1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Airplane Crash

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think your going way to far down this rabbit hole...…… See what I did there?

P Thought and getbent like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

First, anyone.... ANYONE who says "i am not a prude"... by definition.. is a prude. Own it.

Second, this ad is not egregious in any measure... all this generational definition that is being discussed is created, made up. Most people don't care. 55 year olds meet and marry 35 year olds all the time and to good effect... get over the ageist nonsense. substitute your generational terms (and subsequent slurs) with races or nationalities and your 'non prude' eyes will grow large.

The focus of this ad is not the 60's or drugs... it is the play on Alice in Wonderland. The ship is wonderland, she is alice and she is having a life changing (for the better) experience by being on the ship, taking a nap on a chaisse lounge and in her room.

Her marital status (umm lots of peeps don't wear rings these days) is orthogonal to the point of the ad... she is a young person on a journey... and a good way to go on a journey is a cruise... on a putatively safe ship to a fun but safe destination....

I think it might be safe to unbunch our panties.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Another way isn’t our way though.

4. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Doubling up on her micro-dosing is my guess.

Or perhaps the cruise lines are equipped with dispensaries these days.

Can’t say, never been on any kind of trip depicted here.

I am a prude.

getbent likes this.
  5. Jim622

I would guess most people under say 35 would not get the drug references as much as us older folk.

getbent likes this.
  6. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

:lol:
    Probably correct. Which is why we are likely to see an ad for a Tuxedo Rental Shop focused on teenagers and their parents with Zevon's "Excitable Boy" as the music....:lol:

eclecticsynergy and Greggorios like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My buddy said if he got happy for four hours, he wasn't calling no damned doctor, he was callin' channel 29!

stevemc likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Has anybody told them that they're actually driving a chevy with an ugly grill?

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I heard White Rabbit being played on a commercial, but didn't even pay attention to what they were selling. Still a great song, and I don't get offended when 50 years later an old song is used commercially UNTIL I saw one of those nutty "crazy loner" Lincoln Navigator ads with Matthew McConaughey, where he drives to an iced-over lake, drills a hole, drops a fishing line, then sits on the bumper of his Lincoln whistling the Andy Griffith show theme OUT OF TUNE!

THAT was blaspheme, and I'm very disappointed, Matthew...

10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I totally agree it's just a straw, (man). It's only that this is the one that broke my camel's back.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    getbent, Toto'sDad and Strat Jacket like this.
  11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I just watched the commercial on Youtube. Forgive me P Thought, but I actually liked it. In fact, it's the best (and only) cruise ship commercial I can recall. And imagine Grace's grandkids brimming with pride when the commercial comes on. I completely understand your indignation. I just don't share in it.

Skully and P Thought like this.
  12. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

It's Bernie Taupin, Martin Page, Dennis Lambert and Peter Wolf, but not the lead singer of J. Geils Band. Wolf is a German-born keyboardist and songwriter who played on their previous album "Nuclear Furniture" and co-wrote its single "No Way Out" with his wife, Ina Wolf. He also co-wrote a bunch of tunes on Slick's "Software," which I think is her best solo album, hippie-enraging synths and all. I saw Wolf play with Jefferson Starship on two shows from that tour (including Paul Kantner's last show with that incarnation of the band), and he did a cool flute-like synth solo over the opening of "White Rabbit" using a breath controller.

Indeed. It probably offends so many because it doesn't just use the tune as incongruous accompaniment, divorced from anything approaching the true meaning of the song. It actually co-opts the imagery and twists it to fit its needs.

getbent and Jim622 like this.
  13. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Ad exec 1: Nobody listens to the lyrics.

Ad exec 2: Hey, if "Bobby McGee" can sell Mercedes and "Pink Moon" Volkswagens, then why shouldn't "White Rabbit" sell cruise ship cabins? Gotta go, I have a hard 11AM coming up.

P Thought and GGardner like this.
  14. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Holic

Can't say I've seen the offending commercial. I generally use commercials to either sprint for a much needed bathroom break, or use the remote to pause the show I'm watching for 15 minutes while I do some meaningful task and then FF through all the commercials.
    I do get the part of it being the straw that broke the OP's back though...I had my fill when Chevy trucks began using "Like A Rock" as background to shill their vehicles. Completely ruined a great song for me. The Airplane were so counter-culture that using White Rabbit to promote, of all things, cruises (which smack of snobbery and high society culture) is so ludicrous as to be laughable.

Bassman8 likes this.
  15. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Holic

Right on. I saw this the other evening and turned to my wife and said "What the hell was that?"
    She didn't get it either.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like the redhead in this commercial, too.

But she seems to have her eye on the young female in the Nautical Attire who comes to check on her (at least in some versions of this ad).

Hmm.

getbent and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They're whoring the insterment we love

Greggorios likes this.
  18. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Money for nothin' and the chicks are free.

How can we be offended by this sort of pablum? It's not worth our energy. Play your guitar, friend.

Jim622 and P Thought like this.
  19. Jim622

Interesting - I stand corrected....still a pretty crappy song

20. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister

...gets you there on time.

“We been trying to to sell out for years, nobody was buying!” Jerry Garcia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.