commercial flight. Reason being, that if airline "X" allowed it, then they were deemed a good, open minded airline that cared about the public, blah, blah, blah. But if they didn't allow the ESA, which was a freaking goat, of all things, then airline "X" was bad and didn't care about the public, etc, etc.

Probably more than you care to know, but I thought you might find some of the things that go on helpful in clarifying what you are actually dealing with.

As an aside - if anyone thinks the TSA is actually making anything safer for anyone, just know it's a false sense of security.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Modern medicine, science, and social "tolerance" have all but eliminated Nature's ability to allow a natural selection of who survives and procreates. In past societies, MOST of the examples you cite would never have been permitted to exist. Whether this is good or not is not for me to determine.....I'm simply making an observation.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That down and up has been a cycle since we figured out we didn't need to be hunter/gatherers.

Don't blame me for the rest, and I've trained my family. Even for international travel and when there's mask, snorkel, fins, ski, fishing or other sports gear we've got it dialed to where we take a legal carry on and only 1-2 checked bags.

Looking around and lots of other people and travel is SO WTF to me. If only for customer service you want your travel routine and look dialed. I'm absolutely convinced we do better than average at checkin, TSA, customs, car rental and hotels by not carrying the farm, kitchen sink or looking crazy beyond that we cannot help.

17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

The last flight I took (just last week), in economy of course, a woman brought a tablecloth along with food and fixed up her little drop table like a real dining room table. To eat her cheese, biscuits and banana. A little over-the-top I figured. I hate flying.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Did she floss in her seat after "dining"?

19. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

20. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

The other one that really “grinds my gears” is the insurance commercial with the two teenaged boys on the side of the road with a flat tire. It is portrayed as funny that neither one of them know how to change a tire, or even how to identify the tools to do so. The commercial is not a reminder to teach your kids basic vehicle maintenance skills before turning them loose on the road, but is rather a reminder that you NEED a roadside assistance plan from your insurance provider to rescue them. Why must we celebrate incompetence?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.